Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Dec 3, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #946 of 5,977
Yes, sounds very much like a connection problem, maybe something is not seated properly or some part is touching the case etc.

Opening the case should not be a problem since the user manual outlines how to change jumper settings inside. Taking a look should be no problem.

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #947 of 5,977
Hello Everbody.

I like to inform you about our new (higher) prices for selected models valid from 1st of January 2015
The listed prices are the European prices without VAT.
Please aks Arthur Power from   www.violectric-usa.com  for detailed US prices.

New prices from beginning of 2015:
V200 = 756,30 Euro
V220 = 1176,47 Euro
V281 = 1596,64 Euro

All other Violectric products will have the current prices which are stable since 2010 !

So, if you want to save some money, dont hesitate to order THIS year.
We expect some delivery delays in the beginning of the new year :wink:
Please note that in case of an order you will not be charged with any (pre)payment until your unit is ready to be delivered !!
Also we grant your right of revocation which can be performed by simply not paying the pro-forma invoice which is send to you when your goods are ready to be delivered.
Of course (in case you changed your mind) it would be more polite to inform us in advance to ease things and not to produce office operations in vain ...

Best Regards

Fried Reim
(CEO of Lake People and Violectric)

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #948 of 5,977

I have not, and I don't know it's worth trying anymore. Yesterday I tried another power outlet in the house, near the ground. By accident I found out that if I lightly touch/press down on the top of the case of the amp, I hear a switch click and both HEAD and LINE leds are on. No flashing. As soon as I release the amp from touching down on the top of the case all three leds are flashing again.

Sounds to me there's something not right inside the amp. No response from Fried yet on the finding, what do you think this could mean? Going to open up the case this afternoon to see if I can detect anything.

I assumed you already had opened the box and tried to reseat all plugs/cables/ribbons. Just check the manual on how to do that - it's fool proof and completely safe. If it doesn't work, I suggest you start thinking about packing and resending the box to Lake People. You pay your shipping on the way in, and Lake Peolpe will pay for the shipping cost on the way back to you.

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #949 of 5,977
  I assumed you already had opened the box and tried to reseat all plugs/cables/ribbons. Just check the manual on how to do that - it's fool proof and completely safe. If it doesn't work, I suggest you start thinking about packing and resending the box to Lake People. You pay your shipping on the way in, and Lake Peolpe will pay for the shipping cost on the way back to you.

Thanks Xaval, that's exactly my plan. When I get home I'm opening the case and reseat all plugs, cables and ribbons. If that doesn't help I'll send the v281 back for repair. That's what Fried also suggested today. He's been very helpful with all this.

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #950 of 5,977
  Hello Everbody.

Fried Reim
(CEO of Lake People and Violectric)

Good to see you around Fried Reim.

A price rise should prove to be a nice incentive on getting one of those bad boys for the Xmas tree!

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #951 of 5,977
Alright then. Opened up the cage, inspected the plugs, cables, ribbons, and saw nothing strange or unexpected. Closed up the cage, power on and all is working properly. It's a mistery to me. Perhaps the casing wasn't closed properly and opening and closing it again fixed to problem.

Now it's finally time to enjoy some music with my self re-terminated hd800. Thank you all for the support!

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #952 of 5,977
  Alright then. Opened up the cage, inspected the plugs, cables, ribbons, and saw nothing strange or unexpected. Closed up the cage, power on and all is working properly. It's a mistery to me. Perhaps the casing wasn't closed properly and opening and closing it again fixed to problem.

Now it's finally time to enjoy some music with my self re-terminated hd800. Thank you all for the support!

Glad to hear that :)
Nice stack btw. Enjoy!

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #953 of 5,977
in fact i had some issues, btw which were reported to violectric, with the v200 where the nextel finish was isolating the usb input shield/ground and the various plates of the case (which are electrically coupled by the screws holding them together) from being coupled, also had to scratch some of it off where the xlr inputs are because i had no shield to ground contact when setting the xlr ground jumper to shield, so it is titally possible that re-screwing fixed it

Dec 3, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #954 of 5,977

That rig is full of win! Enjoy your music 
beerchug.gif

Dec 3, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #955 of 5,977
I'm glad it is sorted, and hope that's the last you'll see of any issues. My V200 has given me years of trouble-free service and I hope the same for you.

And yes, that stack is killer! I love the silver I chose but everytime I see a black version I second guess myself.... I guess there's no bad choice in this case. 

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #957 of 5,977

hmm as a potential buyer, gotta say that doesnt sound attractive - at all.  paying >2000 EUR for a unit not working on delivery, then paying to return it for repair?? At this price things should not be coming loose during shipping.

Seems to be a common issue that these units do not work when they are delivered without users poking around in the case - at least 3 in this thread?

Fried are you planning on making any changes to prevent this happening in future?

Dec 4, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #958 of 5,977

I am totally baffled by the "fact" that simply opening and then closing the case solved your problem. Does anybody have a rational explanation?

Jeff.

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #959 of 5,977
I am totally baffled by the "fact" that simply opening and then closing the case solved your problem. Does anybody have a rational explanation?

Jeff.

My guess is that there was some connector somewhere that was improperly seated, made marginal contact and caused the problems.  Or something with the grounding as was mentioned.  If you then open the case and fidlle a bit with the wiring, press on the connections....if only it were always that easy.

Dec 4, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #960 of 5,977

My guess is that there was some connector somewhere that was improperly seated, made marginal contact and caused the problems.  Or something with the grounding as was mentioned.  If you then open the case and fidlle a bit with the wiring, press on the connections....if only it were always that easy.

I don't even think it was a connector being improperly seated. Honestly, I didn't really touch a thing inside. Everything looked fine, solid and in perfect shape. It even smelled good. Like the inside of a car the first time you ride it. So after some short admiration I closed the case again and everything looked good from the moment I hit the power button.

But enough of that. I have been listening yesterday evening to some various music and my first impression is that it's without a doubt a direct noticable improvement over the v200/v800 stack. The first thing I noticed is the bigger soundstage. It's obvious from the first 10 seconds in a lossless michael jackson track, thriller. Michael Jackson albums have very good recordings I think. Some sounds/instruments feel like to be coming from behind my ears. It's something the v200 always felt a little short on. This is the first time I can compare the v200 with anything else, so now I feel I can say it out of experience, though it has been based on only one night of listening.

The second thing is detail. The v281, on balanced mode, is very detailed. Music I've been listening for a long time even gets more detailed with the v281 compared to the v200. There's things I never recognized earlier in certain tracks with the v200. The soundstage must be contributing to this too I think. More separation and more detail.

Then there's the fact that there's more power. Haven't touched the pre gain settings, it's still all default. Same as with my v200, always used default settings. With the v200 I listened with the volume pot going to max. 12 'o clock on loud listening sessions. Some records sound louder, so for them it might be max 01.00 'o clock. With the v281 I haven't gone over 10.00 'o clock. Again, based on one night. Listening to quite a diverse collection of music.

The lows are slightly improved in my experience as well. There's a bit more slam and more a feeling like when things really go low I get the experience like if things are really shaking. Can't express it very well, it's like with big speakers in the cinema for example. It's quite impressive.

The build quality is very solid. I think I could jump on the case and it still wouldn't make a dent. Also the inside has been thought through very well.

These have been my first impressions so far comparing the v200/v800 to the v281/v800 stack on balanced interconnects, and balanced hd800 cables. I haven't used unbalanced or even other headphones like my hd580, which I really like as well for when I'm not using any amp. The 580 always sounds good without even proper amplification. Thats why it's my office headphone.

It's unforunate about the fact that I had to open and close the case before I could get it to work, but the service provided by Fried and his team is top notch. I think the first thing Fried does when he wakes up in the morning is opening his mail box and answer support mails. I wouldn't let yourself get discouraged by it. The v200 is really good, and the v281 surpasses and sets the bar even higher. It's worth it every euro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back