Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Dec 2, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #931 of 5,977
Hm, the block diagram does indeed show pre-gain switches positioned after the digital input... which is in contrast to my memory of Fried telling some other guy digital in were not affected by the pre-gain setting.

Anyway -- both block diagrams in the manual does say digital inputs *are* affected by pre-gain.

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #932 of 5,977
  Hm, the block diagram does indeed show pre-gain switches positioned after the digital input... which is in contrast to my memory of Fried telling some other guy digital in were not affected by the pre-gain setting.

Anyway -- both block diagrams in the manual does say digital inputs *are* affected by pre-gain.

That's what I read from the diagram too: pre-gain should affect all inputs.
So far I have tested it with XLR only.

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #933 of 5,977
That's what I read from the diagram too: pre-gain should affect all inputs.
So far I have tested it with XLR only.

Sounds like Fried is going to have a full inbox this morning. Did you switch the amp off, turn the volume all the way down and operate the dip switches one at a time, exactly the same on both sides? I know you said that you'd gone by the book. Just checking.

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #934 of 5,977
Sounds like Fried is going to have a full inbox this morning. Did you switch the amp off, turn the volume all the way down and operate the dip switches one at a time, exactly the same on both sides? I know you said that you'd gone by the book. Just checking.

Followed the manual to the letter - just to make sure. 

EDIT: OK - I found out what was wrong. I assumed that the pre-gain jumpers would affect the preamp output as well. They don't. And I was testing on speakers 
rolleyes.gif

The diagram on page 13 shows a block that controls the output level (but that's controlled by internal jumpers), and indeed the signal for the preamp is taken before the pre-gain block. Something I missed before. So all good.

Just regarding the voodoo related to changing the pre-gain switches: none of that is really necessary. It works without switching the amp off, without turning the volume pot down to zero, and you don't have to switch the channels in sync. This is just to make the procedure idiotproof.

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #935 of 5,977
Followed the manual to the letter - just to make sure. 

EDIT: OK - I found out what was wrong. I assumed that the pre-gain jumpers would affect the preamp output as well. They don't. And I was testing on speakers :rolleyes:

The diagram on page 13 shows a block that controls the output level (but that's controlled by internal jumpers), and indeed the signal for the preamp is taken before the pre-gain block. Something I missed before. So all good.

Just regarding the voodoo related to changing the pre-gain switches: none of that is really necessary. It works without switching the amp off, without turning the volume pot down to zero, and you don't have to switch the channels in sync. This is just to make the procedure idiotproof.

I kind of thought so to be honest. I messed with the pre-gain before reading the manual and I didn't turn the volume down. It worked fine. I'm glad your amp is good.

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #937 of 5,977
I'm yet to get accustomed to the v220 sound sig in default settings so it's good to read all the discussion re the pre-gain idiosyncrasies 
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #938 of 5,977
I think there was a comment sometime prior about pregain not doing anything to the digital input. But I always took that to mean - no lost bits since the attentuation happens in the analog domain. But now I see how there could be confusion.

Quote:

Tried your suggestion. Both HEAD and MUTE leds are flashing. Doesn't seem right to me. Still waiting for Fried to respond. But your input on this is highly appreciated. Thanks!

Odd, there must be something going on inside the case. Perhaps a connection worked itself loose while in transit, or something like that. I got an email from Fried very recently so I'm sure you will hear from him soon.

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #939 of 5,977

Odd, there must be something going on inside the case. Perhaps a connection worked itself loose while in transit, or something like that. I got an email from Fried very recently so I'm sure you will hear from him soon.

I've got a response from him. He told me that the amp has detected DC current which may hurt the headphones, so the headphone sockets are switched off.

Then he asked me a few questions to try figure out what might cause this, my answer on them below:
 - Will the LEDs flash directly after power-on?
Yes, the leds flash directly after the power is on.

- What happens without input signal, with unbalanced cables connected or switched to the digital input?
The leds are flashing in the same way. Nothing changes in comparison to the previous question.
Haven´t tried using (some cheap) unbalanced cables. I will try that as soon as I get back from the office)

- What happens with another balanced source?
Unforunately, I only have the v800 in my possession as a balanced source.

- What happens with no headphone connected?
With only the power cord connected, the leds HEAD and MUTE are flashing, same as all the other situations.
With the balanced cables connected as well, the same things happens too.  
The first time I put the v281 on I think I heard music for about a half or maybe one second. I didn't have my headphones on, but because of the open drivers from the hd800 I could still clearly hear music playing. After one second the headphone sockets were switched off again.

I have also tried using a dedicated power outlet somewhere else in the house. This unfortunately didn't help either. Same leds flashing.

Sometimes all three leds are flashing, including the LINE led, mostly it's only the HEAD and MUTE. I can't seem to make out when it's one or the other.

Also I triple checked the balanced cables going to the right input channels, just in case. They're good

Hopefully this clears things out. I appreciate his help very much.

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #940 of 5,977

I've got a response from him. He told me that the amp has detected DC current which may hurt the headphones, so the headphone sockets are switched off.

Then he asked me a few questions to try figure out what might cause this, my answer on them below:

Hopefully this clears things out. I appreciate his help very much.

Have you visited a friend and plugged the amp on his house just for checking?

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #941 of 5,977
Hello Folks
Thanks for the reply
I thank also Fried from lake people for the quick reply
Some impressions :
Solid build
Looks nice and massif
Sonically : well i'm still reserved so still experiencing the stuff .. Surprisingly sound is so clear that i hear too much DECAY .. Changed the dac music is same with decay .. Is it the music or dac or violectric
I changed cables : no change
My source is the Auralic Aries sending music to the chord hugo feeding the violectric v281 via RCA
Cheers anf thanks

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #944 of 5,977
  Have you visited a friend and plugged the amp on his house just for checking?

I have not, and I don't know it's worth trying anymore. Yesterday I tried another power outlet in the house, near the ground. By accident I found out that if I lightly touch/press down on the top of the case of the amp, I hear a switch click and both HEAD and LINE leds are on. No flashing. As soon as I release the amp from touching down on the top of the case all three leds are flashing again.

Sounds to me there's something not right inside the amp. No response from Fried yet on the finding, what do you think this could mean? Going to open up the case this afternoon to see if I can detect anything.

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #945 of 5,977

I have not, and I don't know it's worth trying anymore. Yesterday I tried another power outlet in the house, near the ground. By accident I found out that if I lightly touch/press down on the top of the cage of the amp, I hear a switch click and both HEAD and LINE leds are on. No flashing. As soon as I release the amp from touching down on the top of the cage all three leds are flashing again.

Sounds to me there's something not right inside the amp. No response from Fried yet on the finding, what do you think this could mean? Going to open up the cage this afternoon to see if I can detect anything.

My guess is a loose connector somewhere.  Only open the case if you're sure it won't void the warranty.  And although it's not a tube amp, be careful (shock).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back