Violectric V800 DAC
Aug 20, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #16 of 31
The only DAC I've done a direct comparison with is the Apogee Rosetta 200. In the past I've owned the Lavry DA10, Lavry blue, Xindak DAC-8, Stello DA-220, Monarchy M22 & NM22, Lite, Trends, and a few others. As you can tell, I've been through a lot of DAC's in the last 5 years. I find this unit to be the best sonically out of all of them. I honestly can't find any major flaws with the unit, which is a big deal. Top to bottom it just sounds right-tight, musical, and dynamic. I think it does what any good DAC should do, get out of the way, and play high quality music. Once my kids go back to school I plan to get some good listening in with my speaker rig. That should further show it's performance. I find that headphone rigs don't always tell the whole story, compared to a quality speaker setup.

As for the quality of the various inputs-it's tough, because I have only used the coax input with my Sonicweld Diverter, or the usb input direct without the Diverter. The coax input with Diverter option was definitely superior. Judging from that experience, I would have to think that the balanced input from a high quality source would be dynamite too.

Aug 21, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #17 of 31
That's a formidable list of DACs
smile_phones.gif

Seems a bit similar to the DAC modules of the V200, in that USB is not quite on par with the other inputs. 

It's the opposite of something like the Weiss Dac 2, which sounds better through its firewire input than it does through coax or balanced.

Aug 21, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #18 of 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacore /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Once my kids go back to school I plan to get some good listening in with my speaker rig. That should further show it's performance. I find that headphone rigs don't always tell the whole story, compared to a quality speaker setup.

Looking forward to your updated impressions! I´m strugling with a V800 vs Sabre32 DAC choice... 

Dec 12, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #19 of 31
The volume control on the V800 DAC is actually one of my favorite features. It's different than the analog volume control on the V181 amp. The V800's volume control appears to maintain a constant relation of bass/middle/treble, whereas when I turn the V181's volume control down, there will be less treble, and, I think, also less bass. I think this is quite typical for analog volume control, at least it didn't surprise me until I got the V800 and noticed the difference. Music seemed to "always" have richer treble (and bass) when turned loud. So, in effect, I can control the sound a bit by either using one or the other volume control, or mixing both.

With some albums or single tracks, I have the problem that treble is too sharp or harsh. I had the same problem with the Apogee Duet (and a bit more with the AKG K702 than with the Sennheiser HD-650), so I don't think it is the V800. In any case, until I find out what the "proper" cure for this small problem is, I use the V181 volume control to reduce the treble as much as needed, and otherwise use the V800 volume control since it has a richer sound at lower volumes. Maybe it's a bit more complicated than I describe it, and maybe that's not what volume controls are meant for, but it turns out that both volume controls are very useful to have.

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #20 of 31
Actually, it's quite surprising that the V800 volume control maintains a constant relation between bass/middle/treble since your hearing does dot maintain that balance itself [see equal loudness contours]. Either the V800 volume control is tweaking things up, or there's something else going on.

Quote:
The V800's volume control appears to maintain a constant relation of bass/middle/treble, whereas when I turn the V181's volume control down, there will be less treble, and, I think, also less bass. I think this is quite typical for analog volume control.

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:
Sonicweld Diverter, or the usb input direct without the Diverter. The coax input with Diverter option was definitely superior. Judging from that experience, I would have to think that the balanced input from a high quality source would be dynamite too.

Sonicweld Diverter, huh? Dang, high roller. I have a high end DAC and still haven't forked out that much for a converter.

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #22 of 31
Just signed up to aknowledge the fact the V800 is a capable performer.  Given a good source it gets deep into recordings and delivers with thunderous dynamics when called for.  Its resolved a few tricky recordings for me explaining exactly whats going off with an iron grip.  Pitched against my turntable with the same material its capable of a fraction more grip and a pleasing similarity in balance although maybe a tiny bit more of a recessed layering with the different musical elements which gives you a sense of being drawn into various layers.  However its not problematic due to the ease at which the unit delivers micro detail.

I`ve heard nothing more capable of getting the whole picture of a recording but with this obsession it has with imagery and staging the focus on the flow of the music can loose a little impact.  Elements in the soundstage appear with more detail but at a percieved increase in distance.  It seems it wont pull something to the foreground and make a meal of it unless the recording states it to be the case.

On the whole I intend to keep this unit and re-discover my digital collection.  It cannot be faulted in terms of spend its the price of say the tonearm on my turntable alone yet delivers a more informative picture.

The USB connection delivers quite well although theres a slight sense of matter of fact about the sound.  Its really geared to handle much better sources.  With the Arcam CD73 warmed up as a transport I find myself falling into a hologrphical layerd sound that will make you look round the room to see what that was luming up on you.

I look forward to soldering some balanced interconnects to see what more can be squeezed out of this tiny box.
it responded well to an upgrade power cord.
(the RCA sockets have a slight right handed charecture.  I have exactly the same problem with the budget Vdac.  but given the space to play with on the back facia and the fact balanced is there waiting for action I can forgive the use of a board mount RCA socket)

other equipment:-
DNM 3C (pre amp)
Arcam P80 and A80 (converted to power amp)
Arcam CD73 (as transport)
Linn Katan (speakers)

If anyone would care to know more feel free to contact me, I appreciate feedback myself when im going to wave goodbye to this sort of spend.

Violectric V800

The Shrine.

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #23 of 31

Quote:
Actually, it's quite surprising that the V800 volume control maintains a constant relation between bass/middle/treble since your hearing does dot maintain that balance itself [see equal loudness contours]. Either the V800 volume control is tweaking things up, or there's something else going on.

Quote:
The V800's volume control appears to maintain a constant relation of bass/middle/treble, whereas when I turn the V181's volume control down, there will be less treble, and, I think, also less bass. I think this is quite typical for analog volume control.

Definitely something I'd like to find out. My new system still seems to be going through break-in changes, so I'll wait until the sounds seems stable and then make some comparisons with other volume controls. Meanwhile I'm enjoying the much larger window the new equipment gives me into the music, a new world seems to be opening up... :)

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #24 of 31
The volumes well implemented but im hearing a sharp roll off in the lower frequencies and retainment of the extreme high frequencies as you turn it down.  I use the DNM pre-amp dual volume controls anyhow and in that manner it maintains a more natural mid presense than the V800`s control.

Dec 15, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #25 of 31

Quote:
Sonicweld Diverter, huh? Dang, high roller. I have a high end DAC and still haven't forked out that much for a converter.

Well, after going through a number of cheaper USB converters, I heard the Diverter, and knew I couldn't go back. Yes it's expensive, but the sonics justify the price for me.

As for the V800-I've owned it for 4 months now and I'm still loving it. I definitely feel it's equals or beats anything in it's price range. I'm sure there are better DAC's out there, but this unit satisfies me, and has kept me from looking further.

Dec 16, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #26 of 31
Well, I assume the Diverter works better than the USB on the Violectric?

The problem with buying a Sonic Diverter is that I'd have to spend beaucoup bucks on a USB and digital cable. I didn't really want to do that so I got a Halide Bridge.

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #27 of 31
hi all of you
I am a proud owner of an v800 dac '
i just received it a few weeks ago and by the now i am very impresed by the sound of this little dac
my v800 is connected to a lenovo laptop with foobar2000 music management soft
the analog outuput us connected to an improved version of a pseudo lehmann ha i did and buid myself (without pcbs !!)
the output of my diy HA feed a T1 beyerdynamic hedphones
what ca i said by the moment all my music had been rediscovered once again
the sound transparency and detail is just fenomenal
i will put an expanded personal experiences
I had to thank all of you here that made  my purchase dacv800 decision  solid and clear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back