Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jan 20, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #1,636 of 5,977

In direct comparison of these two (with HD800) they were very close to each other. The only difference I noticed was the V281 producing slightly smoother highs. I didn't notice any differences in the bottom end.

Wondering what your impressions will be, as I only had a few hours with them both together.

My V281 ships very soon (excellent service from the folks at Lake People). I will give both amps an extended listen over the coming weeks and keep one and sell the other. Very likely to keep the V281, otherwise I have wasted quite a bit of cash.

Smoother highs are the #1 improvement I am looking for. The top end sparkle from the Taurus is a big part of the fatigue issue for me, I think.

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #1,637 of 5,977
I absolutely LOVE my V281. So clean and pure great depth, imaging and insrument seperation. Instrumental music is just competely joyous on the HD800. I usually go to the HE6 for vocal music, rock, metal etc. Im sure you'll enjoy your new amp. Congrats!!

Thank you
smile.gif

The Taurus does a pretty good job also with classical and instrumental. For vocal and rock I find the treble gets a little strident / sparkly and the overall presentation a little bright. Not hugely, but enough to cause listening fatigue after about an hour or so with the HD800S. If the V281 can smooth the treble and dial back the brightness, even by a small amount, then that should be enough to make me a very happy customer.

I will post my impressions on Taurus vs V281 in this thread on the coming weeks. I read the comments on the V281 earlier in the thread - very helpful info that steered me onto the V281 as a replacement for the Taurus (I hope).

These are from some of the esteemed gents on this thread:

... *The wonderfully analog sounding top end. It's a little smoother than the Auralic amp, not rolled off in the least but very controlled, very clean and well done. 

The Violectric house sound  is a warmer sound more of like what you would hear with a tube amplifier.The black background and the fact that it also balanced  ranks up there with some of the best solid state amps in general. There are more expensive amps and favorite of mine is The Cavalli Liquid Gold which at 4200.00 is pricer. The Cavalli excels with low impedance planars while the V281 is good with any headphone and does really well with the  Hd800.  The advantage of the V281 for many it will work well with any headphone out there. The V281 is outstanding with detail as well as extension in the treble and also in bass extension. I could easily live with this amplifier as a solid state reference amp.

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #1,639 of 5,977
Just placed my order for a V281 with relay volume control (no DAC).

What I am hoping for is an amp with similar detail, punch, power and extension as my Taurus Mk2, but also with a slightly warmer presentation and less top end sparkle. Best I can gather from this thread and elsewhere, that is pretty much what the V281 is.

I really like my Taurus, but with my preferred headphones (HD800S and Ether C) the top end can get a little fatiguing and the overall presentation a tad bright.

I am looking forward to your first impressions. I picked up the V281 because it matches well with a wide variety of headphones but the reviews for the pairing with the HD800 are phenomenal.

The Taurus was one of the 3 headphone amps I was looking at but decided to go with Violectric as Johns review was amazing and after reading head-fi for a few years I respect his opinion a lot. Also I wanted to match my dac and pre-amp and I was going with Violectric for those two things.

Violectric USA really gave me amazing customer service and support so from that standpoint the company is stellar! Welcome to the club I hope you enjoy your amp as much as I enjoy mine.

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #1,640 of 5,977
I am looking forward to your first impressions. I picked up the V281 because it matches well with a wide variety of headphones but the reviews for the pairing with the HD800 are phenomenal.

The Taurus was one of the 3 headphone amps I was looking at but decided to go with Violectric as Johns review was amazing and after reading head-fi for a few years I respect his opinion a lot. Also I wanted to match my dac and pre-amp and I was going with Violectric for those two things.

Violectric USA really gave me amazing customer service and support so from that standpoint the company is stellar! Welcome to the club I hope you enjoy your amp as much as I enjoy mine.

Will do. Happy to post my A / B impressions once I have some hours with the V281.

I have never heard the Violectric DACs. I have an Auralic Vega that I am very happy with. Any impressions of the Violectric DAC that you can share? Any comparisons with other DACs you can make? (apologies for going a little OT here, but I do think the Violectric DACs are worth of discussing briefly in the V281 thread).

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #1,641 of 5,977
Will do. Happy to post my A / B impressions once I have some hours with the V281.

I have never heard the Violectric DACs. I have an Auralic Vega that I am very happy with. Any impressions of the Violectric DAC that you can share? Any comparisons with other DACs you can make? (apologies for going a little OT here, but I do think the Violectric DACs are worth of discussing briefly in the V281 thread).

I can only compare the V850 to a Nad M51 as they are the only dacs I've had chance to pair with my v281. I would say the v850 is warmer, has a touch more bass and seems more musical. It manages to retain a brilliant level of clarity and I am extremely happy with the combination. I have found that the usb input offers the best results.

I use the Beyer t1 v2 and itching to try a hd800S.

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #1,642 of 5,977
.... and itching to try a he800S.

Big recommendation on the HD800S from me. Quite a step up from the modded HD800 IMHO. Treble peak is gone and the bass response is better (quality and quantity) without being overdone. Sound feels 'meatier', but the great detail and sound staging of the original HD800 remains (this is my impression anyway). Comfort is the same as the original - superb.

Only downside is that the treble gets a little hot / sparkly with the Taurus - pushing me to the V281.

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #1,645 of 5,977
  Just placed my order for a V281 with relay volume control (no DAC).

What I am hoping for is an amp with similar detail, punch, power and extension as my Taurus Mk2, but also with a slightly warmer presentation and less top end sparkle. Best I can gather from this thread and elsewhere, that is pretty much what the V281 is.

I really like my Taurus, but with my preferred headphones (HD800S and Ether C) the top end can get a little fatiguing and the overall presentation a tad bright.

Can't wait!

Jan 23, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #1,649 of 5,977
The Taurus is a good unit, but that treble can get a little much with the headphones like the HD800/HD800S/Ether C/HE6.

I am hoping the V281 can inject some warmth, not a lot, just enough to take the edge off, and smooth the treble a little. If it can do that it will be a much better match for the 'close to neutral' headphones I like (listed above).

A headphone with a darker presentation and rolled off treble might be a better match for the Taurus (anything LCD-whatever) but they all sound veiled to me.

I tried the 430HA, and it certainly had warmth and tamed treble, but at the expense of dynamics and punch to the point where it sucked the life out of some music.

V281 might just be the answer - some warmth and smoothed treble without crushing the dynamics and punch.

Jan 23, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #1,650 of 5,977
Did someone from the Company mention there would be a replacement for the Violectric 181 in a few months on here?

The 281 is a big jump in price. I am looking for a balanced amp for my new Senn 800's and it's between the Violectric and the new Donald North Sonett replacement he said was coming soon. The Violectric being German is closer to home and avoids import duties and such, but both seem highly recommended.

How much do you spend on a new amp before you think a better DAC would be the way to go, Woo Audio, Little Dot and Donald North Stratus, all costly and need to be imported. 

What's the next giant leap up from the Audiolab MDAC anyway - we into diminishing returns territory then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back