Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Oct 20, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #646 of 5,977
Is anyone using the violectic v800 dac with the v281 amp? Looking for some impressions compared to the internal dac or other external dacs.

I'm owning the v200 and v800 and looking to upgrade the v200 and buy some balanced headphone cables for my hd800. (I'm thinking the 'overpriced' balanced sennheiser cables)

Thanks!

Oct 20, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #647 of 5,977
or you can just re-terminate the stock 1/4 trs with a 4 pole xlr, i use these ones, really nice and cheaply available on ebay http://www.neutrik.com/en/xlr/xlr-cable-connectors/xx-series/

there are black and silver color option with either gold or silver plating, gold wont stain

Oct 20, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #648 of 5,977
  Is anyone using the violectic v800 dac with the v281 amp? Looking for some impressions compared to the internal dac or other external dacs.

V800 is an excellent DAC and should sound great with V281 - a step up from the internal DAC option, as it should be for the price.

Oct 20, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #649 of 5,977
  or you can just re-terminate the stock 1/4 trs with a 4 pole xlr, i use these ones, really nice and cheaply available on ebay http://www.neutrik.com/en/xlr/xlr-cable-connectors/xx-series/

there are black and silver color option with either gold or silver plating, gold wont stain

I suppose you need 4 pole male connectors (http://www.neutrik.com/en/xlr/xx-series/nc4mxx-b). I just don't have any soldering experience or equipment. I do like the idea though. Thanks roskodan.

V800 is an excellent DAC and should sound great with V281 - a step up from the internal DAC option, as it should be for the price.

Thanks project86. I was hoping for that. Have you heard this combo as well?

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #650 of 5,977

Thanks project86. I was hoping for that. Have you heard this combo as well?

I have the V800 out on loan but am extremely familiar with it, having used it for several years with various amps. So I have not used it with my V281 but I'm confident it would pair very well. 

Oct 21, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #651 of 5,977
I cannot decide between the V281 with built-in USB DAC module (my budget forbids a standalone DAC on top of a very expensive amp) and a Yulong DA8 with either the A18 or A28 (plus balanced interconnects) to drive my HE-560. Which direction would Project86 go given similar financial constraints?

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #653 of 5,977
You won't be sorry. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #654 of 5,977
Ha! That didn't take long, did it? Thought about it a few hours and made a choice.

I think you made the right move. A top level headphone deserves a killer amp, and that's exactly what you'll get with the V281. The DAC section is "good enough" for some serious enjoyment, and later down the road you can always spring for some high-end unit if you want. 

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #655 of 5,977
Ha! That didn't take long, did it? Thought about it a few hours and made a choice.

I think you made the right move. A top level headphone deserves a killer amp, and that's exactly what you'll get with the V281. The DAC section is "good enough" for some serious enjoyment, and later down the road you can always spring for some high-end unit if you want. 

It's taken quite a while. I've been interested for a few months and have had it in various electronic shopping baskets without ever having the conviction to actually pay for it - until now. At least at this level I should be reassured that there's not a lot out there that can significantly better my amp. Got it at a decent price too.

Now it's just a case of waiting for the balanced cable to arrive.

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #658 of 5,977
I think the amp will probably arrive from Germany before the cable arrives from America. I've read plenty about how good this amp is in balanced mode; I hope single-ended isn't too underwhelming.

I seriously doubt you will be underwhelmed.  I listened to the Abyss at an audio show on the weekend driven off this amp and the retailer couldn't find the 4pin to 2x3pin balanced adapter but did have the 1/4inch to 2x3pin xlr adapter so I had a listen to it single ended mode and I loved it - so much so I bought one, so if it only gets better off the balanced output I'll be one happy man.

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #659 of 5,977

I'm owning the v200 and v800 and looking to upgrade the v200 and buy some balanced headphone cables for my hd800. (I'm thinking the 'overpriced' balanced sennheiser cables)

Thanks!

I'm about to try it, as soon as I can convert my V800 from 230V to 120V.

Although the only reason I'm doing it is to use a CD transport, as my V281 has only USB input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back