Violectric HPA V550 - Blue's Brother and the successor to the V281
Apr 6, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #376 of 1,057
Further to my rambling.....I've been enjoying the V550 in my desktop setup so I just compared it with the V281 there and now I can hear the slightly additional neutrality of the 550. Something isn't right with it in my Spring 3 setup, it's almost like there is added distortion? It's also now running quite a bit cooler?

Apr 6, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #377 of 1,057
Further to my rambling.....I've been enjoying the V550 in my desktop setup so I just compared it with the V281 there and now I can hear the slightly additional neutrality of the 550. Something isn't right with it in my Spring 3 setup, it's almost like there is added distortion? It's also now running quite a bit cooler?
In what mode are you running the Spring 3: NOS, oversampling…?

Apr 6, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #378 of 1,057
What's the issue exactly?
Apologies for the late reply.

The issue with the volume pot is this... between 7 and 12 o'clock there is distortion and loudness issues at certain points on the volume scale so when adjusting the volume the sound goes loud-quiet/loud-quiet and badly distorts the sound as well. Very annoying and got worse over time to the point i didn't want to use the amp any longer. i rarely manually turn the pot by hand in favour of the remote control that works really well so i don't actually get physical with the pot.

The amp has gone back to the audio dealer for investigation. They have an identical amp for reference and have confirmed there is indeed an issue with the pot. Also, when you very gently wiggle the pot you can hear similar issue with scratching sounds in the background almost as if there is a dry joint somewhere or intermittent connection.

I don't believe this is a common issue because i don't believe anyone has experienced this before so it might be down to either a QC issue or something happened during transport from Germany. Couriers aren't known for handling anything with care so that might be the reason. I understand Violectric QC is top notch so whilst i don't think this is a QC issue you never know if one got through the net.

The very quiet clicks in the background on a correctly functioning pot are meant to be there as this is the way these reed relay pots function, exactly the same as the Benchmark HPA4 i auditioned at the same time. These clicks should be there but should be very quiet.

If you are going to buy one of these go for it. It's a fabulous HPA and well worth the outlay so don't be concerned about my issue happening to you as it's probably just a one off.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #379 of 1,057
Apologies for the late reply.

The issue with the volume pot is this... between 7 and 12 o'clock there is distortion and loudness issues at certain points on the volume scale so when adjusting the volume the sound goes loud-quiet/loud-quiet and badly distorts the sound as well. Very annoying and got worse over time to the point i didn't want to use the amp any longer. i rarely manually turn the pot by hand in favour of the remote control that works really well so i don't actually get physical with the pot.

The amp has gone back to the audio dealer for investigation. They have an identical amp for reference and have confirmed there is indeed an issue with the pot. Also, when you very gently wiggle the pot you can hear similar issue with scratching sounds in the background almost as if there is a dry joint somewhere or intermittent connection.

I don't believe this is a common issue because i don't believe anyone has experienced this before so it might be down to either a QC issue or something happened during transport from Germany. Couriers aren't known for handling anything with care so that might be the reason. I understand Violectric QC is top notch so whilst i don't think this is a QC issue you never know if one got through the net.

The very quiet clicks in the background on a correctly functioning pot are meant to be there as this is the way these reed relay pots function, exactly the same as the Benchmark HPA4 i auditioned at the same time. These clicks should be there but should be very quiet.

If you are going to buy one of these go for it. It's a fabulous HPA and well worth the outlay so don't be concerned about my issue happening to you as it's probably just a one off.
Hopefully its just a one off like you said, I certainly haven't experienced anything like that with mine but its good to know what to look out for if I start having issues. I hope the turnaround is quick on the repair

Apr 6, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #381 of 1,057
Now I know why I stopped comparing components side by side in the past - I should just enjoy them and make long term conclusions. After a little under 2 hours of comparing the V281 and V550 Pro, I just ended up confusing myself. (LOL)

Some real quick notes using the Hifiman Edition XS for most of the testing with both amps set at -12dB pre-gain and hooked up to the Holo Spring 3 KTE getting upsampling from HQ Player:
  • I was surprised at the difference in volume position. 12 o'clock on the V550 versus just over 10 o'clock on the V281 for the same sort of volume?
  • After 15 minutes I was convinced that the V281 was my preferred amp out of the two. The V550 came across as having a more diffuse and less dynamic presentation, but acoustic guitar sounded really sweet. I think my initial impression was muddied by what I am used to and my expectation that the V550 would have a somewhat "cleaner" presentation than the V281?
  • I definitely think the V550 has a more "holographic" soundstage....as I once saw it described by someone.
  • I then moved the V550 to my desktop setup being fed from my Topping E50 DAC. The E50 is a decent mid Chi-Fi DAC that is quite frankly transformed into an amazingly good DAC with the Ferrum Hypsos powering it. I seemed to enjoy the 550 much more here.
  • It was at that point that I pulled out my 3rd amp and hooked it up to the Spring - the Holo Audio Azure. I actually have a 4th amp but the Topping A90 will only come out of storage when I sell it.
  • The Azure is a more "neutral" amp than both the Violectrics and I am starting to think it might be the best partner for the Spring? (for my taste). It doesn't have the decay and atmosphere of the Violectrics but things like drums (especially toms), have more impact or slam to them.
By this time I'd had enough - I suck at this! My head was spinning with no certainty whatsoever. I'm going to leave the 550 in my desktop setup and the Azure in my living room setup and just enjoy the music for a while. The V281 can take a break in the meantime.

The only thing I can say with any conviction right now is that the V281 & V550 are different but tonally very similar - as you would expect, with some differences in soundstage etc. What confuses me are the opinions that I've read that say the 550 is more neutral, because I'm not really hearing that right now, at least not with the Holo Spring. If there's one thing I've learned in this hobby, it's more about the chain and how components work together than individual components.

@JeffMann - I would be interested in your thoughts as you have both of these amps.
regarding the difference in volume position between the V281/V550, have you tried setting the pre-amp on the V550 to -6db instead?

Did you do all your tests on your Spring 3 KTE over-sampled from HQPlayer or did you try some native files as well?

Interesting feedback, I wish I had a V281 to compare myself (although I am fairly sure I would drive myself crazy)

Apr 6, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #382 of 1,057
Hopefully its just a one off like you said, I certainly haven't experienced anything like that with mine but its good to know what to look out for if I start having issues. I hope the turnaround is quick on the repair
I'm sure it's just a one off, i've not heard of a single complaint anywhere about this issue so i think it's just my lousy luck! :smile:

Apr 6, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #383 of 1,057
regarding the difference in volume position between the V281/V550, have you tried setting the pre-amp on the V550 to -6db instead?

Did you do all your tests on your Spring 3 KTE over-sampled from HQPlayer or did you try some native files as well?

Interesting feedback, I wish I had a V281 to compare myself (although I am fairly sure I would drive myself crazy)
The difference in volume setting is what it is, for me the -12dB setting is ideal for the Edition XS with normal listening around 12 o'clock. I was just surprised by the difference given that the V550 published specs show more power than the V281 at the lower impedance levels as found on the EXS. I'm certainly no expert on this sort of stuff so I'm sure there is a good reason why the V281 was much louder on the same pre-gain setting.

Yes I did all the testing upsampling from HQPlayer, I will try again tonight after work playing native files from the Spring. I will even test using Audirvana instead of HQPlayer. what confuses me is that the V281 and Azure sounded fine with the same setup?

I finished the night using the V550 in my desktop setup and it sounded sublime - clear and punchy, so there is nothing wrong with the amp itself. The more I think about it the more I am convinced that there was some sort of distortion being introduced in the Spring 3 setup, as I said the sound was somewhat hazy and almost tube-like compared to the V281. The other interesting thing was the difference in operating temperature, the amp was quite hot to touch partnered with the Spring 3 and struggled to reach lukewarm levels partnered with the E50. Now the Spring 3 XLR outputs are quite hot @5.8V vs the E50 balanced outs @4.0V so maybe that accounts for the temperature difference? Are you running the balanced outs from your Spring?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #384 of 1,057
The difference in volume setting is what it is, for me the -12dB setting is ideal for the Edition XS with normal listening around 12 o'clock. I was just surprised by the difference given that the V550 published specs show more power than the V281 at the lower impedance levels as found on the EXS. I'm certainly no expert on this sort of stuff so I'm sure there is a good reason why the V281 was much louder on the same pre-gain setting.

Yes I did all the testing upsampling from HQPlayer, I will try again tonight after work playing native files from the Spring. I will even test using Audirvana instead of HQPlayer. what confuses me is that the V281 and Azure sounded fine with the same setup?

I finished the night using the V550 in my desktop setup and it sounded sublime - clear and punchy, so there is nothing wrong with the amp itself. The more I think about it the more I am convinced that there was some sort of distortion being introduced in the Spring 3 setup, as I said the sound was somewhat hazy and almost tube-like compared to the V281. The other interesting thing was the difference in operating temperature, the amp was quite hot to touch partnered with the Spring 3 and struggled to reach lukewarm levels partnered with the E50. Now the Spring 3 XLR outputs are quite hot @5.8V vs the E50 balanced outs @4.0V so maybe that accounts for the temperature difference? Are you running the balanced outs from your Spring?

It certainly sounds like the common denominator is the Spring 3. I wish I had more insight there but I ended up buying a Pontus 2 & Iris instead of waiting the 4-6 week lead time for the Spring 3 KTE. I am running fully balanced, but the Pontus 2 is only 4.4V balanced out. I do notice the V550 run quite warm though. Maybe check on the Spring 3 thread to see if there are any V550 owners or if any might have a clue what’s causing it. I would have expected good synergy with the Spring 3 and V550.

(Dumb question but did you check your matrix pipeline in HQP to make sure there wasn’t anything funky going on there)

Apr 6, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #385 of 1,057

Doing a little research on this and apparently the V281 is more powerful on paper, specifically at lower impedance. Violectric rolled the power down below 50 ohms on the V550 so this could explain the difference in volume setting at the same pre-gain setting between the two when using your Edition XS.

Apr 6, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #386 of 1,057
Doing a little research on this and apparently the V281 is more powerful on paper, specifically at lower impedance. Violectric rolled the power down below 50 ohms on the V550 so this could explain the difference in volume setting at the same pre-gain setting between the two when using your Edition XS.
Actually that is incorrect, from the manuals I have for both:

V281
Screenshot 2022-04-07 102520.png

V550
Screenshot 2022-04-07 103820.png

The 550 is more powerful at lower impedances and the V281 is more powerful at higher impedances. Hence my surprise at the volume disparity using an 18ohm headphone?

Apr 6, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #387 of 1,057
It certainly sounds like the common denominator is the Spring 3. I wish I had more insight there but I ended up buying a Pontus 2 & Iris instead of waiting the 4-6 week lead time for the Spring 3 KTE. I am running fully balanced, but the Pontus 2 is only 4.4V balanced out. I do notice the V550 run quite warm though. Maybe check on the Spring 3 thread to see if there are any V550 owners or if any might have a clue what’s causing it. I would have expected good synergy with the Spring 3 and V550.

(Dumb question but did you check your matrix pipeline in HQP to make sure there wasn’t anything funky going on there)
Oops! For some reason I thought you were running a Spring - my mistake.

Yeah I checked the matrix pipeline. Let's see what happens tonight :relaxed:

Apr 6, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #388 of 1,057
Actually that is incorrect, from the manuals I have for both:

V281

V550

The 550 is more powerful at lower impedances and the V281 is more powerful at higher impedances. Hence my surprise at the volume disparity using an 18ohm headphone?

I stand corrected.

Only other thought is it might have something to do with the fact the Edition XS is both low impedance and low sensitivity. How do your other phones fare at the same pre-amp setting on each amp?

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #390 of 1,057
Like a broken clock - I'm only correct twice a day :smile:
…a headphone amplifier has zero distortion when switched off…🤪

Users who are viewing this thread

Back