Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Nov 19, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #3,211 of 5,979
V281 doesn't operate hot. My Yggy DAC gets hotter.

I also have many Home Theater products that get super hot compared to the V281.
They have been in operation for 5 years with no issues.
If they are designed to take the heat then it's okay.

My HT components get waaaaaay hotter:

165444.jpg

Actually in that entire stack I can safely and sarcastically say that the PS4 gets hotter. Depending on situation I would be correct. Nice setup.

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #3,212 of 5,979
Actually in that entire stack I can safely and sarcastically say that the PS4 gets hotter. Depending on situation I would be correct. Nice setup.

PS4 and PS3 are fan heaters. :D They get loud and hot.

Close. The Marantz gear gets the hottest. If you look closely the top Marantz has a AC Infinity
fan cooling system. It sucks the air out of the cabinets and throws the hot air out the back.
Works well. These have worked solidly for 5 years with not one single glitch. Heat doesn't matter.

Pic is older pic. I have Yggy now. Like this:
169857.jpg

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #3,213 of 5,979
Aside from being a headphone amplifier, I use my V281 as a preamp to my Musical Fidelity M6 PRX power amplifier for multimedia duties (ie movies, netflix, gaming). My power amp understandably goes hot in my country's hot weather although it dissipates heat quite well thanks to the fact that it has large heatsinks on its side.

However, I am concerned about my V281's longevity. It goes warm even when ventilated well (not hot as the power amp, duh) even on idle. This amp has been out for years now so I am wondering if you guys have had reliability issues? Do you think the V281 can last for decades if it stays on for 10-12 hours a day? Should I just turn it off when not in use, even though my next usage will just be in the next 20 mins? I know Violectric / Lake People devices are designed for professional use, but I dont know if in their world they do this sort of abuse to their equipment and if Violectric had longevity in mind.

At this point, I am thinking of getting a digital integrated amp (ala NAD 388) for multimedia usage instead not unless somebody can tell me what I am doing is fine. Let's not talk about power consumption differences to make replies to this inquiry short.

Depends what you define as warm. My Taurus Mk2 gets warm too, but it only sounds at its best when properly warmed up. Analog to a car, you could call it its operating temperature. Okay, it doesn't have a radiator to regulate that temperature, but it's designed to run warm within a fair margin.

If I understand technology well, there is no such thing as idle with class A amplifiers. They run at full power spec, whether music is flowing through them or not... which guarantees their explosive dynamics and speed, as all the power is always readily available when called for.

Nov 20, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #3,217 of 5,979
According to RAA, this amp can achieve at least 105 dB SPL with HE-6 or Susvara in class A. Or it works like it is still in class A.
Not sure about higher levels, looks like they switched the sensitivity or made something like this in their measurement system at this point.

Nov 21, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #3,220 of 5,979
Well, I guess now would be the time to order the V281. :) Thanks for the tip.

It certainly would.

The brand new equivalent of the V281 I bought used for $2K USD (w/relay+remote & 128 stepped pot) cost ~$2,175 w/this discount.

If I didn't already own one, I'd be getting the V281 right now...

The same discount seems to apply to other terrific products, like the Lake People G109-S.

Nov 21, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #3,221 of 5,979
It looks like a great sale.

Nov 21, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #3,222 of 5,979
How do you like WA 22 vs V281? They happened to be about the same price for this particular season of the year, and I'm thinking one of them as my first high end desktop amp. Thanks.

V281 doesn't operate hot. My Yggy DAC gets hotter.

I also have many Home Theater products that get super hot compared to the V281.
They have been in operation for 5 years with no issues.
If they are designed to take the heat then it's okay.

My HT components get waaaaaay hotter:

165444.jpg

Nov 21, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #3,223 of 5,979
How do you like WA 22 vs V281? They happened to be about the same price for this particular season of the year, and I'm thinking one of them as my first high end desktop amp. Thanks.

V281 buddy.
WA22 beats it occasionally (with expensive nos tubes). However V281 is always so close behind.
So close it is almost not worth mentioning.
The flexibility and ease of use makes the V281 better. For example: My Ether Flow sounds like dog
on the WA22. Sounds wonderful on V281. V281 makes all HP's sound their best. WA22 is picky.

Nov 21, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #3,224 of 5,979
V281 buddy.
WA22 beats it occasionally (with expensive nos tubes). However V281 is always so close behind.
So close it is almost not worth mentioning.
The flexibility and ease of use makes the V281 better. For example: My Ether Flow sounds like dog
on the WA22. Sounds wonderful on V281. V281 makes all HP's sound their best. WA22 is picky.

Thanks! I just ordered V281!! My Christmas is coming early this year. :)

Nov 21, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #3,225 of 5,979
Thanks! I just ordered V281!! My Christmas is coming early this year. :)

Congrats. The V281 is the only amp you will ever need. Built like a tank.
I do occasionally marvel at it's engineering.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back