Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jan 30, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #2,626 of 5,932
  And again the pin-out of the 4-pin XLR, not only on our amps but the world wide de-facto standard:
Pin 1 = left channel, in-phase
Pin 2 = left channel, out-of-phase
Pin 3 = right channel, in-phase
Pin 4 = right channel, out-of-phase

If there is any shielding on the cable ( which is absolutely not necessary for headphones !!! )
this should be cut or connected to the case of the connector and must not be connected to any of the four pins.

Pin 1 to Tip, Pin 3 to Ring, Case (of the connector) to Sleeve. Other pins are not connected to anything.
Is this the same as to plug the headphones to the right TRS socket (in STEREO mode)?

Pin 2 to Tip, Pin 4 to Ring, Case to Sleeve. Other pins are not connected to anything.
Is this the same as to plug the headphones to the left TRS socket?

I mean, is the case of the 4-pin XLR connector the same as Sleeve of the TRS jacks?

UPD
Looks like 4-pin XLR cannot be used for SE output at all.
The case of the connector is not the same as sleeve of the TRS sockets.

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #2,627 of 5,932
@zhgutov

We got 4 amps in our balanced headphone amps.
These serve for
- left channel, in-phase
- left channel, out-of-phase
- right channel, in-phase
- right channel, out-of-phase

But there is not only balanced headphone in this world.
So - for unbalanced connection - we thought it is a good idea that the left and right in-phase amps feed one TRS socket (the right one)
and the left and right out-of-phase amps feed the other TRS socket, the left one.
When you connect 2 unbalanced headphones to our balanced amps they will not bother each other as they are driven by dedicated amps.

If you would make adapter from 4-pin XLR back to TRS like you mentioned it:  
"Pin 1 to Tip, Pin 3 to Ring, Case (of the connector) to Sleeve. Other pins are not connected to anything.
Is this the same as to plug the headphones to the right TRS socket (in STEREO mode)?"
or
"Pin 2 to Tip, Pin 4 to Ring, Case to Sleeve. Other pins are not connected to anything.
Is this the same as to plug the headphones to the left TRS socket?"
chances are high that you will not hear anything as only one pin from the ear pieces is connected and the other remains open.

"I mean, is the case of the 4-pin XLR connector the same as Sleeve of the TRS jacks?"
It depends on the wiring of the headphones:
As I mentioned earlier the shielding of the headphone cable (if there is any) is good for nothing.
In contrary, it reduces the chances of having thicker useful wires.
On most headphones cables the shield is connected to the out-of-phase wires on the TRS connector side.
But not necessarily on the earpieces end !

An adaptor from 4-pin XLR back to TRS will only make sense when you connect
Pin 1 to Tip,
Pin 3 to Ring,
Pin 2 and 4 to Sleeve
If there is a shield you may connect it also to the Sleeve - but you must not.

Now you will hear the in phase signal from the right TRS socket or the out-of-phase signal from the left socket.

If you like to you may also connect
Pin 2 to Tip,
Pin 4 to Ring,
Pin 1 and 3 to Sleeve
Now - as your headphone is completely phase reversed - you will hear the the in-phase signal from the left socket and the out-of-phase signal from the right socket.

What I want to say is that with more than one balanced signal you should always pay attention to the correct treatment of the phases.
It is simple with only two channels.
But imagine a recording session with 50 or more microphones ...
That´s why mixing consoles have phase switches for each channel.

Cheers, Fried 

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #2,628 of 5,932

If you would make adapter from 4-pin XLR back to TRS like you mentioned it:  
"Pin 1 to Tip, Pin 3 to Ring, Case (of the connector) to Sleeve. Other pins are not connected to anything.
Is this the same as to plug the headphones to the right TRS socket (in STEREO mode)?"
or
"Pin 2 to Tip, Pin 4 to Ring, Case to Sleeve. Other pins are not connected to anything.
Is this the same as to plug the headphones to the left TRS socket?"
chances are high that you will not hear anything as only one pin from the ear pieces is connected and the other remains open.   

Oh, looks like I mean something different (my english is bad, sorry). I am talking about headphones with TRS plug inserted into the 4-pin XLR socket.
So, Tip (on headphones) to Pin 1 (on amp), Ring (on headphones) to Pin 3 (on amp), and Sleeve (on headphones) to Case (on amp).
Is this the same as to plug the headphones to the right TRS socket in STEREO mode?
I know, it is not so useful, because I can just plug the headphones to the right TRS socket.
My question is just to clarify everything.
Is the case of the 4-pin XLR (on amp) the same as Sleeve of the TRS jacks (on amp)?

UPD
Looks like 4-pin XLR cannot be used for SE output at all.
The case of the connector is not the same as sleeve of the TRS sockets.

Jan 30, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #2,629 of 5,932
I know it's not a V281 but it's for a V281.

I received this today from Violectrics:

XLR extender (7 meters long) made at the V281 specification. Thanks to Fried.

So well built.

I will test tonight. I'm in my happy place. I can go back to using the NightHawks and V281 combo.

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #2,630 of 5,932
Fried modded my HD800 cable to XLR and built an adapter with the rest. Top notch work for "simply" modding an existing cable. You could slay a demon with this cable now, it's like a grim whip that would force a galleon full of Mordor Orcs to retake Umbar all by themselves. The XLR cable that came with the HD800S (which I sold) in comparison is a joke. I wonder if the default HD800 cable meets the optimum minimal electrical requirements.

Imo Violectric should offer headphone cables as well, though I guess some connectors are a pain in the ass to modify. Like making a K812 balanced etc. Plus it would add a lot of manhours and their portfolio is much bigger than Vio alone. 

I'll be ordering some extension cables as well someday. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #2,632 of 5,932
I just got the ZMF Eikon headphones, and I'm absolutely floored by how good these sound out of a Jotunheim.   I have a Feliks Elise, and it's a bad pairing imo.   The situation is pushing me into either considering a Wells Milo, an AURALiC Taurus MKII, the V281, or perhaps a Schiit Ragnarok.  Overall feature wise, I'm liking the V281 (on paper) more.  It's smaller than the Rag, seems to have more creature comforts than the Taurus, and the Milo seems overkill power wise.   The volume pot/remote upgrade lets me use balanced out to the monitors on my desk remotely, which is another plus.   By all the reviews I've read, the Taurus compares the best.  

From someone who recently heard the V281 on the Eikons, there is a feeling that some warmth and color is presented by the V281.   Any thoughts on this?  The Taurus is more inside my price bracket, but I'd rather hand my $ to a company in Europe than China, and the extra features would be cool.  I just don't know how well the Eikon pairing will go.

Thanks all

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #2,633 of 5,932
  I just got the ZMF Eikon headphones, and I'm absolutely floored by how good these sound out of a Jotunheim.   I have a Feliks Elise, and it's a bad pairing imo.   The situation is pushing me into either considering a Wells Milo, an AURALiC Taurus MKII, the V281, or perhaps a Schiit Ragnarok.  Overall feature wise, I'm liking the V281 (on paper) more.  It's smaller than the Rag, seems to have more creature comforts than the Taurus, and the Milo seems overkill power wise.   The volume pot/remote upgrade lets me use balanced out to the monitors on my desk remotely, which is another plus.   By all the reviews I've read, the Taurus compares the best.  

From someone who recently heard the V281 on the Eikons, there is a feeling that some warmth and color is presented by the V281.   Any thoughts on this?  The Taurus is more inside my price bracket, but I'd rather hand my $ to a company in Europe than China, and the extra features would be cool.  I just don't know how well the Eikon pairing will go.

Thanks all

I've heard both the Taurus and V281 often. Teamed up with the Auralic Vega DAC.

Taurus is neutral cold with no holographics. Very Fatiguing but detailed.

V281 is neutral warm with holographics that equal my tube amp. V281 can be listened to all day.

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #2,634 of 5,932
the link about the ZMFs talks about the V280 (not the V281) which has a slight touch of warmth compared to the V281.

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #2,635 of 5,932
  the link about the ZMFs talks about the V280 (not the V281) which has a slight touch of warmth compared to the V281.

Oh, good catch, thank you.  

Feb 14, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #2,636 of 5,932
I'm back finally and finally I am starting to hear a difference between my v281 / v850 and Schiit Lyr 2 / Bifrost. The difference is like night and day now. The Lyr 2 with the warm tubes that I have in it does sound a bit warmer and fuller in the bass but muddy compared to the violetric. The lyr 2 is veiled and muddled compared to the viloetric setup. I know its not a fair comparison between a ~$900 setup and a ~$4000 setup, but finally I can see that the money is starting to pay off. Yay!

Edit: I used my beyer T90's instead of the Hifiman HE-1000's. I know planars react differently to amps than dynamic headphones because of the impedance curve.

Feb 15, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #2,637 of 5,932
I'm back finally and finally I am starting to hear a difference between my v281 / v850 and Schiit Lyr 2 / Bifrost. The difference is like night and day now. The Lyr 2 with the warm tubes that I have in it does sound a bit warmer and fuller in the bass but muddy compared to the violetric. The lyr 2 is veiled and muddled compared to the viloetric setup. I know its not a fair comparison between a ~$900 setup and a ~$4000 setup, but finally I can see that the money is starting to pay off. Yay!

Edit: I used my beyer T90's instead of the Hifiman HE-1000's. I know planars react differently to amps than dynamic headphones because of the impedance curve.

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by "The difference is like night and day now". I also have the same set up fed by Aries Mini via Coax and paired with HD800 (balanced), K812 and Elears. I also had HE6 for few days which was nice. My set up is over 200hrs used so well over burning period and is fed by power conditioners and shielded cables. I previously had PC via USB-> MOJO-> Luxman P200-> SE HD800 and the difference was subtle (I would say +5-10% max) then I paired Mojo->V281 and also Aries Mini Dac with Jays Linear Power Supply->V281 instead of V850 DAC and there also difference are very minimal. I say minimum by 5-10% better and nothing to say night & day. I am not saying I am unhappy but then come to realise that the improvements in DAC/AMP bring is very very minimal and people just use words that mislead many people. I am currently testing Aries mini-> Chord Mojo-> AKG K812 vs Aries mini-> V850 (Balanced cable)-> V281-> Balance HD800 and see which I like. For me AKG812 is better via Mojo direct so just want to see as I got Vio set up to see how good HD800 go. I was certainly happy with   MOJO-> Luxman P200-> SE HD800 before and can say it still is after listing to Vio set up.

I know of another headfier  who had Schitt Valhalla 2 and Schiit  GUNGNIR multibit and then he was saying multibit was more detailed but the amp was bit drier than V281. Then he sold the entire thing V850/V281 via Headfi forum as he says the money he spent was nothing compared to improvement he got and went back to Schiit gear. He also used HD800 balanced and V850 to V281 via balanced cable

I am not here to start an argument or anything. Just for my understanding and for other's benifit as there is very limited comparison between Schiit products vs Vio. I have never had listed to Schiit products and I am not going that way either but may down size my gear as improvements are minor with Amps and DACs where you have taken care of pairing of Brighter HP with warmer gear or Warmer headphone with brighter DAC/AMP which I do believe is the most important (but improvement in sound quality and characteristics from $500 gear to $2500 DAC is very very minimal once you do brighter and warmer pairing like Mojo with K812 and not LCDs and LCDs with Hugo which is bit brighter kind)

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #2,638 of 5,932
  Can you please elaborate on what you mean by "The difference is like night and day now". ...
I am not saying I am unhappy but then come to realise that the improvements in DAC/AMP bring is very very minimal and people just use words that mislead many people. ...

Just for my understanding and for other's benifit as there is very limited comparison between Schiit products vs Vio. I have never had listed to Schiit products and I am not going that way either but may down size my gear as improvements are minor with Amps and DACs where you have taken care of pairing of Brighter HP with warmer gear or Warmer headphone with brighter DAC/AMP which I do believe is the most important (but improvement in sound quality and characteristics from $500 gear to $2500 DAC is very very minimal once you do brighter and warmer pairing like Mojo with K812 and not LCDs and LCDs with Hugo which is bit brighter kind)

I can try, but I'm a n00bish reviewer and just starting to come to trust my ears. No prob on calling me out on this, with this, you've moved me a bit to try harder :) and I think I've grown a bit in my audiophilia with this exercise. I didn't know that the comparisons between Schiit gear and Violetric gear was so rare.

First off, I'm not using any power conditioners, just relying on the internal power conditioning of my gear. And, so before when I was evaluating my gear I did:

Bifrost Uber unbal -> Lyr 2 min gain with Amperex 7308 vintage gold pin tubes -> T90
v850 bal -> V281 -12db gain -> T90 (unbalanced of course)

I made an earlier post in this thread lamenting that I couldn't hear any differences in this equipment comparison. The night and day difference to me that I heard this time was indeed subjective, I was simply surprised at the difference that I was noticing. The main differences that I noted was the the Schiit stack sounded warmer but less detailed and murkier. Before I go into the details, let me clarify that I've also now compared:

Bifrost Uber unbal -> v281 -> balanced HE-1000
v850 balanced -> v281 -> balanced HE-1000

I attenuated the volume control on the v850 to about halfway between 2 and 3 o'clock to match it to the Bifrost Uber. Since I haven't been able to hear any differences in prior tests, I just used Carmina Burana: O Fortruna from the London Philharmonic Orchestra as the test track. Try as I may, I was unable to identify any difference in the sound either in tone or detail or soundstage between the Bifrost and the v850. Both seemed flawless and the same to each other. So the difference I was hearing must have been between the Lyr 2 and v281.

For this test, to be fair, I did:
v850 unbal -> Lyr 2 same tubes -> T90
v850 bal -> v281 -> T90 unbal

and I restored the volume of the v850 to max. I equalized the audio between the two amps with the online tone generator and a spl meter. I used more test tracks from the London Philharmonic Orchestra for this test. This comparison with further critial listening was very difficult; before wasn't nearly as indepth of a test but was just casual listening. For the first part of the test I continued with the London Philharmonic Orchestra recordings. For the second part of the test I listened to rock music.

I noticed a touch more presence and fullness of the mid and upper bass from the Lyr 2 and it was overall warmer than the v281, but the v281's had better extension into the lower seismic region. The Lyr 2 had an overall a slightly veiled characteristic, while the v281 was more transparent. The mids and treble punched through the bass on the v281, maybe this is a better transient response and attack. The treble was noticeably more detailed and more clearly rendered on the v281 too, with better extension.  

In the busier parts of the tracks, there were also better dyanmics of volume on the v281 vs Lyr 2, and the separation of the instruments was superior on the v281 as well. As far as soundstage goes, I'm a really poor judge here, even with orchestral recordings. For this aspect of sound I whipped out the HE-1000's with the unbalanced cable. All I can say is that it felt more like I was in the room with the music with the v281 than it did with the Lyr 2. Perhaps the Lyr 2 seemed more intimate and less airy than the v281.

Overall, I preferred the v281 to the Lyr 2 for the orchestra tracks.

I found that the Lyr 2 provided an easier listen to many of the rock songs I tried, loud and compressed. I listened to Foo Fighters, A Perfect Circle, A Flock of Seagulls, and Rush songs. The v281 was colder, more analytical, had greater attack, and was less forgiving than the Lyr 2. Bass had slightly more thump and faster decay on the v281, but again mid and upper bass was warmer and louder on the Lyr 2. Male vocals seemed slightly clearer and more distinct on the v281 than the Lyr 2 (I been back and forth on this one a two or three times), especially in the presence of other loud instruments, and the vocals were also slightly more natural on the v281. Treble was more clearer and crisper more rendered on the v281 but sometimes earsplitting on the cymbals.

Which do I prefer for rock? It depends on the track. The more compressed and louder the recording, the more I prefer the Lyr 2. Overall, the difference was more slight than I initially thought, but with an edge towards the v281. Keep in mind that for the entire test I only used the left unbalanced output with the v281.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #2,639 of 5,932
In my experience - a smallish difference that may indeed be quantified as 5-10% in specific terms, can nonetheless be a real game changer when it comes to the total experience. If I now enjoy solo violin or piano (or whatever music) and it keeps me engaged, or inspires me to listen in ways I otherwise would not/could not, doesn't that sound like the game has been changed? 

Imagine going from an old video card with choppy/unpredictable frame rate in games, to a slightly faster card that allows a fairly consistent 30 fps. Maybe not a huge difference on paper but if 30 fps is your personal threshold for enjoyment and the upgrade puts you over the edge, that's significant. Not a perfect analogy but you get the point.

Now imagine upgrading from a card that averages 40 fps to another that gets you around 48 fps. That may not feel like much of an improvement at all - you already passed the significant 30 fps mark but aren't yet hitting the magic 60 fps, so it might feel like a waste. 

My point is that differences can be small yet transformative if they unlock some previously unattainable enjoyment. It's not always "veils lifted". And the improvement that really impacts your enjoyment might do very little for someone else.

Just food for thought. 

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #2,640 of 5,932
Agreed. I'm glad to be at the point where I can hear a difference now; I'm surprised that I was able to get as analytical as I did on the sound. The small differences do add up :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back