Violectric V222 and V202
Mar 31, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #1,651 of 1,756
I may hold you to that!

So you just testing or not happening with your DAC?

Their are a lot of really good amps but finding a good DAC is fools gold, I was told.

Have you tried the V800 yet?
Mostly amp chasing for Hifiman pairing, but Mentor is sounding closer to what I'm looking for. V222 is very fun bit from the start always feel it snuffs the "air" out of hifimans. Burson 3XP spoiled me in soundstage.
I am thinking the Ares will suffice, something about the BF2's presentation never really sat right with me. I'm a sucker for large holographic soundstages- a Hifiman fan after all

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #1,652 of 1,756
Mostly amp chasing for Hifiman pairing, but Mentor is sounding closer to what I'm looking for. V222 is very fun bit from the start always feel it snuffs the "air" out of hifimans. Burson 3XP spoiled me in soundstage.
I am thinking the Ares will suffice, something about the BF2's presentation never really sat right with me. I'm a sucker for large holographic soundstages- a Hifiman fan after all
Ever get a chance to try the Bryston BHA 1 or the SPL Phonitor 2 out with the hybrids, They are both pretty high-end apps that are well known for third grade sound at a basic detail. I plan to be testing these both odd by Arya Stealth's over the next few bud says they get introduced into my collection.

Mar 31, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #1,653 of 1,756
Ever get a chance to try the Bryston BHA 1 or the SPL Phonitor 2 out with the hybrids, They are both pretty high-end apps that are well known for third grade sound at a basic detail. I plan to be testing these both odd by Arya Stealth's over the next few bud says they get introduced into my collection.
I'll have to consider, in that price range the Hifiman Prelude on a sale looms also

Apr 3, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #1,654 of 1,756
I got my V222 home yesterday, and I have to say that the difference against my RME headphone amp was bigger than I expected, the sound is definitely warmer with more body and deeper bass, RME sounds more analytical and digs out more details in the treble, V222 rolls off more in the treble area, what you like is more a matter of taste.

I like the V222 more so it was a good buy for me, but if tube amps are even warmer in sound than the V222, it would have been too much for me personally, but the V222 is perfect for anyone who likes Solid States but wants a bit warmer and less analytical sound.

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #1,655 of 1,756
I got my V222 home yesterday, and I have to say that the difference against my RME headphone amp was bigger than I expected, the sound is definitely warmer with more body and deeper bass, RME sounds more analytical and digs out more details in the treble, V222 rolls off more in the treble area, what you like is more a matter of taste.

I like the V222 more so it was a good buy for me, but if tube amps are even warmer in sound than the V222, it would have been too much for me personally, but the V222 is perfect for anyone who likes Solid States but wants a bit warmer and less analytical sound.
Congrats on your new shiny! Just dropping to say that not all tube amplifiers are warm per se, some of them have very solid state characteristics.

Enjoy!

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #1,656 of 1,756

Glad you like it! Are you running balanced or single ended output from the amp?

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #1,658 of 1,756
Has anyone ever compared the v800 to the v850, Is there much of a difference?

Also, has anyone gone from a v222 to 590 V3?

I understand some of the owners of these items are probably moved off to different forums but just wondering people with the 222s would like to try man on weather. There is much worse to the upgrade.

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #1,659 of 1,756
Also, has anyone gone from a v222 to 590 V3?
I didn't know there was a v3 already. Do you mean Violectric v590 v3?

From what I gather there are split opinions about the v222 vs v550. I posted a comparison about the v222 vs v550 (Non-pro) somewhere. I preferred the v550. I traded my v222 for a v550. The other member likes the v222 more. I don't own the v550 anymore, I own the v222 now because I needed the money.

If you mean the v590 as an AIO solution, I haven't heard that one. Just the v550 with Soekirs 2541 and Wandla (Both gone).

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #1,660 of 1,756
I running it balanced from RME ADI-2 to my HD800s, I don't have a balanced cable for my HD600 yet, any tips? I thought about Custom Cans in UK.
Mostly used a 4.4mm pentacon that I got with the HD660s for my HD650's. I do have some aftermarket cables, but they are generally for my more expensive headphones as most of them are on the pricey side.

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #1,661 of 1,756
"True Confession"... I just received my V222 and all I can say is WOOOOOOW!!!
This amp is simple PERFECTION!!
The sound, The power is spot on!
What this does for the music is AMAZING!
I was torn between this and possibly the ZMF Homage... well, I thought I'd give this a shot 1st and 3-4 hours in... this amp makes ALL the sense for my ZMFs... dynamics AND planar. Does it replace my tubes? Nope. It's not supposed to and I didn't approach it as a replacement, simply as a solid state option... one that's truly “SOLID” and GREAT sounding. This was found today!

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 3:48 AM Post #1,662 of 1,756

I had these two the same time, and I agree about 80%
The 20% i don't agree is from the treble: I don't find the RME treble to be more detailed, just that it sounds thinner and therefore the treble is pronounced.
In my opinion this does lead to perceived additional "detail" that I think is not meant to be there.
You could test this by using RME as a dac, and increase the treble from the EQ.
RME is by the way an excellent AOI solution, and dac inside it is very capable.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #1,664 of 1,756
Apr 4, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #1,665 of 1,756
Also, has anyone gone from a v222 to DHA V590²?
I’m currently running these side by side to see if the V222 is „good enough“ for me when using an external DAC anyway. Jury is still out, though…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back