Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Nov 4, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #737 of 5,977
  For people interested in the v281 located in europe, the v281 is now also available on thomann. It's where I bought my v200/v800 combo. They're on stock, so delivery time should be short, depending on your exact location within europe.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/violectric_hpa_v281.htm

I don't see any way to address your desired specifications like digital input, feet color, front color though. I have sent them an email about this.

Will post more on this when I've got an email back.

Response has arrived and the delivery time is 2 to 5 days and can be ordered with all possible options/specifications available. The default v281 (no dig. input option, no remote control) is about 1520 euro's.

I've also decided to go the DIY route for my stock hd800 re-termination for going balanced. I think there's sufficient documentation on the subject on head-fi and youtube on how to do this. This service is also provided by lake people themselves for a very good price. I contacted them about this. If you don't have the tools and equipment for a DIY retermination job for balanced cables on a single ended cable, then it's a very good option to let lake people do your stock cable retermination.

Going to place my order today or tomorrow. I'll post impressions or perhaps a review on a comparison between v200-v800 and v281-v800. Should be fun!

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #739 of 5,977
For EU buyers I recommend Heiko Boss at Audition-6. Great guy to deal with and he allows you to haggle a bit on the price. Very quick delivery too.

Heiko Boss is da BOSS!! He took care of me with the V220 and he's very professional and reasonable. Just got feedback from him and my amp/dac should be shipped to me today or tomorrow after being setup by Lake People team.

I mean, seriously... go to Heiko before doing anything 
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #740 of 5,977
I have noted that a number of forum members do not think that there is a significant difference between SE versus balanced mode when it comes to driving headphones with a V281. By contrast, I am discovering that the V281 (in balanced mode) is significantly better than my V200 with respect to my HD800 headphones. Now that my amp is more "burned-in" I can better describe these differences - when using my Sony 5400ES CD-player as my only sound source.

Before I describe the differences in sound production, I will comment on two issues.

When I originally used my new V281 I found that the loud orchestral passages sounded unnaturally loud (and even raucous) when I set the softer orchestral passages at a clearly discernible volume level. That problem has resolved itself - presumably as a result of the "burn-in" process because I have not changed my system. I can now set the softer orchestral sound level louder (which is my preference for a more "sitting in the front row" aural experience rather than a "sitting in the mid-hall" aural experience) and the loud passages are then very loud, but not unnaturally raucous.

Secondly, project86 suggested that my Sony 5400ES is not really a balanced output device because it only produces 2V output at the XLR output jacks. I therefore performed the following experiment. I personally own two 5400ES CD-players so I connected the one (i) to the V281 with RCA connectors and the other one (ii ) with XLR connectors. I then played orchestral music with (i) and set the volume control at a comfortable listening level (with the pre-gain set at -6). I then listened to (ii)  playing the same CD/music with the volume control and pre-gain control at the same setting. The volume level produced by my HD800 phones was very similar suggesting that (ii) is not putting out more power/voltage than (i) - and I suppose that means that my CD-player is not a "pure" balanced CD-player. I was also able to confirm that I personally prefer the sound when using XLR cables between the CD-player and my V281 amp. I am a music-lover, and not an audiophile-expert, and I am looking for advice. Could I get even better sound if I use a fully ("pure) balanced CD-player rather than my Sony 5400ES CD-player? Which fully balanced CD-player would you recommend? As an alternative approach, as I love Vioelectric products, I could buy the V800 DAC and then buy a CD transport. Would this be an even better solution? Which CD transport would you recommend?

Now, here is my personal impression of the V281 amp when used to drive my HD800 headphones in balanced mode - compared to my V200 amp, which obviously operates as a SE device.

1) The biggest difference relates to the soundstaging. The soundstage is wider and deeper, and therefore more capacious (cavernous). The soundstage also sounds more unconstrained/borderless at its outer limits. Instrument (or voice) location in the soundstage is identical to my V200 and they both image wonderfully well with silent (black) backgrounds. However, the sound produced with the V281 is more full-bodied - presumably because the soundstage is bigger (and because there is no increased amount of "air" surrounding each instrument in the bigger soundstage). I can also discern significantly better clarity of each instrument/voice when playing complex musical passages eg. when listening to opera when a number of individual opera singers are singing at the same time while a male chorus and female chorus are simultaneously singing) with less auditory congestion (smearing of sounds). 

2) The V281 amp also produces a greater dynamic range. When I set the volume control for a desired volume level for softer orchestral passages, then the loud orchestral passages are louder (when compared to my V200 experience). Also, the transition in sound levels from ppp => pf => fff is more seamless/effortless and more reminiscent of "live" orchestral music (when I sit in "front row" seats).

3) The V281 can also produce very soft sounds (eg. plucked harp string, soft triangle strikes, castanet clicks, very soft kettle drum drumbeats) with greater clarity and a faster transient attack. When listening to the Mercury Living Presence "Balalaika Favorites" CD, I can more clearly hear each individual string-pluck with no overhang (no smearing/congestion) that more closely resembles "live" sound.

4) The frequency balance is much better. My HD800 headphones are now very neutral sounding. The HD900 headphones have a reputation of having an over-exuberant treble balance and this is very apparent when I plug the headphones directly into either my Marantz 8001 or Sony 5400ES CD-player's inbuilt headphone jack. When I use the V200 between the CD-player and my headphones, the sound is much improved with much better soundstaging, far less congestion/smearing and a significant taming of the over-exuberant treble range so that there is only a hint of too much treble energy (eg, that produces slight sibilance in the upper range of soprano voices). When using the V281 amp, I can no longer detect any excess treble energy and the sound is very neutral and very natural throughout the frequency range. 

5) The overall sound is very "pure" and less grainy. I listen to a lot of opera music and I have always noted that the sound produced by opera singers is less "pure" and slightly uneven/grainy (using my V200) compared to my considerable personal experience with hearing "live" opera at the Met (where I used to attend about 15-20 performances/year when I lived near NYC). The slight sense of graininess (uneven voice quality) that is still present when I use my V200 is not present when using my V281 amp and this is the first time in my 45 year history of being an ardent audiophile that I have achieved this delightful auditory result.

Jeff.

Nov 4, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #741 of 5,977
  I have noted that a number of forum members do not think that there is a significant difference between SE versus balanced mode when it comes to driving headphones with a V281. By contrast, I am discovering that the V281 (in balanced mode) is significantly better than my V200 with respect to my HD800 headphones. Now that my amp is more "burned-in" I can better describe these differences - when using my Sony 5400ES CD-player as my only sound source.

Before I describe the differences in sound production, I will comment on two issues.

When I originally used my new V281 I found that the loud orchestral passages sounded unnaturally loud (and even raucous) when I set the softer orchestral passages at a clearly discernible volume level. That problem has resolved itself - presumably as a result of the "burn-in" process because I have not changed my system. I can now set the softer orchestral sound level louder (which is my preference for a more "sitting in the front row" aural experience rather than a "sitting in the mid-hall" aural experience) and the loud passages are then very loud, but not unnaturally raucous.

Secondly, project86 suggested that my Sony 5400ES is not really a balanced output device because it only produces 2V output at the XLR output jacks. I therefore performed the following experiment. I personally own two 5400ES CD-players so I connected the one (i) to the V281 with RCA connectors and the other one (ii ) with XLR connectors. I then played orchestral music with (i) and set the volume control at a comfortable listening level (with the pre-gain set at -6). I then listened to (ii)  playing the same CD/music with the volume control and pre-gain control at the same setting. The volume level produced by my HD800 phones was very similar suggesting that (ii) is not putting out more power/voltage than (i) - and I suppose that means that my CD-player is not a "pure" balanced CD-player. I was also able to confirm that I personally prefer the sound when using XLR cables between the CD-player and my V281 amp. I am a music-lover, and not an audiophile-expert, and I am looking for advice. Could I get even better sound if I use a fully ("pure) balanced CD-player rather than my Sony 5400ES CD-player? Which fully balanced CD-player would you recommend? As an alternative approach, as I love Vioelectric products, I could buy the V800 DAC and then buy a CD transport. Would this be an even better solution? Which CD transport would you recommend?

Now, here is my personal impression of the V281 amp when used to drive my HD800 headphones in balanced mode - compared to my V200 amp, which obviously operates as a SE device.

1) The biggest difference relates to the soundstaging. The soundstage is wider and deeper, and therefore more capacious (cavernous). The soundstage also sounds more unconstrained/borderless at its outer limits. Instrument (or voice) location in the soundstage is identical to my V200 and they both image wonderfully well with silent (black) backgrounds. However, the sound produced with the V281 is more full-bodied - presumably because the soundstage is bigger (and because there is no increased amount of "air" surrounding each instrument in the bigger soundstage). I can also discern significantly better clarity of each instrument/voice when playing complex musical passages eg. when listening to opera when a number of individual opera singers are singing at the same time while a male chorus and female chorus are simultaneously singing) with less auditory congestion (smearing of sounds). 

2) The V281 amp also produces a greater dynamic range. When I set the volume control for a desired volume level for softer orchestral passages, then the loud orchestral passages are louder (when compared to my V200 experience). Also, the transition in sound levels from ppp => pf => fff is more seamless/effortless and more reminiscent of "live" orchestral music (when I sit in "front row" seats).

3) The V281 can also produce very soft sounds (eg. plucked harp string, soft triangle strikes, castanet clicks, very soft kettle drum drumbeats) with greater clarity and a faster transient attack. When listening to the Mercury Living Presence "Balalaika Favorites" CD, I can more clearly hear each individual string-pluck with no overhang (no smearing/congestion) that more closely resembles "live" sound.

4) The frequency balance is much better. My HD800 headphones are now very neutral sounding. The HD900 headphones have a reputation of having an over-exuberant treble balance and this is very apparent when I plug the headphones directly into either my Marantz 8001 or Sony 5400ES CD-player's inbuilt headphone jack. When I use the V200 between the CD-player and my headphones, the sound is much improved with much better soundstaging, far less congestion/smearing and a significant taming of the over-exuberant treble range so that there is only a hint of too much treble energy (eg, that produces slight sibilance in the upper range of soprano voices). When using the V281 amp, I can no longer detect any excess treble energy and the sound is very neutral and very natural throughout the frequency range. 

5) The overall sound is very "pure" and less grainy. I listen to a lot of opera music and I have always noted that the sound produced by opera singers is less "pure" and slightly uneven/grainy (using my V200) compared to my considerable personal experience with hearing "live" opera at the Met (where I used to attend about 15-20 performances/year when I lived near NYC). The slight sense of graininess (uneven voice quality) that is still present when I use my V200 is not present when using my V281 amp and this is the first time in my 45 year history of being an ardent audiophile that I have achieved this delightful auditory result.

Jeff.

Well done.  I think you nailed it between se and balanced.

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #742 of 5,977

Jeff.

Awesome work Jeff.

I've been using the Cyrus CD Transport lately in my chain (Cyrus CDT> DAC > V281 > LCDX) and I think it sounds fabulous. I auditioned the Musical Fidelity M1 CD Transport as well, but I thought the Cyrus was clearly better after only one A/B. If you can, I would recommend auditioning it or other Cyrus CD Players and transports. Too bad I need to return the Cyrus because it is having skipping issues.

Nov 4, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #743 of 5,977
Nice write up Jeff. Thanks for your input.
I'm almost beginning to think I should've ordered the V281 instead of V220 and plan a recable process for my cans. This place is cursed :)

Just a couple of notes:

1 - You could've used the V281 in SE also which probably would be a more direct comparison than V200 for the purpose of the test: SE vs BAL.
2 - You already have a transport with the digital out of the Sony (it has them, right?).

As for the DAC, I'm not sure if V800 is the best buy right now since there will be a pair of them coming out, presumably next year from Violectric: a slimmed down version and an upper model to V800. Probably best to wait? Your wallet should know best! Anyway, I'm sure some of the best DAC rollers will chime in with great input as always.  

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #744 of 5,977
Nice write up Jeff. Thanks for your input.
I'm almost beginning to think I should've ordered the V281 instead of V220 and plan a recable process for my cans. This place is cursed :)

Just a couple of notes:

1 - You could've used the V281 in SE also which probably would be a more direct comparison than V200 for the purpose of the test: SE vs BAL.
2 - You already have a transport with the digital out of the Sony (it has them, right?).

As for the DAC, I'm not sure if V800 is the best buy right now since there will be a pair of them coming out, presumably next year from Violectric: a slimmed down version and an upper model to V800. Probably best to wait? Your wallet should know best! Anyway, I'm sure some of the best DAC rollers will chime in with great input as always.  

I could have compared the V281 in balanced mode to the V281 in SE-mode, but that would have required me to frequently change the cable connection to my headphones (or use a special adaptor), which was too great a hassle. Also, my personal opinions aren't intended to be a scientific study, but merely a personal reflection of how I perceive my headphones-sound has changed since getting the V281. I have owned the V200/HD800 combo for 3 years, so I can clearly remember how they sound using different types of music. I simply listened to some of my favorite classical/opera CDs using the V281 (in balanced mode) to drive my HD800 headphones, and I simply compared their sound to the remembered sound that I previously obtained when driving my headphones with the V200.

Jeff.

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #745 of 5,977
Hey guys, is my listening volume very low or something.

I just got a HE-6, with DAC (Auralic Vega, balanced output) and Foobar both at 100% volume, at pre-gain of -12 I am at roughly 11 - 12 o'clock. It is actually quite loud already.

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #746 of 5,977
 I assume you're listening balanced on a 281.  Doesn't strike me as overly silent, with my HE-6 and pre-gain at 0 on my V200 I used to be at about 12, that gave me approximately correct reproduction (vs sitting in a concert hall) with classical music.

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #747 of 5,977
I use The internal coax input and drive my ABYSS with pre gain setting +6db and Volume At one o clock(it's very loud)

NOMAX

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #748 of 5,977
What I find interesting and convenient, the volume from internal DAC (Coax) matches exactly (within 0.05dB) volume from Lynx Hilo, which is calibrated to 0dBV_(+-0.01dB). Makes comparisons very easy.

The listening volume with HD800 at 0dB pregain is for me about 11. 

Note that comparing the listening volume makes sense only if you can calibrate the source volume to the same level, as it can vary from album to album by as much as 15dB. 

Nov 6, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #749 of 5,977
I also noted pages ago, that the main difference I noticed swapping from SE to BAL with my LCD-2s was the soundstage, clarity and body.

With BAL mode, I get more soundstage and clarity, but the "bad" aspect of this, is you get a tad less body overall, with SE mode, everything sounds heavier as the result of being narrower.

For me after months, I prefer the BAL mode on the LCD-2, I prefer SE mode on the HD800, BAL on HE-560, SE on DT880, K701 and Grados.

Also note, HE-560 and LCD-2 have plenty of body on BAL mode (like crazy for sure), this amps gives them superpower bass/sub extension! HD800 has enough (even more than I would like) soundstage on SE so I want the extra body.

BTW my listening levels are between 8 to 14, depending on the CD/SACD, Movie, etc. and headphone (from Denon AH-D7000 to LCD-2 to K701 to SR325is, etc.)

Pre-gain at -6.

Nov 6, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #750 of 5,977
The HE560 is actually the only headphone I prefer in SE on the V281, the HE-400i and all the other Hifiman's and Audeze headphones sound better in balanced
Personal preference I guess :)

I'm finding with the balanced out that the HE-560 retain most of their fullness. That seems to be a characteristic of the amp as they sounded a bit thin out of the Burson Soloist. It does, however, seem to be a little unforgiving of poorer recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back