Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jan 9, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #3,391 of 5,977
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I've been looking at the V281 and V280 for my HD800S, and I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that there's no sonic differences between these two amps when connected with headphones. Is the difference mainly just the preamp function of the V281? Thanks.

I just ordered my V281 last week after going back and forth between it and the V280. From what I have been told (by Arthur) and read on the forums, they should sound virtually identical. You should choose the V281 if you want the preamp functionality OR the volume control options (with remote or stepped attenuator) OR the balance function. I don't really have a use for the preamp functions right now and I selected the standard volume control, but still chose the V281 because I just liked the looks of the bigger amp better and I also like the idea of the bigger knob:)

Jan 9, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #3,392 of 5,977
I just ordered my V281 last week after going back and forth between it and the V280. From what I have been told (by Arthur) and read on the forums, they should sound virtually identical. You should choose the V281 if you want the preamp functionality OR the volume control options (with remote or stepped attenuator) OR the balance function. I don't really have a use for the preamp functions right now and I selected the standard volume control, but still chose the V281 because I just liked the looks of the bigger amp better and I also like the idea of the bigger knob:)

For the balance function, doesn't V280 also have a balanced out?

Jan 9, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #3,395 of 5,977
Congrats, you will love it.

Jan 9, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #3,397 of 5,977
Congrats, you will love it.

Thanks...it should be arriving at the end of the week so I will post impressions soon!

Did you buy the V281 from the official website or is there a seller you recommend?

Yes sir, I ordered directly through violectric-usa. Arthur is the proprietor and he is absolutely fantastic. He and I communicated back and forth via email for a couple weeks before I made my final decision...just a great guy all around. Very patient and very knowledgeable about the product...I highly recommend dropping him an email if you have any questions that you can't find the answer to on the forum.

Jan 9, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #3,399 of 5,977
Thanks...it should be arriving at the end of the week so I will post impressions soon!

Yes sir, I ordered directly through violectric-usa. Arthur is the proprietor and he is absolutely fantastic. He and I communicated back and forth via email for a couple weeks before I made my final decision...just a great guy all around. Very patient and very knowledgeable about the product...I highly recommend dropping him an email if you have any questions that you can't find the answer to on the forum.

I predict the V281 will impress you greatly. And Arthur is tops, great to deal with...

Jan 9, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #3,400 of 5,977

Yes, Arthur is great. Very knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with.

Jan 11, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #3,405 of 5,977
Sorry for the repeat. I don't have a lot of luck with the search engine.
Do most on here think the balanced output is a more enjoyable sound?

I haven't used the SE output in a while so just basing it from memory, I remember thinking that the balanced output had more weight and better instrument separation.

I think most of the people who get the V281 get it for the balanced so it's probably a good indicator that the balanced is superb (at least that's what I think).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back