Violin music primer please...
Sep 24, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #17 of 50
wow... this is giving me a lot to look for. Thanks everyone
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR
I'm a violinist myself.

cool, ever play at Union station? [j/k]

Actually my younger sister plays as well. She lives on the other side of Canada though, so I dont see her too often.

Sep 24, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #19 of 50
Tchaikovsky violin concerto in d, Jascha Heifetz and Carl Reiner conducting the Chicago Symphony -- the definitive performance of the work. Now remastered by JVC with their Xrcd2 20 bit process. Outrageously expensive, but it begins to approach the sound of the vinyl. If you have money to burn, this sheds a beautiful light.

Sep 25, 2004 at 7:49 AM Post #20 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Anyways, I know absolutely nothing about classical music. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of some good violin players or albums...

I only know about Isaac Stern and Itzhak Perlman. (Should know more but I'm not into classical anymore, sorry.)

I don't know specific albums, but there are a number of seminal masterpieces by the famous composers, like Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik (Mozart also did 3 separate violin concertos in addition), Tchaikovsky's only violin concerto (he literally has only one, can't be hard to find), Vivaldi's The Four Seasons, Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, etc. Many more. Then you have the Romantic and 20th century period, wow there's so much music there too. Gustav Holst's The Planets (awesome, awesome stuff), Aaron Copland's work, etc.

One of the last pieces I learned (I'm a violinist too but stopped taking lessons 7 years ago due to college) was Eduard Lalo's Symphonie Espagnole (translation: Spanish Symphony). Very dramatic, and very Spanish I might add, if you're into that kind of thing.
wink.gif

Sep 26, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #22 of 50
Quote:

I was just thinking of something else as well. Is the Lute played at all any more? If so does anyone have any suggestions for Lute peices? I was always intrigued by the Lute ever since reading the 'Trio for Lute' series by R. A. MacAvoy.

Violins? Lutes? You should definitely consider Ancient Dances & Airs by Ottorino Respighi. I have the Mercury Living Presence recording with Antal Dorati conducting the Philharmonia Hungarica. I have it on hybrid SACD but is also available on CD.

-Z

Oct 1, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #25 of 50
Bach: Cello Suites - try Starker on Mercury. Coming out on SACD soon. Is already out on CD and LP(speakers corner). Great up front(in your face) sonics, sounds like Starker is in your living room at around 5 feet away!

Bach: Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin- Milstein, Szeryng or Rachel Podger(recommened for sonics).

Bruch: Scottish Fantasia for violin and orchestra. Get Heifetz or Oistakh. This is a lovely piece for the violin newbie.

Lalo: Symphonie Espagnole for violin and orchestra. The Szeryng recording on RCA is a fine performance with great sonics.

Oct 1, 2004 at 1:12 PM Post #26 of 50
I'm going to have a nice shopping list by the time I get all my birthday gift certificates. [my family tends to get me certificates to music stores]

Thanks again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #28 of 50
I still have not found the voilin CD that I've been looking for, but my Wife got me John Dowland's Complete Lute Works as performed by Paul O'Dette for christmas. It's so interesting to hear music from that time period, quite an eye opener. Paul O'Dette is a very talented performer and I look forward to hearing more of his work in the future.
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #29 of 50
Quote:

I still have not found the voilin CD that I've been looking for, but my Wife got me John Dowland's Complete Lute Works as performed by Paul O'Dette for christmas. It's so interesting to hear music from that time period, quite an eye opener. Paul O'Dette is a very talented performer and I look forward to hearing more of his work in the future.
wink.gif

O'Dette has also done Lord Cherbury's Lute Book as well. Those are pieces written for the 10 course lute.

Jan 11, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #30 of 50
Thanks, I plan on picking up some more paul o'dette in the future.
smily_headphones1.gif

I just picked up three new classical CD's from HMV. They have a 3 for $20 deal on all of the 'eloquence' label. If they turn out to be recorded well, I might go back there and drop another 20-80 and get most of the set.
tongue.gif

The three that I got today are:

nicolo paganini - violin concertos [henryk szeryng; london symphony orchestra; sir alexander gibson]

wolfgang amadeus mozart & joseph haydn - horn concertos [barry tuckwell; london symphony orchestra; academy of st. martin-in-the-fields; peter maag; sir neville marriner]

edvard grieg - peer gynt suites & piano concerto [geza anda; berlin philharmonic; herbert von karajan; rafael kubelik]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back