Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Dec 9, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #1,021 of 5,977
Why wouldn't you consider the v800 from Violectric while you own the v281 yourself? I have the combo and it's really good.

A lot of people are saying that it's somewhat dated. Wouldn't put me off though. As long as it's capable of 24/192 over USB - which it is since they updated it - and sounds great, then it's a good DAC. People make too much of all the novelty features that come with today's DACs.

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #1,022 of 5,977
  Hi Guys,

I didn't get any response from the other thread so posting over here as I think will get better response. Currently I have changed my mind going down the streamer route so thinking of getting a better dedicated DAC for now.

Current Setup
V281
HD800
Rega Apollo R
MacBook with HRT streamer ii

DAC options under consideration
Rega DAC
Yulong D18
Schiit Bifrost Uber

I need something that will have an excellent synergy between the gear I possess and any other suggestions that may work best with this setup.

Thanks

I don't consider the V281 overly warm and definitely not missing treble details (as @Viper2005 mentioned), but it pairs really well with my Sabre-based Benchmark DAC2. Other Sabre-based designs might qualify as well.

A lot of people are saying that it's somewhat dated. Wouldn't put me off though. As long as it's capable of 24/192 over USB - which it is since they updated it - and sounds great, then it's a good DAC. People make too much of all the novelty features that come with today's DACs.

Thats right, the V800 is not outdated just because Violectric will at some time create a new DAC...

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #1,023 of 5,977
Finally got down off the fence and bought a V281 today. Just enjoying a few tracks at the moment
smily_headphones1.gif

quick question - it's not possible to get less than -12db via the pre-gain switches right? The balanced outputs on the nad m51 dac are really high..

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #1,024 of 5,977
  Finally got down off the fence and bought a V281 today. Just enjoying a few tracks at the moment
smily_headphones1.gif

quick question - it's not possible to get less than -12db via the pre-gain switches right? The balanced outputs on the nad m51 dac are really high..

Right -12 is as low as you go. But even with higher voltage from your dac, you really shouldn't need to go to -12db, or lower. The two extremes of the pre-gain are for some really rare and specific situations, because it's usually too much or too little for most situations. Also I guess the only real solution in your case is use a dac with lower output voltage or use a headphone with higher resistance.

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #1,025 of 5,977

Good point !  Also, a true balanced attenuator isn't just two unbalanced attenuators.  The + and - signals are referenced to each other, not to a separate ground.  You can search for "balanced attenuator" and see various designs.

True - I'm just simplifying my explanation in an already lengthy post. 

smily_headphones1.gif

NAD M51 has a 4.8V output via XLR, which is only .8V higher than "standard". I can't see why you'd need to go so low on the pre-gain. 

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #1,026 of 5,977
I would avoid the D18 as it is already a very warm dac and lacks that detail up top.   I have the DA8 which is more neutral (but slightly warm still) and pairs nicely with the V281 for the HD800.

I don't consider the V281 overly warm and definitely not missing treble details (as @Viper2005
 mentioned), but it pairs really well with my Sabre-based Benchmark DAC2. Other Sabre-based designs might qualify as well.

I never meant the V281 was missing detail, rather that the Yulong D18 is lacking upper detail. (I miswrote amp instead of dac). The 281 is not overly warm, and is more neutral than the V200. You are right, though, that most Sabre DACs pair well with the 281. The Yulong DA8 is one such DAC.

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #1,027 of 5,977
Hi Guys,

I didn't get any response from the other thread so posting over here as I think will get better response. Currently I have changed my mind going down the streamer route so thinking of getting a better dedicated DAC for now.

Current Setup
V281
HD800
Rega Apollo R
MacBook with HRT streamer ii

DAC options under consideration
Rega DAC
Yulong D18
Schiit Bifrost Uber

I need something that will have an excellent synergy between the gear I possess and any other suggestions that may work best with this setup.

Thanks

If you live in the USA, the Anedio D2 DAC at $890 is a great DAC choice. It is very analytical, but it is still neutral when combined with a V281. It also has an advantage over a V800 from two perspectives. i) It is much cheaper and it also includes a headphone amp. 2) It is a 32 bit design (rather than V800's 24 bit design) so its digital volume control doesn't degrade the sound.

Jeff.

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #1,028 of 5,977
If you live in the USA, the Anedio D2 DAC at $890 is a great DAC choice. It is very analytical, but it is still neutral when combined with a V281. It also has an advantage over a V800 from two perspectives. i) It is much cheaper and it also includes a headphone amp. 2) It is a 32 bit design (rather than V800's 24 bit design) so its digital volume control doesn't degrade the sound.

Jeff.

+1, to my big regret, they don't ship to Europe with this deal.  I don't think the V800 volume control noticeably degrades the sound quality of good source material though.  Don't know how much the V800 is in the US, and for sure it's a good DAC but given its age and the del on the D2, I'd think very hard.

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #1,029 of 5,977
smily_headphones1.gif

If you need to get lower you could try something like these damping adapters:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/cordial_cdg_20200.htm

I never meant the V281 was missing detail, rather that the Yulong D18 is lacking upper detail. (I miswrote amp instead of dac). The 281 is not overly warm, and is more neutral than the V200. You are right, though, that most Sabre DACs pair well with the 281. The Yulong DA8 is one such DAC.

Sorry, I might have misread/-interpreted your post, I understood you were talking about the V281 (amp vs DAC might have confused me). Yes, I hear the V281 as less warm than the V200 too.

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #1,030 of 5,977
It is a 32 bit design (rather than V800's 24 bit design) so its digital volume control doesn't degrade the sound.

With the V800 I'd just keep the volume control at max to avoid degrading the digital signal. Otherwise the signal might indeed loose some bits.

Dec 9, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #1,031 of 5,977

True - I'm just simplifying my explanation in an already lengthy post. 

NAD M51 has a 4.8V output via XLR, which is only .8V higher than "standard". I can't see why you'd need to go so low on the pre-gain. 

Hmm so i'm assuming 4.8v is when the dac is set to 0db on the volume control? when the dac is set to fixed volume mode it sets it to -20db

when using 0db output, a comfortable listening level is about 10 o'clock position. It's usable but i'd prefer a bit more range to play with. i could turn it down on the dac i guess, i just worry if it will affect the sound quality at all

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #1,032 of 5,977
I live in Australia so unfortunately the D2 is out of the equation... So I have narrowed down to V800 and Matrix X Sabre....From a aesthetic point of view and owning V281 my mind says V800 but my heart tells me X Sabre... so yes I'm confused and still thinking
confused.gif

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #1,034 of 5,977
Hey everyone quick update. I just placed the order for the V800 Dac. I thought it made more sense with my current gear and reading from all the feedback that V800 dac is very neutral and some have pulled this combo quite well with HD800. I have read 86's review on Sabre X and in comparison to V800 dac its pretty close possibly little different in character so wouldn't miss out much either way.

I hope this was the right decision however will find out soon
smile_phones.gif

Thanks

Dec 10, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #1,035 of 5,977
  Hey everyone quick update. I just placed the order for the V800 Dac. I thought it made more sense with my current gear and reading from all the feedback that V800 dac is very neutral and some have pulled this combo quite well with HD800. I have read 86's review on Sabre X and in comparison to V800 dac its pretty close possibly little different in character so wouldn't miss out much either way.

I hope this was the right decision however will find out soon
smile_phones.gif

Thanks

You won't regret it. I'm using the v281 + v800 + hd800 as well, with desktop setup playing from foobar/asio. Enjoy your setup!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back