Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jun 29, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #1,471 of 5,977
I can't see you having an issue

The violectric has a big enough psu to allow for all three outputs to be used simultaneously anyway!

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #1,472 of 5,977
I can't see you having an issue

The violectric has a big enough psu to allow for all three outputs to be used simultaneously anyway!

Thanks mate! :) Did i speak to you today on the phone re: the Pavane?

My fear is that the Subpac would present some weird load to the V281 and everything will fall to ****.

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #1,474 of 5,977
Thanks guys - that's exactly what I was going to do. I have a Grado 6.3 to 3.5 adapter which I'll be using with Subpac.

Jun 29, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #1,475 of 5,977
Thanks mate! :) Did i speak to you today on the phone re: the Pavane?

My fear is that the Subpac would present some weird load to the V281 and everything will fall to ****.

That is I, hope you like your abyss :)

Jun 30, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #1,476 of 5,977
Wouldn't the sub pac require a line level input from the unbalanced line out on the back with a 2 x rca to 3.5mm stereo lead?  You wouldn't use an amplified headphone output for that would you?

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #1,477 of 5,977
  Wouldn't the sub pac require a line level input from the unbalanced line out on the back with a 2 x rca to 3.5mm stereo lead?  You wouldn't use an amplified headphone output for that would you?

Mate - I was wondering what damage if any I'd do if I sent the amplified signal from V281 to the Subpac's line-in.

I was effectively doing that from my portable amp (AK240, and later Sony ZX2) but of course the single ended output from the V281 is a different proposition.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #1,478 of 5,977
I think once it reached a certain volume, the level would be too much for the line in on the sub pac - if you cranked the volume up to say, 1 watt output to power the abyss, I'm sure that's much more than the sub pac wants to receive for a signal.  

I think with the portable players, the maximum output power is around line level anyway, so it doesn't really matter but the vio packs a much bigger punch than that.  I have a aux cable to casette tape thing to plug my ipod into the work van's tape player and if I turn the volume right up on the ipod, it gets really bloated and boomy and cuts out and all sorts of stuff because I guess it's just more signal than the tape head is meant to receive.  It's happy around 2/3 volume.

I may be wrong - someone feel free to correct me, but I'd use the vio's line out if it were me

Jun 30, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #1,479 of 5,977
Jun 30, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #1,480 of 5,977
  Project86,

Any chance you can borrow your fellow Guru's Moon Neo Series 430 HAD Reference and put it up against the V281?
http://headphone.guru/moon-neo-series-430-had-reference-headphone-amplifier-with-optional-dsd32-bit-pcm-dac/
That thing outputs some serious current if I read the numbers well :xf_eek: looks like a HE-6 favourite? Only listening can tell the real story though. The linked review didn't mention the HE-6, nor a lot of comparisons with other TOTL headphone amps...

I actually just sent my own personal V281 over to Tyll from InnerFidelity. He has assembled a bunch of top amps including the Simaudio 430, Auralic Taurus, Schiit Ragnarok, the big Woo Audio monoblocks, HeadAmp GS-X mkII, and probably a few others which I'm forgetting... should be a fun comparison. We were trying to figure a way for me to fly out there and listen with him but the scheduling is proving difficult. But he might be able to snag some of the other InnerFidelity contributors to get more ears in the mix. 

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #1,481 of 5,977
/me slaps head - what was I thinking. Here I am trying to figure out all how I could enable the headphone out + run a parallel line out when the answer has been staring at me the whole time. I had no idea the v281 could have the headphone out activated AS WELL AS the line-out. I love this amp - I just head to press the line-out button and it appears I can run both outputs in parallel.

At the risk on erring on the side of caution, I'll seek clarification from @fdg or directly from Lake People's support team to gauge if what I want to do won't strain the amplifier unnecessarily.

Jul 3, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #1,482 of 5,977
I use it as a line level out to other amplifiers at work for comparisons :thumbsup:

Make sure it is not set as variable out or will act as pre amp.

Can do line level by pressing and holding the line button for 3 seconds.

You can then switch between variable and fixed by pressing either xlr or Dig above.

Then press the line for 3 seconds more to set it :)

Jul 3, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #1,483 of 5,977
Thanks mate - I guess what I want to verify is whether I can use it as a line-out + headphone amp i.e. amplified headphone signal to the Abyss and line signal via 2 X RCA to 3.5mm to the Subpac. 

Jul 3, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #1,484 of 5,977
All good guys - spoke to Fried and he confirmed it's all good. Listening to my AB-1266's + Subpac via the V281 as I type this. Un****ing believable. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back