Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
May 17, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #1,981 of 5,914
Nice rig!

Thanks. I would have gone down the tube amp route but with vinyl as my love that was just one additional rabbit hole I did not want to go down.

So after lurking for a few years and really liking what I was reading about Violectric especially after Project86 did a review of the 281 I decided to take the plunge. Picked up the 281 and 600 for my just ordered HD800 headphones. When I placed the order Violectric USA just put the 850 up on their page and with the discount they had at that time I figured I would purchase it as well I am apparently the first American order for the 850 I really should post a review of it.

There were two issues purchasing the gear.

1- they didn't have black feet options at the time
2- I had to get a balanced headphone cable.

The first issue was solved with a simple email. The second one was much harder... I had to spend twenty minutes researching cables. (First world problems)

Violectric USA customer service is absolutely brilliant. This of course was my first jump into headphones and as you can see it was a major one. I only had a little bit of doubt about maybe being a little bit crazy until there was a headfi meet in Phoenix earlier this year. I had the pleasure of listening to a lot of different gear and setups. I was looking for a pretty pure exact studio sound and I got that with my setup. Are there better things out there? Yes. But I honestly have exactly what I was looking for with this purchase. Not many people can state that with their first foray into something.

May 17, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #1,982 of 5,914
Thanks. I would have gone down the tube amp route but with vinyl as my love that was just one additional rabbit hole I did not want to go down.

So after lurking for a few years and really liking what I was reading about Violectric especially after Project86 did a review of the 281 I decided to take the plunge. Picked up the 281 and 600 for my just ordered HD800 headphones. When I placed the order Violectric USA just put the 850 up on their page and with the discount they had at that time I figured I would purchase it as well I am apparently the first American order for the 850 I really should post a review of it.

There were two issues purchasing the gear.

1- they didn't have black feet options at the time
2- I had to get a balanced headphone cable.

The first issue was solved with a simple email. The second one was much harder... I had to spend twenty minutes researching cables. (First world problems)

Violectric USA customer service is absolutely brilliant. This of course was my first jump into headphones and as you can see it was a major one. I only had a little bit of doubt about maybe being a little bit crazy until there was a headfi meet in Phoenix earlier this year. I had the pleasure of listening to a lot of different gear and setups. I was looking for a pretty pure exact studio sound and I got that with my setup. Are there better things out there? Yes. But I honestly have exactly what I was looking for with this purchase. Not many people can state that with their first foray into something.

I understand completely.
And the tube game is quite a rabbit hole.
Switch to v281 and couldn't be happier.
Vinyl and tubes can be frustrating.
New Ayre phono stage is loving the v281.
:blush::notes::saxophone:

May 19, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #1,983 of 5,914
This is the first amp I have come across (admittedly not having owned many) that drives the Ultrasone edition 10 without treble "tizz" or distortion.
Gain set at +12 and flat equalization from the balanced out of my AK240 produces the results. Pure and silvery but with body and plenty of punch.

May 19, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #1,984 of 5,914
I understand completely.
And the tube game is quite a rabbit hole.
Switch to v281 and couldn't be happier.
Vinyl and tubes can be frustrating.
New Ayre phono stage is loving the v281.
:blush::notes::saxophone:

Vinyl playback can get pretty expensive (vinyl record cleaner, turntable, phonoamp, cartridge, etc.)  I own maybe 30 LP's, most bought 30 to 50 years ago. With a Pioneer turntable bought 36 years ago, I've converted many albums to FLAC files on my computer with Audacity,  Other albums I've found and bought their CD version and stored them as FLAC files on my computer.  I had a brief experience with tubes when I had the Bottlehead Crack with Speedball HP amp.  Didn't have the patience (or wallet) for tube rolling.  The sound of different tube combinations was too unpredictable for me. I've even seen a few articles about the return of reel to reel. But that's the great thing about music, its variety. And no matter what your fancy Violectric V-281 is going to make it sound it's best!

May 25, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #1,985 of 5,914
Greetings all any Headfi'rs looking for a 240v V281 let me know as I'll be selling my one soon! :) 

May 25, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #1,987 of 5,914
If money = no object, try the Pioneer SE-Master1. I'm listening to the TRON LEGACY soundtrack right now via this combination, and I honestly can't imagine that audio could get much better than this. Boy, oh boy.

May 25, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #1,988 of 5,914
Thinking of buying a new headphone for the v281.
Already have Ultrasone Ed.10, LCD3F and AKG 812.

Any suggestions what would suit the amp?

HD800, HE-1000 and why not the Abyss

If money = no object, try the Pioneer SE-Master1. I'm listening to the TRON LEGACY soundtrack right now via this combination, and I honestly can't imagine that audio could get much better than this. Boy, oh boy.

I listened to the Master1 a couple of times but it doesn't do anything to me, maybe for half the price 
rolleyes.gif

May 30, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #1,991 of 5,914
  1 more vote for the abyss

Honestly though, is there any headphone that doesn't really go with the v281?  HE-6 maybe?  The list would be short...

I love my modded HE6 with my V281. Beats my HD800S, modded HD800, Ether C and anything else I have plugged into it. Drives it easily with the gain ramped up to maximum. Not many amps can do that.

I should point out that my HE6 is heavily modded (blutak, fuzzor, felt, vegan pads, grill removal - the works).

One thing I am curious about - I never bothered with the DAC option for the V281 since I had a Vega when I ordered the V281 (since upgraded to a Hegel HD30). The V281 seems to scale with better DACs very well. My thinking is that it is a much better amp then the built in DAC option would suggest (or even paired with a V800/V850 DAC). It seems to suffer in some reviews / customer feedback due to the built-in DAC? Any comments from folks that have used the built-in DAC option vs high end external DAC?

My V281 takes off spectacularly with the HD30 DAC + HE6 combination.

May 30, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #1,992 of 5,914
  ... I have to say the V281 and Moon 430HA is very close performance...

As a former owner of the 430HA and a current owner of the V281 I have to respectfully disagree with this statement.

Both amps have warmth and musicality and oodles of power - the V281 does not sacrifice bags of detail, punch and speed to do it - the 430HA does.

As always, YMMV.

Now awaiting the obligatory intervention of the defender of all things 430HA (who AFAIK does not even own a V281, but jumps into any thread where the 430HA is referred to in anything less than glowing terms ... you know who you are).

May 30, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #1,993 of 5,914

I love my modded HE6 with my V281. Beats my HD800S, modded HD800, Ether C and anything else I have plugged into it. Drives it easily with the gain ramped up to maximum. Not many amps can do that.

I should point out that my HE6 is heavily modded (blutak, fuzzor, felt, vegan pads, grill removal - the works).

One thing I am curious about - I never bothered with the DAC option for the V281 since I had a Vega when I ordered the V281 (since upgraded to a Hegel HD30). The V281 seems to scale with better DACs very well. My thinking is that it is a much better amp then the built in DAC option would suggest (or even paired with a V800/V850 DAC). It seems to suffer in some reviews / customer feedback due to the built-in DAC? Any comments from folks that have used the built-in DAC option vs high end external DAC?

My V281 takes off spectacularly with the HD30 DAC + HE6 combination.

I was going to buy the add on dac board for my v281 and the salesman pretty much said I would be an idiot to buy one.  Not exactly in those words, but yeah - very much steered me away from it.  I'm sure it's not that bad...

May 30, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #1,994 of 5,914

I was going to buy the add on dac board for my v281 and the salesman pretty much said I would be an idiot to buy one.  Not exactly in those words, but yeah - very much steered me away from it.  I'm sure it's not that bad...

The V281 amp certainly seems to make the most of being fed from better DACs.

I threw my cash at the upgraded volume pot. Not sure that makes much difference (never heard the base model).

May 30, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #1,995 of 5,914
Personally I think the volume pot upgrade is just a luxury.  Kinda like leather seats in a car.  They don't actually do anything, you just have leather seats, just 'cause.

I know they talk about channel imbalance but if anyone can pick a stock volume knob v281 vs an upgraded volume knob v281, blind, I will give them my hat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back