Violectric V222 and V202
Jul 28, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #691 of 1,759
Excellent review - many thanks. :smile_phones:
I bought the V222 a while ago because of the alleged tubey sound. I (still) have an iCAN pro amp, that has a tube mode, but where the effect to me seems very modest. Never had the guts to invest in tubes, so insight of the good reviews of the V280, I took the jump. Meanwhile, I discovered that I could swap tube in my dac (Pro iDSD) so that potentially would benefit any connected amp. As regard the V222, the improvement (relative to the iDSD) wasn't that huge. However, after a while it seems to me that the V222 has a really black background. Seems somewhat deeper than the iDSD. (However, the iDSD has the Xbass, that I love). Somewhat different flavors - but very nice indeed. Question: I have many HPs, most of them Grados and as such, easy to drive. The gain switches on the V222, I have set to - 18dB and that works fine. I do use Roon though, and there I have added another -12dB, just to get more room for volume adjustment (on the very, very nice knob). Does it make any difference in the SQ or overall performance to adjust the gain "twice"?
PS I forgot to state, that I really believe that the V222 is a keeper (as the iDSD:dt880smile:)
I hear you! I can't see me ever selling the V220 or the iFi Pro iCAN. Other amps come and go, but those two are special.

If you're a collector, every collection should include a Violectric model, IMO. :thumbsup:

Jul 28, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #692 of 1,759
@TooFrank Thank you very much for reading. The V222 is truly unique and a most beloved solid state headphone amplifier. Regarding the gain, I am not sure because I don't use software gain. Theoretically there shouldn't be a problem. Are the Grado so easy to drive that -18dB isn't enough?
Yes - 18dB is fine, but it is nice to be able to turn the knob a bit more (and sense the "clicks", when doing so :smile_phones: )

Jul 28, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #693 of 1,759
Thank you. If you have read carefully, I am very accurately describing the working principle of the amplifier and how input signals are converted to unbalanced before the volume control and buffering and then are converted to symmetrical for amplifying :smirk::smirk:
I know very well how Violectric amplifiers work.
True balanced means that it is balanced from input to output and never converted to single ended, not just output stage being balanced.

Jul 29, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #694 of 1,759
True balanced means that it is balanced from input to output and never converted to single ended, not just output stage being balanced.
I know exactly and better than you might imagine.

"True" was quoted from the Violectric website where I guess that use the word "true" to quote that the amplifier has real balanced outputs and not just plugs for convenience as some other amplifiers do.

OK?

Jul 29, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #695 of 1,759
Dear friends here is my Violectric V222 review.
Happy reading and I would be happy to answer to any questions.
IMG_20230722_173640.jpg
Your impressions match my 100%, in one thread I actually said v222 sound is between tube and ssd :) accurate without sharpness. A perfect balance for me.

Jul 29, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #696 of 1,759
I know exactly and better than you might imagine.

"True" was quoted from the Violectric website where I guess that use the word "true" to quote that the amplifier has real balanced outputs and not just plugs for convenience as some other amplifiers do.

OK?
Still wrong even if Violectric writes true. If a DAC has balanced outputs, but single ended DAC conversion then it is pseudo balanced, not true balanced. Same applies to a pre-amp with balanced input and output, but single ended treatment of the signal in the middle.

Jul 29, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #697 of 1,759
Still wrong even if Violectric writes true. If a DAC has balanced outputs, but single ended DAC conversion then it is pseudo balanced, not true balanced. Same applies to a pre-amp with balanced input and output, but single ended treatment of the signal in the middle.
OK, you are right, now let's move on, no meaning to continue.

Jul 31, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #699 of 1,759
True Balanced in case of the Lake People and Violectric amps mean, that there are really 4 amplifiers inside. We like to express that because there are more and more amps in the market featuring balanced "convenience" headphone outputs but having only 2 amps.
The only "cheating" amp in the Violectric range is the V202 with a 4.4mm connector. But here it is clearly stated that this is a convenience output.
Best regards, Fried Reim

Jul 31, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #700 of 1,759
True Balanced in case of the Lake People and Violectric amps mean, that there are really 4 amplifiers inside. We like to express that because there are more and more amps in the market featuring balanced "convenience" headphone outputs but having only 2 amps.
The only "cheating" amp in the Violectric range is the V202 with a 4.4mm connector. But here it is clearly stated that this is a convenience output.
Best regards, Fried Reim
Thank you Fried for the clarification. It was nice to hear your presentation on balanced circuitry in person earlier in February at the NYC CanJam and meet some of the other Violectric and Lake People Team at their booth.

Jul 31, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #701 of 1,759
Dear friends here is my Violectric V222 review.
Hello @Ichos, very nice review. Many thanks!

A question if you're so kind, which of these two Dacs would pair better with the V222 in your opinion? A Gustard R26 or a Chord Qtest? (Or may be both...) Thanks!

Edit: excuse me, the question for Ichos or somebody who wants to give an opinion. Nice to read!

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #702 of 1,759
Hello @Ichos, very nice review. Many thanks!

A question if you're so kind, which of these two Dacs would pair better with the V222 in your opinion? A Gustard R26 or a Chord Qtest? (Or may be both...) Thanks!

Edit: excuse me, the question for Ichos or somebody who wants to give an opinion. Nice to read!
Thank you for reading. The Gustard R26 is one of my favorites because it combines good technicalities with timbre realism and an organic character. Unfortunately I don't any experience with the Quest.

Aug 3, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #705 of 1,759
What DACs seem to have good synergy with the V222?
Been using the Geshelli Labs JNOG2 (AKM chip version) since February and still enjoying the pairing. Recently Geshelli added an optional socketed version so you can switch opamp chips if you wish.
V222withJNOG2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back