Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Feb 22, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #1,756 of 5,977

Blutak mod + vegan pads + grid removal + under earpad felt rings + fuzzor.

I tried running the HE6 without the fuzzor - the treble was nasty - had to put the fuzzor back. I am using a partial fuzzor with adhesive sorbothane. I would get laughed out of the HE6 thread for doing that - don't care - it works for me.

As good as the modded HE6 is with the V281, I am finding the HD800S only a short distance behind it for performance. Throw in the amazing comfort factor of the HD800S and I am finding myself torn between these 2 cans. V281 drives them both superbly.

I am running my V281 with full boost - the '4' setting for +12dB gain. This works for me when driving the HE6 and HD800S. I don't notice any SQ change for doing this, but it is hard to tell with the delay in shutting down the amp to change the settings. Anyone have any comments on the gain settings regarding SQ?

EDIT - I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the bass response of my HE6 is better with the gain at +12dB. Really getting some punch and slam. Liking it.

Are you using Hifiman vegan pads or some other brand?  I did the grill removal mod replacing the stock grill and inside fuzz with wire from a stainless steel mesh strainer and covering it with black knee high panty hose.  Wow talking about air and wide soundstage  I tried the fuzzor mod with open beaded shelf liner then self adhesive felt.  They're both very good at taming the treble.  Just that the self adhesive felt adheres better where as I had to glue the shelf liner which got brittle after drying and didn't hold (should've tried double sided tape). I've got blutak on the way and will do that mod when available. Got pics of your sorbothane?

I've also got hifiman vegan pads on the way (I destroyed the original pair experimenting).

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #1,757 of 5,977
I think my vegans are from Audeze. It is a couple of years since I purchased them so I don't really remember.

The blutak mod really helps tighten up the bass response.

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #1,758 of 5,977
I think the long process of turning the amp off etc is to "dummyproof" any possible mishaps. Just turn the volume all the way down and flip the switches...

I won't be doing that anytime soon. I'm happy to follow the manufacturer's recommendation on this one. Besides, I have found my preference with the '4' setting with the HE6 (also works fine with the HD800S). I will be sticking with that.

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #1,759 of 5,977
I won't be doing that anytime soon. I'm happy to follow the manufacturer's recommendation on this one. Besides, I have found my preference with the '4' setting with the HE6 (also works fine with the HD800S). I will be sticking with that.

I just turned the volume all the way down and tried mine this morning. Tried the +6db and the +12db then back to 0. Just more volume at a lower pot setting IMO...absolutely no problems with the amp doing it that way.

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #1,760 of 5,977
Hello everyone,

New owner here with a V281 on the way! I have one question. I have a balanced DAC and would prefer to hook the amplifier up as balanced. However, I only have a single ended cable at the moment. Do the non-balanced outputs work when the V281 is set up as balanced?

Feb 29, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #1,761 of 5,977
  Hello everyone,

New owner here with a V281 on the way! I have one question. I have a balanced DAC and would prefer to hook the amplifier up as balanced. However, I only have a single ended cable at the moment. Do the non-balanced outputs work when the V281 is set up as balanced?

Yes. Both the single ended and the balanced headphone outputs will work simultaneously regardless of whether you have an RCA or XLR connection from the DAC.

It would be better to get hold of a pair of balanced headphones to make full use of the V281 though single ended also sounds very good.

Feb 29, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #1,762 of 5,977

Yes. Both the single ended and the balanced headphone outputs will work simultaneously regardless of whether you have an RCA or XLR connection from the DAC.

It would be better to get hold of a pair of balanced headphones to make full use of the V281 though single ended also sounds very good.

I definitely am, I just need to procure some extra funds. Do all three outs work simultaneously?

Feb 29, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #1,763 of 5,977

When using a balanced headphone cable, you are getting two V220 amps.

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #1,764 of 5,977

I definitely am, I just need to procure some extra funds. Do all three outs work simultaneously?

Yes, so you have to be careful not to leave stuff plugged in that could potentially blow up at high volumes.

Also, something that's hard to tell, but the left hand side 6.35mm socket is inverted output, while the right hand side is non-inverted.
That means you can potentially drive two headphones without each impedance affecting one another.

There is also a special jumper switch inside that can turn the two 6.35mm sockets into L/R balanced outputs, kind of like Resonessence Invicta or Sony PHA-3 style balanced, or converted to 2 x 3pin XLR with an adaptor.

They think of everything...

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #1,765 of 5,977

Bought my V281 during the after holiday sale and was offered free XLR or RCA Violectric cable (chose the XLR and it's a great cable).  If you bought your amp from Violectric you might inquire if they're still offering the free cable.

Mar 12, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #1,766 of 5,977
So I bit the bullet and purchased a balanced headphone cable to go with my new amplifier. Something that keeps jumping out at me is the widening soundstage. I didn't listen to the amp single ended, but compared to my DAC, it seems huge. Has anyone else noticed this? It plays with my mind when I hear an unbalanced stereo audio signal such as Iheartradio, or some YouTube videos. I have to look over at my DAC meter for reassurance that yes one channel is louder than the other. I'll gladly live with that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #1,767 of 5,977
Hi!

I read some reviews that Violectric sounds a little warm as compared to typical sound of a solid state amplifer. Does anyone here uses Violectric with HD800s (in balanced connection)

Any impressions?

If its also allowed in this thread, how do you compare the Violectric to the Bryston BHA1? Mainly because these two are on my list. :) 

Thank you so much! :)

Mar 13, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #1,768 of 5,977
  Hi!

I read some reviews that Violectric sounds a little warm as compared to typical sound of a solid state amplifer. Does anyone here uses Violectric with HD800s (in balanced connection)

Any impressions?

If its also allowed in this thread, how do you compare the Violectric to the Bryston BHA1? Mainly because these two are on my list. :) 

Thank you so much! :)

If you're considering these two for the HD800, then in my view the V281 is a better choice. It is warmer then the BHA-1, but actually it feels more right. The warmth associated with the Violectric amps is mostly due to the V800. V281 is a bit like that in the SE mode, but when you run balanced it is actually quite neutral.

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #1,770 of 5,977
Ok. Time for me to join this thread. Just returned my Auralic Taurus mk2 and bought the V281 VC2 with silver feet and silver panel. Still waiting for the balanced DHC Silver Complement 4 to ship out for my Ether. Gonna connect it to my Zodiac Platinum DAC by XLR. Can't wait to try them out! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back