Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Nov 20, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #842 of 5,977
I have a thing for smallish CD players or transports..... Haven't owned an Apollo-R yet but have gone through Musical Fidelity CDT, some TEAC models, a Shanling, and am now on a YBA Design WM202 which is a bit wider but still works for my space. The Apollo R looks damn good though, better than their full size model IMHO.

Nov 20, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #843 of 5,977
I have a thing for smallish CD players or transports..... 

You might want to have a look at the Pro-Ject CD Box S then:
http://www.box-designs.com/main.php?prod=cdboxs&cat=source&lang=en

It has a coax digital out and might pair well with the coax-input option of the V281. Still contemplating to order that board as I own this player.

Nov 20, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #845 of 5,977
You guys have made me take a look at those CDPs. Three that particularly caught my attention:

• Pro-Ject CD Box DS CD Player
  • MUSICAL FIDELITY M1 CDT
  • REGA APOLLO R CD PLAYER

Not sure which is better/worse though.

Nov 20, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #846 of 5,977
  While I personally never came across a PA amp that actually has a warm up phase, many do have a current limitation when switching on to avoid peak current killing any fuses. Acoustically relevant properties of speakers do change with temperature however, that effect *can* be relevant on large PA systems where magnets do get really hot and the temperature in a compression chamber does change over the evening.

Out of habit I never run a PA at full load within the first 10-15min. I don't think its really relevant nowadays with switching power supplies and so-called digital amps that raun fairly cold due to better efficiency. Letting the speakers warm up a bit may on the other hand extend their life span though.

At home I never run equipment anywhere near its limit, so any precautions regarding operating temperature etc. do not apply (I don't own tube amps).

Of course Im speaking about open air equipment, or club equipment. The warm up phase usually takes a couple minutes, some models do have fans included for all the wattage. Also its recommended to not run the PA speakers on its full potential on the very first 15 minutes or so, after that, turn it up all the way! (this is for the membranes of the speakers) Membranes and magnets have maintenance thought.

But well, PA equipment always operate at high levels of sound pressure, home equipment doesnt haha.

@alvinmate Very cool!! Loved the HD800s with my V281.

Nov 20, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #847 of 5,977
  You guys have made me take a look at those CDPs. Three that particularly caught my attention:

• Pro-Ject CD Box DS CD Player
  • MUSICAL FIDELITY M1 CDT
  • REGA APOLLO R CD PLAYER

Not sure which is better/worse though.

I don't have any experience with the Project CDP so I can't comment on it. But I have previously owned the Rega Apollo R CDP, and I wasn't that impressed with it when used purely as a CD Transport. As for the M1 CDT, I was able to audition it as well as the Cyrus CDT at a local store, but after just one A/B, the Cyrus sounded clearly better to my ears: more transparent, dynamic, and a quieter background. With the Cyrus, it was like having a direct window into the music. If I had to grab a CDT to use with a separate DAC, I would seriously consider the Cyrus. Too bad I'm really enjoying computer audio at the moment  
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #848 of 5,977

I don't have any experience with the Project CDP so I can't comment on it. But I have previously owned the Rega Apollo R CDP, and I wasn't that impressed with it when used purely as a CD Transport. As for the M1 CDT, I was able to audition it as well as the Cyrus CDT at a local store, but after just one A/B, the Cyrus sounded clearly better to my ears: more transparent, dynamic, and a quieter background. With the Cyrus, it was like having a direct window into the music. If I had to grab a CDT to use with a separate DAC, I would seriously consider the Cyrus. Too bad I'm really enjoying computer audio at the moment  
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the input!

I have been on computer audio for the longest time. Sometimes I longed for the act of just inserting a disc and listening to music without the need to face all the other computer processes.

Nov 20, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #849 of 5,977

Of course Im speaking about open air equipment, or club equipment. The warm up phase usually takes a couple minutes, some models do have fans included for all the wattage. Also its recommended to not run the PA speakers on its full potential on the very first 15 minutes or so, after that, turn it up all the way! (this is for the membranes of the speakers) Membranes and magnets have maintenance thought.

But well, PA equipment always operate at high levels of sound pressure, home equipment doesnt haha.

Thats what I was talking about... PA <> Home-Fi, the latter is neither built for nor used at levels that are normal working conditions of the former.
PA can be a lot of fun though... having an in-room earthquake with an array of infras is *nice*. As long as one wears ear protection that is... otherwise the fun with home-equipment might soon be over.

Nov 20, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #850 of 5,977
  I have been on computer audio for the longest time. Sometimes I longed for the act of just inserting a disc and listening to music without the need to face all the other computer processes.

I still buy CDs of albums I consider to be of special value -- my son needs a starting point for his own music collection I think :wink:
Plus the simplicity of inserting a CD (selected in an analog fashion by looking at cover art) into a drive and listening has something to it... which is why I'm thinking about combining my Pro-Ject with the coax inputboard of the V281.

Interesting that Cyrus offers a transport-only CDXt:
http://www.cyrusaudio.com/product-archive/cd-players/cdxt-cd-transport

Nov 20, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #851 of 5,977

I still buy CDs of albums I consider to be of special value -- my son needs a starting point for his own music collection I think :wink:
Plus the simplicity of inserting a CD (selected in an analog fashion by looking at cover art) into a drive and listening has something to it... which is why I'm thinking about combining my Pro-Ject with the coax inputboard of the V281.

Interesting that Cyrus offers a transport-only CDXt:
http://www.cyrusaudio.com/product-archive/cd-players/cdxt-cd-transport

I guess that the listening to LP will be even more special.

The more I look at the Cyrus, the more it looks like those old VCR player to me.

Nov 20, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #852 of 5,977
I listen to my music almost exclusively through an ipod, but I only buy my music on CD...  Granted I just rip the contents of the CD onto the computer, but I like to have something I can hold.

That has to be the first time I'd heard anyone comment on the enjoyment of opening a CD and placing it in the player to listen to it.  That used to be the way people would talk about listening to vinyl.  You get the experience of taking it out of it's case, and being able to hold it in your hands and you don't get with digital.  

That comment has kinda made me realise we've hit that turning point now, where CDs will begin to be nearly as uncommon as vinyl over the coming years...

Nov 20, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #853 of 5,977

Thanks for the input!

Yeh I know what you mean. There is also the nostalgia of collecting and playing CDs. Despite the ongoing advances in computer audio, there will probably always be a place for the good old CD player.

Nov 20, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #854 of 5,977
I totally agree with everyone who feel that doing some things traditionally gives you that personal satisfaction and hence the reason of owning the CDP. At the time when I was looking for CDP I could only afford Rega Apollo R which I purchased after auditioning a few within the same price bracket.

Definitely Cyrus is a step up and a very good choice.

Does anyone here own or have experienced the Bel Canto CD2 or even CD3t....and maybe compared this to Cyrus stuff?

Nov 20, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #855 of 5,977

I guess that the listening to LP will be even more special.

The more I look at the Cyrus, the more it looks like those old VCR player to me.

Yeh the Cyrus aesthetic is kinda retro and I was a bit doubtful about the slot mechanism on the CDT. But the looks kind of grew on me during the week in which I owned it and the slot mechanism worked a treat. It's also really sturdy and feels like quality to the touch. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back