Violectric V222 and V202
Oct 21, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #61 of 1,745
V222...where are you?!? Lol:smile_phones:
I will arrange a review but considering that the V222 and V380² amplifiers are the same I know the verdict from now.
Awesome, one of the best solid state amplifiers in existence!

Oct 26, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #62 of 1,745
A nice surprise at the Munich High End show (2022) was the launch of the brand new Violectric amplifiers the V222 and V202.
Two prototypes (but in their final and working form) were available for auditioning at the Violectric/CMA place.

Mr. Fried Riem himself was there to explain everything and answer all my questions.

The V222 and V202 are the reincarnation of the legendary V280 and V200.
And I am writing reincarnation rather a successor because as Mr. Fried explained the amplifier circuit is exactly the same with the previous models.
Minor tweaks are made here and there.
When I asked him about the sound signature he explained that the new models are similarly voiced to the originals without any noticable differences.

A brief listening at the show instantly reminded me the old favorite and beloved V280 sound signature.

Of course there are other significant improvements.
The form factor has the new Violectric design and one major improvement is the inclusion of an input switch at the front face.
Old members would certainly remember that in the V280/200 you couldn't select between the XLR or the RCA input.
RCA had the priority so you couldn't use XLR and RCA at the same time and you had to unplug RCA in order to use the XLR.

Other technical highlights are:

The HPA V202 offers:
- 2 stereo inputs, balanced via XLR, unbalanced via RCA
- inputs switchable on the front panel
- +/- 18 dB Pre-Gain for a perfect match of the HPA V202 between source and headphones
- Volume control with Alps RK 27 attenuator
- big 38 mm massive aluminum knob
- powerful stereo amplifier
- 2700 mW Pmax into 50 Ohm
- 18,5 V RMS into 600 Ohm
- Delayed coupling of the headphones to the amp after power-on
- Headphone outputs: 1 x Pentaconn, unbal. / 1 x ¼” jack, unbal.
- built-in power supply with toroidal transformer
- 22.000 uF filter capacity

The HPA V222 offers:

- 2 stereo inputs, balanced via XLR, unbalanced via RCA
- inputs switchable on the front panel
- +/- 18 dB Pre-Gain for a perfect match of the HPA V202 between source and headphones
- Volume control with Alps RK 27 attenuator
- big 38 mm massive aluminum knob
- powerful balanced stereo amplifier (4 power stages)
- 3500 mW Pmax into 50 Ohm
- 23.2 V RMS into 600 Ohm
- Delayed coupling of the headphones to the amp after power-on
- Headphone outputs: 1 x Pentaconn, bal., 1 x 4-pin XLR, bal., 1 x ¼” jack, unbal.
- built-in power supply with toroidal transformer
- 22.000 uF filter capacity

The two amplifiers will be available at about August and you should definitely except a review.

I saved for last the best, prices.
The V222 is €1199 and the V202 is €899 so it is the most affordable Violectric amplifier but still hand made in Germany.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMG-20220523-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20220523-WA0005.jpg

Thank you very much Mr. Fried

image.jpg

PS - he also told me a secret about the....
Wonderful news!

IMO Fried is The Man...

Oct 26, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #63 of 1,745
They differ in sound too. It's rather well established.

V222 is a reborn v280, that's all. A popular model deserving life. Now if the v280 doesn't differ from a v340 and especially v550 I don't know what to say (or hear)
Every review or user comment I've read about the newer Violectric models from V340 on up through Nimbus mention that the sound is (to one degree or other) "more neutral" than the V281/V280. This is said with the most detail & force about the Nimbus. Some people whose ears I trust rave about Violectric's new higher-level models, particulary the V550 & Nimbus.

In the context of legendary solid state amps like the V281/V280, I always read "more neutral" to mean "more disappointing to me personally" (if you'll allow me to wallow in subjectivity for a moment).

In the past 1-2 years, several Head-Fi friends asked me for recommendations of good-to-great SS headphone amps, and I always pointed them at the V281/V280, each of which was available for a time on Drop, even after Violectric discontinued them. But now all the new ones are gone, so I've been recommending people to check out the used market for those models, as well as the wonderful sounding Lake People G-109A I once owned (ideal for those needing single-ended only).

But with the advent of the V202/V222, the universe is one against in balance (as measured with carpenter's level) and a welcoming place...

Oct 26, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #64 of 1,745
Oct 27, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #65 of 1,745
Here the brochures of the new HPA V202 and HPA V222 - hopefully now without typo ...
FYI, a second typo two lines down from the first has also been corrected in the brochure revision:

"Headphone outputs: 1 x Pentaconn, bal., 1 x 4-pin XLR, bal., 1 x ¼” jack, unbal." (Should be "Headphone outputs: 1 x Pentaconn, unbal., 1 x 4-pin XLR, bal., 1 x ¼” jack, unbal.)

Oct 27, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #66 of 1,745
FYI, a second typo two lines down from the first has also been corrected in the brochure revision:

"Headphone outputs: 1 x Pentaconn, bal., 1 x 4-pin XLR, bal., 1 x ¼” jack, unbal." (Should be "Headphone outputs: 1 x Pentaconn, unbal., 1 x 4-pin XLR, bal., 1 x ¼” jack, unbal.)
Wasn't one of the benefits of the pentaconn that it supports both unbalanced and balanced connections in the same socket? I wonder why they went for unbalanced only in the end.
Ever since I sold my V200 I was waiting for the V222 as the next logical step, also because it includes the pentaconn (which I assumed was going to be balanced or both). I found a near mint V280 a few months back. No regrets.

Oct 27, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #67 of 1,745
I've received my new HPA V222 on Tuesday :)
Ordered it on cma audio 2 weeks ago, first day it was available.
The pentaconn output is balanced, also described in the V222 manual.

It sounds very impressive with my Focal Clear OG, missing nothing.
Listening for hours is no problem.
With my previous (first) amplifier, the Flux Lab FA-22, i was not very happy, missed the lower frequencies and sold it.
Fortunately i came across the Violectric HPA V200 lineup, waited a few months for the new model.

Oct 27, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #68 of 1,745

With my previous (first) amplifier, the Flux Lab FA-22, i was not very happy, missed the lower frequencies and sold it.
Fortunately i came across the Violectric HPA V200 lineup, waited a few months for the new model.
This is great news to me. This will be a "blind" buy for me and my first Violectric also and the Pentaconn output was one of the perks.

Oct 27, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #69 of 1,745

Ahh unfortunate that CMA doesn't ship to the USA. I don't think Power Holdings has them in stock yet.
Been debating between a Violectric and a Benchmark for my personal endgame amp, looks like the former is great for a more organic presence.

Oct 27, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #70 of 1,745

I also ordered it today, but on website it just says "orderable" I thought they are not sending it yet. But good to know I will probably be getting it next week :)

Oct 27, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #71 of 1,745
I wrote Violectric when and where the amplifier will be available, cma audio, mid October was the answer of Fried Reim.
There are not many dealers offering the device currently, but should be a matter of time.

@baneand nice to hear, now you're on the waiting list :)

It's a compact, well build, desk fitting device on the enjoyable side.
It feels well thought out and hand made.
For example the manual is not just a piece of paper with technical specs, it goes a step further teaching the things behind for a better understanding in general.

unboxingV222.JPG

manualV222.jpg

Maybe i post more sound specific impressions in a few weeks, but for now that's all.
I'm still new in the hifi world, but i would not like to miss it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #72 of 1,745
Great manual. Let me know also if it gets warm on top, because I would like to stack a dac on top of it :) and is it fingerprint magnet

Oct 27, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #74 of 1,745
Great manual. Let me know also if it gets warm on top, because I would like to stack a dac on top of it :) and is it fingerprint magnet
In terms of fingerprint it's 10x better than my topping dac, but not perfect.
Stacking is not possible for me, i'll solve it later building a custom desk (compare your amp and dac dimensions).
The dac is cold, the HPA V222 becomes handwarm, not hot at all (but maybe this depends on the headphone impedance).

EDIT: Here's a picture of it
V222_D70s.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #75 of 1,745
That all sounds great. I have Chord Qutest and size will fit on top of it nicely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back