Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
May 28, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #1,441 of 5,913
For the LCD-2.2 I always use it in balanced mode, as it adds a welcomed bit of air yes. Never used it single ended since. Note that it is still a warmish combo (Others should have a better input than me)

Gain is at 0. Playing at 12 O'clock

Jun 16, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #1,443 of 5,913
I am listening to the HE-1000 in balanced mode on the V281 right now. Not too bad
rolleyes.gif

I did expect them to have more bass though, will try the SE out later

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #1,445 of 5,913
  I am listening to the HE-1000 in balanced mode on the V281 right now. Not too bad
rolleyes.gif

I did expect them to have more bass though, will try the SE out later

Me too. I've only had the HE-1000 for a few days but thus far really enjoying it. Especially out of the V281. Not sure about how much bass they are supposed to have, but I don't find them particularly lacking at this point. 

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #1,449 of 5,913
  it is very comfy indeed. -12?! Waw

That's what happens when you listen in the middle of the night while everyone in the house is sleeping. Get yourself a completely quiet house, no traffic outside, etc, and you'd be surprised at how little volume you actually need to enjoy the music.

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #1,451 of 5,913
Jun 20, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #1,452 of 5,913
Thanks for posting it! I wasn't sure when it would go live, so your link was the first I'd seen of it.

V281 users, feel free to comment there for discussion as well. I know we have a nice thing going here, but if people find that review they won't necessarily be up to speed with everything we've discussed already in this thread (even though I did link to it). 

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #1,454 of 5,913
I read John's review yesterday.  I'm normally not a huge fan of subjective-only reviews, but this one struck a chord.  We all like to see comments and reviews on things we have spent quite a bit of money on that present a positive spin on the product.  It's human nature - we don't want to feel like we made a serious mistake.
This review, of course, was very positive and having had my 281 for several months, I found myself talking to myself while reading the review - saying things like "Of course, well that should be obvious, it does do that well, etc".
It seems that quite a few people like amps that color the sound and John made a statement to that issue and I couldn't agree more - yeah, it has it's novelty, but you want your amp to give you an accurate, neutral and transparent presentation of the music and that's just what the 281 does.  I don't want an active tone control for an amp.
I agree with what John said about the Mjolnir also.  I have one and it's a excellent amp, but not the 281.

It seems to handle everything well.  I don't listen to iems, but I have low impedance, high sensitivity phones, high impedance phones and low sensitivity planars (LCD-3s and HE-560s).  It just makes them all sound great.  I've fallen hard for my 281 and HE-560s.  The 281 places them ahead of the LCD-3s (pre-fazor model).  If I had to give most everything I had up, I'd be keeping the 281 and the 560s.

John your review characterizes all the things I've been thinking to myself these past few months.  Perhaps with your review at Innerfidelity, word will get out about this wonderful amp.  More people will have a chance to hear what has become my end-of-the-trail amp.
Thanks for a solid look at the 281 and not pulling any punches with regard to more expensive offerings - I found that refreshing.

Jun 20, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #1,455 of 5,913
The V281 simply is a great amp. When reviewers are buying it for themselves that usually means alot. I bought my V281 before I published my review on HFN and it has been my reference amp since.

For the moment I am really loving it with the HE-1000 in balanced mode. But the beauty of the V281 is that is works great with all headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back