Violectric V200
Nov 21, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #16 of 18

Quote:
BK_856er,

I have been looking at the Lake People Violelectric family of products and have an eye on the HPAv181, mainly due to its balanced configuration and availability of pre-gain settings.  I notice your equipment also mirrors mine.  I have a Lavry DA-10 and pretty much am faithful to my ATH AD-2000 which I think are really great cans.  I wonder as to your experience using the V200 with the AT cans.  Can you give an impression as to how they do on jazz and acoustic rock and bluegrass, if that's in your area of interest?  I listen to alot of G' Dead, as well.

I have not heard the HPAv181, but if I remember right it is similar to the V200 although perhaps more neutral and less colored according to some reports.  I really dig the ATH AD-2000 right out of the DA-11 for all the detail it offers, especially with the type of music that you mention.  Not to mention the fantastic and prominent mids that the AD-2000 is famous for.  The only thing missing for me was the bass region.  The V200 delivered this in spades!  That awesome bass came at the expense of some detail, but that's only in comparison to the "wire with gain" direct DA-11 output.  The V200 offers a laid back sound that you can listen to all day long without fatigue and it won't punish you mercilessly on less than ideal recordings.  I would categorize the DA-11/V200/AD-2000 as a great combination for your music preferences, and I assume the DA-10/v181/AD-2000 would be equally great - maybe even better?

BK

Nov 23, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #17 of 18
In reviewing the specs for the V181 against the V200, I note the damping factor in the latter is much greater.  Do you think this may explain the bass prominence or is it due to the higher current output the design bears?

BTW, there are relatively more V200s on the used market and it is a slightly less expensive compared to the V181...so you have given me something to consider....

The AD2000s are reputedly 102db sensitive, which may explain its ability to work for me.  Do you have any idea where I can find more information about headphone sensitivity levels by product name?

Thanks for your candid reply above.

Apr 20, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #18 of 18
To be honest, I don't like the design. It does not look good to me at least and this is just my opinion. However, I am desparately waiting to buy either this, V181 or perhaps, the newer version (but can't wait till 2012), So I definitely one ASAP.

The other options I have in my mind is Lehmann with or without USB. I read that USB in Linear is only 16bit DAC. So I am little bit reluctant buy USB model. However, I do like the simplicity of Lehmann's amp. They look beautiful, simple and no to busy at the front. Woo amps also look decent, simple and robust.

Again this is just my opinion and nothing much. Rather than writing Violectric so big on the amp, I would rather write nothing on it. Let the amp speaks for itself if it is quality stuff and got the power to drive anything. I don't like the curved O_O around headphone inputs and that rounded curve around power buttton, to me, it is unprofessional touch (again, in my opinion) and I agree with 'boruneperfect' above ügly face plate but good amp. 

I still love this amp based on reviews and would wait to read more reviews before I pull the trigger on any German amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back