Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Apr 30, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #91 of 5,979
Do you have any prototype pictures or internal shots yet?
rolleyes.gif

May 1, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #92 of 5,979
Black background is also a quality from my lake people G100 and it's so enjoyable

May 7, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #94 of 5,979
please tell me there is going to be a front panel gain selector

i mean, it's branded as a universal amp, yet you have to turn off, unplug everything and mess with dip switches on the back to select between gain settings ? really ?

May 7, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #95 of 5,979
I have never ever seen the need to change the dipswitches and I've used my V200 with both IEMs and planars.

May 7, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #96 of 5,979

i mean, it's branded as a universal amp, yet you have to turn off, unplug everything and mess with dip switches on the back to select between gain settings ? really ?

A front panel gain selector would be better, but I have found that changing the gain does not really require unplugging everything and is done within a few seconds. No issue, unless perhaps you switch several times per day between very sensitive & very insensitive cans.

May 7, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #97 of 5,979
  I have never ever seen the need to change the dipswitches and I've used my V200 with both IEMs and planars.

what do you mean? because you don't have or use such a feature than it's useless for everyone and nobody should consider or expect such basic and omnipresent, from low to mid to high end, portable to desktop, feature on a 1000+ EUR high end desktop unit?

you can clearly figure out which is more convenient

May 7, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #99 of 5,979

I don't find it to be a big deal to change the switches but then of course I have access to the back of my units, which is handy as I sometimes switch from XLR to RCA between my V800 and either the V200 and my tube amp..  Also, fiddling with gain is not something one does every 2 minutes (I'd hope).  Granted that front panel access would have been easier but this is not a deal breaker by far for me.  Or at least, when I had to choose between my Vio stack and a Burson conductor, the decision was quickly made (and the position of the dipswitches never even was an element, to be honest).

May 7, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #100 of 5,979
anyway, trust me on this one, if the v200/220/281 had a gain button on the front all of you would enjoy the amp much more

ok, the v200 form factor is restricted, and it came earlier, but now having  5-6 buttons when just 3 (inputs, outputs, gain) would have been enough, including the gain too, which is instead omitted !

i simply do not get it, the amps are clearly not budget, entry level, it clearly is not something that will benefit the user, why defend such an omission?

May 7, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #101 of 5,979
It's not gain, it's PRE-gain.   That's why it's beside the inputs.

May 7, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #103 of 5,979
Not defending it, just saying that it's not essential to me, just like the second headphone out on the V200 is -to me- not a feature I use.  The gain dipswitches only get touched -sometimes- while listening to my HE-6.  For the HE-500 and HD-800 volume pot travel on the standard setting is perfect.  If you want to talk about inconvenient dipswitches then I'd mention the V800 with its internal jumpers.  I'd use those more than the gain on my V200 to be honest.

Anyway, for the foreseeable future I'm set with the V800/V200, got a speaker amp for the 6 (and the rest should I want to), and a separate tube headphone amp, no intention of 'trading up'.  I'm sure quality of the new products will be excellent but the pricing is not cheap by any means and if/when I get another dac/amp for headphones then I think I'll go for something just a bit more neutral, resolving and  'lighter' in sound signature.  No criticism of the V200 but the slightly warm tone and relative lack of resolution are  to me and my tastes  its single points of weakness.

May 8, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #104 of 5,979
So last night I sent Hans in, a highly-skilled water Ninja from zhe great lake of Bodensee, look what he found:

May 8, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #105 of 5,979
Seeeeeeeeeeeeeexy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back