Violectric HPA V550 - Blue's Brother and the successor to the V281
Mar 14, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #346 of 1,054
My V550 Pro showed up today. (Right now its basically an ice block). Any thoughts on how long I should wait to stabilize it to room temperature before plugging it in?

Mar 14, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #347 of 1,054
My V550 Pro showed up today. (Right now its basically an ice block). Any thoughts on how long I should wait to stabilize it to room temperature before plugging it in?
I would be patient just in case! Lol. I got my WA22 in a couple of days ago and it was pretty cold. I waited 20 min and it was fine. I'm sure a solid state would be even sooner.

Mar 14, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #349 of 1,054

Hah I thought I was the only one who thought about this. I waited several hours myself. Even though the outside case would get warmer I wasn't sure of the temperature inside.

Mar 14, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #350 of 1,054
does anyone know if v550 is capable of driving 1266TC well?? :)

Mar 14, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #351 of 1,054
I had an extended @ 1 month in home demo with a 1266 Phi TC and I thought that it sounded very good working from my v550. The v550 input gain setting was left at unity (default all switches down), I was working from Soekris dac1541 and Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE. Both DACs using balanced output into the v550, headphone was using stock Abyss XLR connected to v550. The amp had plenty of power to control the 1266 with authority throughout the FR. It was one of the best matchups with my setup that I've heard. IMO if you already have the amp and are thinking of that headphone - don't let the amp stop you.

I bought a Susvara first over the 1266. I did not know at the time that Abyss would raise prices and make the 1266 TC more expensive for me than a Susvara (even with nice dealer discounts) or, I would have bought a 1266 TC first, as it was good to go with the v550 and my setup out of the box so to speak, whereas the Susvara is very nice, but I am still fiddling to get the setup optimized to my liking.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #352 of 1,054
I normally wait 2 - 4 hours depending on how cold it was at arrival.

My V550 is due to be delivered today.

Jeff.
Did your V550 arrive as scheduled? I'm absolutely blown away with mine given the small amount of time I've had with it so far.

Mar 18, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #353 of 1,054
yes it drives the abyss very welll, a good match, in fact I just ordered the v550 as to drive my abyss phi tc, I thought about buying the ferrum oor combo. v550 provides the big sound stage and the deep bass. With ferrum, it needs the combo as to be called good. so not worth it as need to spend more money. Sadly v550 has not arrived yet. Will do a YouTube review on my channel once I get it.

I was lucky to buy the Phi tc on October before the price went up. Never expected the price would go that high.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #354 of 1,054
I was lucky to buy the Phi tc on October before the price went up. Never expected the price would go that high.
Indeed you were lucky or smart. I knew that after audition 1266 Phi TC and Susvara that I was going to want them both. I picked up a Susvara first thinking it would be hit by price increases if not for anything, other than increased cost to ship from overseas... I figured Abyss in the US was going to be easier to source and prices would be less or equal on the street. Boy was I wrong...

Mar 25, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #355 of 1,054
@Delta9K - would be interested in your thoughts on the V550 vs Ferrum Oor. I don't have hard to drive cans like Susvara or HE-6 and mostly use my HFM Edition XS and sometimes my Focal Clears or HD600 from my Spring 3 KTE, upsampled from HQ player.

My two current amps are the Holo Azure and Violectric V281, with the Azure being very neutral and somewhat airy and the V281 being on the warm side. Interestingly the Edition XS scales really well with the V281 with a lot more power and I assume - current around that 16 to 32 ohm mark, giving a bit more of a holographic presentation. As far as warmth goes I am looking for something between the two and the V550 looks like the ticket but I'd be interested in your impressions vs the Oor?

Just to complicate things I already have a Hypsos power supply but I would also prefer a remote control as I am out of reach in my listening position.

Where I live I can audition the Oor but not the V550.

Mar 26, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #356 of 1,054
Looks like a very clean looking amp, formula s owners have any experience with this amp? Comparisons?

Mar 27, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #357 of 1,054
Hey you also have the Soekris2541 how do you like it so far? Also runing it together with a V280 FE.

It’s hard for me to figure out the difference between the filters as they seem to be pretty subtle 🤔

Mar 29, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #358 of 1,054
Can the V550/590 be upgraded from the normal pot to the "Pro" pot after purchase? Or do they need to come with those from the factory? I know some parts can be added/upgraded, but wasn't sure if this was one of them.

Thanks.

Mar 29, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #359 of 1,054
Can the V550/590 be upgraded from the normal pot to the "Pro" pot after purchase? Or do they need to come with those from the factory? I know some parts can be added/upgraded, but wasn't sure if this was one of them.

Thanks.

It’s definitely not something you could do yourself, even a fuse replacement needs to be sent in. The fact that the upgrade isn’t listed on the Power Holdings website as a separate item (like the v281 remote control upgrade kit for example) makes me think it has to be ordered from the factory to begin with.

From the manual:

“ As an option (HPA V550 PRO), the attenuation is made in 256 steps of 0.4 dB each.
The steps are switched with special “reed relays”. Here, the switching contacts are situated in a tiny glass tube filled with a protective gas. The contacts are actuated by a magnetic field.”

Doesn’t sound like it’s something that can be easily upgraded if it didn’t come from the factory with the option installed but Arthur from Power Holdings would know for sure.

Mar 30, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #360 of 1,054
I've decided to pull the trigger on a V550. Now I just need to work out if the Pro version is worth the additional investment. I am usually one of those people that buys the top model to avoid any sort of regret later :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back