Violectric V222 and V202
Oct 28, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #78 of 1,745
I can see @Empyah moving to 222+Bifrost2/64 already.

Oct 28, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #80 of 1,745
I wrote Violectric when and where the amplifier will be available, cma audio, mid October was the answer of Fried Reim.
There are not many dealers offering the device currently, but should be a matter of time.

@baneand nice to hear, now you're on the waiting list :)

It's a compact, well build, desk fitting device on the enjoyable side.
It feels well thought out and hand made.
For example the manual is not just a piece of paper with technical specs, it goes a step further teaching the things behind for a better understanding in general.

unboxingV222.JPG

manualV222.jpg
Maybe i post more sound specific impressions in a few weeks, but for now that's all.
I'm still new in the hifi world, but i would not like to miss it.
so the 4.4 is balanced anyways as expected. Thx for the photo!

(still love my V280 :p)

Oct 29, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #83 of 1,745
Great to see the revival of V280 in the form of V222. The key differences I see are the xlr/rca switch and pentaconn output on front panel and the decision to have a single toroidal transformer inside the unit (V280 has 2). Otherwise, with minor difference in specs, they are supposed to sound essentially the same; based on what Fried said. As an existing owner of V280 (+ V850 + LP RS05), I can attest to its transparency, smooth and addictive sound signature which is very pleasing to the ears. So I am sure V202/V222 at these reasonable price points will both do well with new/old customers alike; replicating earlier successes of V281/V280/V200.

With Nimbus being their TOTL, most transparent, neutral and resolving brand, the recent new models of V590/550/V380/340 all benefitted from the trickle-down tech from Nimbus. However, IMHO they lacked the special sauce of slightly warm tubey sound nuance inherent in V281/280/V200. Am glad they are now going back to a place which had enabled them to be so successful in earlier years. This is not saying other more neutral/resolving Vio models will not be successful, just different strokes for different folks. Always good to have choices :)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #84 of 1,745
However, IMHO they lacked the special sauce of slightly warm tubey sound nuance inherent in V281/280/V200. Am glad they are now going back to a place which had enabled them to be so successful in earlier years.
Exactly right.

Neutrality & accuracy = one legitimate solid state amp sound

Slightly warm & tube = another legitimate solid state amp sound

Both are done superbly well by Violectric/Lake People. Which one you prefer depends on what you want audio to sound like. If I worked in music/studio production, I'd want my electronics to be neutral & accurate. But for music appreciation, I want slight warmth & tube sound, because it's closer to what music sounds like IRL.

People who prioritize accuracy/detail/neutrality sometimes mischaracterize the V280/V281 sound. They emphasize the tonal aspect ("warmth"), as if these amps are just expensive/incorrect EQ filters, turning all music into sonic goo. But it's not that simple. I hear other things from the V281 that don't involve tonality (though they synergize with it):
  • Resonance & space: This earns a SS amp the adjective, "tube-like sound," but it's not really the same as that eerie 3D quality of musical notes on tube amps. In a SS amp, this comes across as an unrestrained, spacious soundfield in which notes/transients blossom naturally with macrodynamic peaks. A SS amp like this allows you to hear & feel the ambient space in which music was recorded.
  • Natural weight of lower frequencies: this doesn't mean the lower mids on down are emphasized or elevated. It means frequencies above the lower mids, up through the treble, aren't emphasized or spotlighted (as heard on some SS amps described as "flat" or "neutral"). The resulting sound more closely tracks how live acoustic music sounds in a performance space (hint: it sounds anything but "flat," with the bass having real weight & duration).
I prize the V280/V281 sound because it gets me closer to real music & sounds less compromised & constrained.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #85 of 1,745
Exactly right.

Neutrality & accuracy = one legitimate solid state amp sound

Slightly warm & tube = another legitimate solid state amp sound

Both are done superbly well by Violectric/Lake People. Which one you prefer depends on what you want audio to sound like. If I worked in music/studio production, I'd want my electronics to be neutral & accurate. But for music appreciation, I want slight warmth & tube sound, because it's closer to what music sounds like IRL.

People who prioritize accuracy/detail/neutrality sometimes mischaracterize the V280/V281 sound. They emphasize the tonal aspect ("warmth"), as if these amps are just expensive/incorrect EQ filters, turning all music into sonic goo. But it's not that simple. I hear other things from the V281 that don't involve tonality (though they synergize with it):
  • Resonance & space: This earns a SS amp the adjective, "tube-like sound," but it's not really the same as that eerie 3D quality of musical notes on tube amps. In a SS amp, this comes across as an unrestrained, spacious soundfield in which notes/transients blossom naturally with macrodynamic peaks. A SS amp like this allows you to hear & feel the ambient space in which music was recorded.
  • Natural weight of lower frequencies: this doesn't mean the lower mids on down are emphasized or elevated. It means frequencies above the lower mids, up through the treble, aren't emphasized or spotlighted (as heard on some SS amps described as "flat" or "neutral"). The resulting sound more closely tracks how live acoustic music sounds in a performance space (hint: it sounds anything but "flat," with the bass having real weight & duration).
I prize the V280/V281 sound because it gets me closer to real music & sounds less compromised & constrained.
100% agree. Couldn’t have said it better.

Besides the Vios, I also have a very modest transparent-sounding amp which is the Lake People G103s, which offers transparent, neutral sound. I used to enjoy listening music with it in the earlier days until I bought the V280. So I totally get what you are saying.

An additional point to mention about V281/V280 (same for V222) is that it is best to be enjoyed using balanced connection. I particularly like a quote from Fried :
“Hearing with loudspeaker is like sitting in the audience, hearing with headphones is like taking the place of the conductor. Hearing balanced means
being part of the orchestra.”

On the point of tube amps, one of the key reason why I have yet to jump onto that bandwagon is the thought of having to hunt for and pay high prices for tubes of limited life span. Moreover, while it accentuates the 3D-ness in music, it is a colored sound and not audio truth IRL. And BTW, this crazy sound stage/layering effect can now be achieved by headphones like the Atrium/Caldera by ZMF. 😉

Oct 30, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #86 of 1,745
I have the Violectric V200 and Lake People G 111 MKll. The V200 has a neutral/warm tone, the listening experience is similar to reality (without headphones), very pleasant. For those who aspire to have premium Violectric, I highly recommend always keeping a G111 MKII in the drawer, this incredible amplifier delivers an equally enchanting listening experience in the neutral zone. I don't think Violectric makes perfectly neutral (not cold) sounding models, like in the G100 series up to the G111 MKII. I forgot to tell you that the low frequencies and soundstage are as well represented as in my V200.👋

Oct 30, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #87 of 1,745
I LOVE my V220! I find the sound warm and soft. It is also a Great pre-amp. And the gain switches reaching to minus is pure genius. Makes them awesome with my Grado's.
The only thing I prefer about the new ones is the small form factor. So easy to fit anywhere. I am a little bit jealous of that. :smile:

I also have other SS/hybrid amps that offer a sharper, leaner sound, as an alternative. I Love my iFi Pro iCAN, but it also makes me appreciate my V220 even more.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #88 of 1,745
And the gain switches reaching to minus is pure genius. Makes them awesome with my Grado's.
I've got my gain switches on +12 while using a Rega Elicit amp/Ares II DAC. I use ZMF Eikon, VC, Aeolus & HFM HE-500 headphones. I'm a bit surprised I needed to put the V281 at +12. I keep the dial of the V281 at 12:30. I know it doesn't harm anything, but does anyone else run their unit at +12?

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #89 of 1,745
Could someone provide a brief rundown of past/present Lake People amps? I'm new to the company and know nothing of their line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back