Violectric V222 and V202
Mar 1, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #1,516 of 1,759
Friends, V222 arrived today.
I had a few hours to listen and do some tests.
I only used the Qutest as a DAC, as I've already decided that I'm going to leave the Ares II just for my stereo speaker system in the living room.

Therefore, theoretically, the V222 would already be starting at a disadvantage, as I am using the single-ended input, instead of the XLR.
But, you will see later that this advantage of Lyr+ was not enough…

Please understand that these are the impressions of someone who is almost new to the hi-fi hobby, but has enjoyed and listened to music for many years.

These are initial impressions, but I don't know if there would be room for any changes over time.
If there was a change, I think it would be in favor of the V222, which arrived completely new today and had its first few hours of use…
The Lyr+, I recently bought here from a very reliable Head-fi and had already been using it for a few months…

Overall, I found the V222 to be a bit more intimate and to have an exceptional bass presentation. Clean, well-controlled and very meaty bass. Better control in songs with strong highs. And an overall fuller presentation.

The Lyr+, to my ears, would win in the soundstage department and has a slightly more open presentation, especially for classical, live and acoustic music.

This description above already made me have a preference for the V222. But, there were details that stood out and made me take the Headphone out of my head and think: “Decided!! This is the amplifier!!”

The details were these:

Focal Clear:
In the first song (“6:00”) from Dream Theater's album Awake, the first 45 seconds of the song is impressive the control that the V222 has over this Focal Clear dynamic driver. What is this beat, my friends? What meaty bass is this?? Incredible!

HE1000 stealth:
The first song on Jalen Ngonda's album, “Come around and love me” becomes very difficult and tiring to listen to if the synergy doesn't control Jalen's high notes, which are strong in this song, especially.
I simply feel like I would get tired much faster if I had to listen to it on Lyr+.
The V222 is more calming…
I would listen to this song many times in a row on V222…
On the Lyr+, you would have to stop to rest your ears after the third repetition.

HD800s:
In fact, the Lyr+ has a slightly larger soundstage, but on the other hand it sounds thinner (compared to the V222) in almost all songs.
The V222 has a slightly more intimate presentation, but just like the Focal Clear, the Vio has very good control of the dynamic drive, even on the HD800s, the V222 manages to deliver clean and satisfying bass.
I think Lyr would only win in classical songs and some live performances.
But, it's not enough to stay alongside the V222.

I think the Lyr+, which I recently bought from a trusted Head-fier, will return to the classifieds.

I don't think it justifies keeping both.
Don't get me wrong, the Lyr+ is a very good amplifier, it's just that, to my ears and my system, it had a much stronger opponent on almost all sides.
Glad you enjoy the V222 with your HD800S! Which is your favorite pairing so far?

Mar 1, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #1,517 of 1,759
Glad you enjoy the V222 with your HD800S! Which is your favorite pairing so far?
V222 was great with everyone!!!

I confess that I spent more time listening to the HEK stealth. Wonderful!!
Full bass, but the details are all there. I didn't worry too much about the soundstage, as the style of music I listen to with the HEK stealth wouldn't require much soundstage.
I think the difference for the Lyr+ is not that noticeable in this area.

I use the HD800s more when I listen to classical music or a good acoustic. I think I'll see myself using Lyr+ more for this...
I found it a little more open to my ears. I'll keep both amps. But, I'm sure if I didn't have the HEK stealth and had to use the HD800s for other styles of music, I would definitely listen to the V222 more.

The Focal Clear I use to listen to Rock / Progressive / Hard… on the V222 is exceptional!!

In short, after so much talking, sorry about this… 😄
For every type of music, the headphones I used sounded wonderful.
I'll keep the Lyr+ for classical music only on the HD800s. For everything else, the V222 is the amplifier.

Mar 1, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #1,518 of 1,759
The V222 doesn't have any kind of disadvantage when you are using the single ended input. The working principle of the V222 is the single ended input has priority and XLR balanced input is also converted to single ended signals before it goes to the balanced amplifier. So don't worry since you are getting %100 of the amplifier.
It has less power single ended then the v202? Can´t really find the measurements now so maybe I recall wrong. But if it´s the exact same components that should be the only variable I suppose and very few headphones where power would be the issue :)

Tried it with Emu Teak and Kennerton Magni now as well both single ended no complaints. Emu Teak I thought would be a poor match but the results was not what I expected. I felt it had to much bass on for example the rme adi-2 it was obvious and made everything sound unbalanced and the big deep heavy bass on my ether c flow made me believe it would be to much but I am not getting what I expected. But this amp surely do all to have me focus on those juicy bass guitars so maybe it´s just due to that lol

It now kind of reminds me a bit more with the denon 5200 I tried which I liked but I went for Kennerton Magni instead with it´s glorious dynamic capabilities. Its the first to ever show signs of sharpness on the V222 at higher volumes. It has always been brilliant also here so that is nothing new.

Mar 1, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #1,519 of 1,759
It has less power single ended then the v202? Can´t really find the measurements now so maybe I recall wrong. But if it´s the exact same components that should be the only variable I suppose and very few headphones where power would be the issue :)

Tried it with Emu Teak and Kennerton Magni now as well both single ended no complaints. Emu Teak I thought would be a poor match but the results was not what I expected. I felt it had to much bass on for example the rme adi-2 it was obvious and made everything sound unbalanced and the big deep heavy bass on my ether c flow made me believe it would be to much but I am not getting what I expected. But this amp surely do all to have me focus on those juicy bass guitars so maybe it´s just due to that lol

It now kind of reminds me a bit more with the denon 5200 I tried which I liked but I went for Kennerton Magni instead with it´s glorious dynamic capabilities. Its the first to ever show signs of sharpness on the V222 at higher volumes. It has always been brilliant also here so that is nothing new.
The V202 is half the V222. Two power amplifiers instead of four. The single ended output of the V222 is exactly the as the V202. Same power output and only one difference., the V202 is the only Violectric amplifier with a feedback gain +8 dB compared to the single ended outputs of all the other amplifiers which is +2 dB.

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:22 AM Post #1,520 of 1,759
Any comparson of the V222 with Schiit Mjolnir 3 so far as they are about the same price, MJ3's is full Class A so looks interesting.
Did you get any responses to this question/. I am also interested in a V222 vs Schiit MJ3 comparo. Could anyone who has heard them both chime in? Many thanks

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #1,521 of 1,759
Mar 2, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #1,522 of 1,759
Mar 2, 2024 at 7:38 AM Post #1,523 of 1,759
WaveTheorys review is out now. As a former Jotunheim owner do you agree about the schiit people and lake schiit comments and Jotunheim being similar and perhaps better for low impedance headphones where the v222 is more optimized for high impedance?

Suspect it´s a lot of splitting hairs involved I don´t feel I loose that much versus the hd 800S I am listening to now. It certainly does work well with the V222 also. Focal Elear will be interesting but it seem to share the same trait as the utopia being absolutely nuts on what amplifiers to drive it with. Trafomatic Audio Head One is the only amp I ever really liked it with and get a good tonality but with that it´s stellar.

Mar 2, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #1,524 of 1,759
WaveTheorys review is out now. As a former Jotunheim owner do you agree about the schiit people and lake schiit comments and Jotunheim being similar and perhaps better for low impedance headphones where the v222 is more optimized for high impedance?
I had Jotunheim R, it is designed for raal headphones so I really can't tell. But I would say that V222 is a bit overkill for IEM:s

22Ω Composer, 32Ω Meze Elite and 420Ω adx5000 sound excellent on V222, so I would not say that V222 is sub optimal for low impedance hp:s

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #1,525 of 1,759
I had Jotunheim R, it is designed for raal headphones so I really can't tell. But I would say that V222 is overkill for IEM:s.

22Ω Composer, 32Ω Meze Elite and 420Ω adx5000 sound excellent on V222, so I would not say that V222 is sub optimal for low impedance hp:s
It might be overkill, but it’s a big selling point for me to be able to use IEMs and my ZMFs with the same amp. The V222 works flawlessly for both at -18 gain (I’m a relatively quiet listener). Works great with my Mest mk2 and Symphonium Crimson.

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #1,526 of 1,759
Here the brochures of the new HPA V202 and HPA V222 - hopefully now without typo ...
Just looking at these amps and regarding the spec, the tech sheet on the Violectric site has different figures. Could you confirm which set are correct please @fdg

Violectric.de/en link (in German): https://www.violectric.de/media/pdf/b9/40/64/Violectric_HPA_V222_TechGuide_DE_2022_10.pdf
Specifically I'm looking at the mW and Ua (V) figures for 32 ohm

p.s. the 202 brochure you posted and the current V202 tech spec are even further apart!

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #1,528 of 1,759
I had Jotunheim R, it is designed for raal headphones so I really can't tell. But I would say that V222 is a bit overkill for IEM:s***
*** not with the ability to set 'pre-gain' at -18dB via the rear dual DIP switch sets.

Mar 4, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #1,529 of 1,759
*** not with the ability to set 'pre-gain' at -18dB via the rear dual DIP switch sets.
I mean it drives those well, but I would choose something else if I only used IEM:s.
Maybe RME-ADI-2 DAC Fs or something in that size

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #1,530 of 1,759
I mean it drives those well, but I would choose something else if I only used IEM:s.
Maybe RME-ADI-2 DAC Fs or something in that size
?🤔? HPA V222 does not take up much space ...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back