Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Dec 20, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #1,066 of 5,977
Well I decided to take the plunge. I was hoping to wait until later in 2015 but with the pending $400 USD price increase I decided to jump on it now. I ordered the black faceplate with black feet and the remote option. It should be here next week. I'm not sure if I should blame or thank Project86 for this purchase.
smily_headphones1.gif

You're welcome in advance. Trust me 
wink_face.gif

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #1,067 of 5,977
You're welcome in advance. Trust me :wink_face:

Thanks in advance. I've read through this thread and all feedback seems great. Can't wait to take a listen! I'll look forward to your detailed review and appreciate the insights you've provided so far.

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #1,069 of 5,977

This gets me puzzled too.
As far as I know V281 is top of the line Volievtric product.
And if a balanced amp with a relay based volume attenuator is not high end gear, then I don't know what is.

Oh wait - I know: it doesn't have any tubes
rolleyes.gif

Amen to that.

If someone thinks V281 plus an Audeze headphone or the Senn HD800 (for example) is not top end gear, you sir do have a problem.

BTW, I dont like tubes, and Ive tried way expensive amps (McIntosh for example, some of them). And I cant get what they try:

True tube amps do sound warm or lush or w/e, but the sound is always dirty compared to my V281. And the tube amps that sound neutral, with no "brand tone" or "brand signature", just neutral... Whats the point? You get a Beta22 for way less price and you get that neutral sound.

Ive seen nothing as detailed as V281 does with that "bassy" or "warm" sound or w/e Violectric does to these amps that sound god like, and at the same time it doesnt harsh. Beta22 may be more detailed, or Auralic Taurus MKII, but they harsh and for me the sound is boring (for me).

V281 is a "end of the line" amp.

Dec 22, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #1,070 of 5,977
Agreed! I like me some tube amps, no doubt.... but given the choice of a DNA Stratus, Eddie Current Zana Deux, or V281 - I'd take the V281 every time. Haven't heard the latest Eddie Current stuff but it tends to cost significantly more than V281 anyway so it's not a good comparison. 

Dec 22, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #1,073 of 5,977
I firmly believed that for the first month I had the V281.   Then I impulse bought the Ragnarok..

No such thing as end of line, just honeymoon periods...especially if you read these forums...:D

Dec 23, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #1,076 of 5,977
Then use Ragnarok as Pre-amp and V281 as headphone amp with pregain -12db 

LOL

I think the Vio would explode if I tried that lol!
But I did do the reverse, using the built in Coax Input DAC and using the Vio as preamp to Rag.. Didn't sound too bad, actually. Not near as good as my DA8 DAC but still decent!

Dec 23, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #1,077 of 5,977
I'd like to read a well thought out comparison between the two, written by somebody who has something useful and informative to say.

In the HE-6 thread, member Armaegis had a mini meet where they tried various headphones, among which the Rag and the V281.  He didn't compare them in detail, but at the price, preferred the Rag:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/493214/hifiman-he-6-planar-magnetic-headphone/15375#post_11150289

Obviously there's a hype going on with the Ragnarok, something to keep in mind.  I haven't heard either amp (have yet to hear stuff from Shiit that I'm impressed with) and each situation is different but personally, given the price of the Vio 281 can understand his position.  I'd probably go for a low power speaker amp like my F5, or for a vintage receiver that's been recapped with my harder to drive cans.  The 281 price is just too rich for me, given my sound preference and the gear I own.  But obviously, to each his own.

Dec 23, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #1,079 of 5,977

In the HE-6 thread, member Armaegis had a mini meet where they tried various headphones, among which the Rag and the V281.  He didn't compare them in detail, but at the price, preferred the Rag:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/493214/hifiman-he-6-planar-magnetic-headphone/15375#post_11150289

Obviously there's a hype going on with the Ragnarok, something to keep in mind.  I haven't heard either amp (have yet to hear stuff from Shiit that I'm impressed with) and each situation is different but personally, given the price of the Vio 281 can understand his position.  I'd probably go for a low power speaker amp like my F5, or for a vintage receiver that's been recapped with my harder to drive cans.  The 281 price is just too rich for me, given my sound preference and the gear I own.  But obviously, to each his own.

Yes that was my Ragnarok and V281 at the meet, and the Rag was the clear winner.
The Rag was more transparent, the highs were smooth, whereas the 281 had this... glare in the upper treble that really didn't agree with the HD800 treble spike (the v200 didn't have this).  The lows of the Rag were also more detailed, dug deeper and had better impact with the HE6's.

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #1,080 of 5,977

Yes that was my Ragnarok and V281 at the meet, and the Rag was the clear winner.
The Rag was more transparent, the highs were smooth, whereas the 281 had this... glare in the upper treble that really didn't agree with the HD800 treble spike (the v200 didn't have this).  The lows of the Rag were also more detailed, dug deeper and had better impact with the HE6's.

Were you driving the HE6 balanced or single ended? I'm a bit curious about these cans but being a b1atch to drive has akways put me down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back