Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jan 24, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #2,581 of 5,977
Very nice room, you can sense and see all the passion and love, attention for detail.

I'm using the relais remote and I feel you 13713. It's so very unusual at first.

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #2,582 of 5,977

Wow, New Zealand... Now I understand why you did not want to order the cable with delivery from Germany =)

I did. I paid for it yesterday. There wasn't a lot of options for me here and in the end I figured it was best that I purchased the cable from the same company who makes the amp.
Very nice room, you can sense and see all the passion and love, attention for detail.

I'm using the relais remote and I feel you 13713. It's so very unusual at first.

Thanks.

I knew ahead of time that the volume control made clicks. So it didn't freak me out. If I hadn't of know it would have. I probably would have turned it off thinking there was a fault.

Jan 24, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #2,583 of 5,977
Can anyone clarify what type of power supply that V281 has- Linear or switching. I know V850 has linear power supply.

Why I am asking is that I did follow audio hygiene series by The Hans Beekhuyzen Channel (you tube series on this). Hans recommend Linear power supplies.and as I know only component I am not sure having LPS is V281

After following the audio hygiene series I now have a decent chain
a) power conditioner (BADA LB 3300)
b) shielding power cables for V281/V850 (AU IEC Plug red copper adio OFC)
c) V850->V281 via balanced  shielded cables (after market but oked by Fried Reim).
d) Auralic Aries Mini Streamer With Jay's Audio LPS
e) shielded 75ohms coax cable (oked by Fried Reim)
f) Source- Sinology NAS 213j Flac collection and Tidal streaming via Aries mini connected wifi mode to my router
g) HD800 ( balanced cable -  FURUKAWA PCOCC cable with black color Teflon sleeving, Swiss made Neutrik XLR stereo plug and 24k gold-plated connector pins).
Sound good with impactful base and not fatiguing highs 

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #2,585 of 5,977
Jan 25, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #2,587 of 5,977
  Does it sound better now that you know that? :p

​Of course not. I was just doing small tweaks and I know that audit is done and I have closed the small gaps. I have not spent a lot of money but thought about each component and used money more effectively- not going over the limit to get say $1k cables but leave other items unattended , Just ensured that I have some decent components in the full chain. I would consider spending much more on cables etc only if I ever decide to go for $10k+ Dac and similar amp etc as then I am going for the last say 1-2%.

I was very skeptical about the audio hygiene thing first but it does make sense. If I moved to another house (say older one with not so good power cabling etc) then the system that I put in place now may still preform equally good - why leave doubts on small things

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #2,588 of 5,977
hey guys, the v281 came in yesterday, I'm using it with my Cambridge 851C DAC, running fully balanced with my HE-1000 v2's. I've listened for about 8-10 hours, and you guys were not wrong, this is a special amp. the touch of warmth that this amp adds to the music is just magical, I have never heard my HE-1000 v2's this good. great detail, very nice bass presentation, seems to be a really great combination for longer listening sessions aswell, no fatigue at all. I will continue to listen and post some more impressions, so far I'm very impressed!!

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #2,589 of 5,977
  hey guys, the v281 came in yesterday, I'm using it with my Cambridge 851C DAC, running fully balanced with my HE-1000 v2's. I've listened for about 8-10 hours, and you guys were not wrong, this is a special amp. the touch of warmth that this amp adds to the music is just magical, I have never heard my HE-1000 v2's this good. great detail, very nice bass presentation, seems to be a really great combination for longer listening sessions aswell, no fatigue at all. I will continue to listen and post some more impressions, so far I'm very impressed!!

It really truly is crazy how good the amp is. I know those of us that own devices are usually very bias towards them but I am actually shocked how great the amp is. What do you like to listen to mostly?

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #2,590 of 5,977
  It really truly is crazy how good the amp is. I know those of us that own devices are usually very bias towards them but I am actually shocked how great the amp is. What do you like to listen to mostly?

​hey 13713, I listen to mostly old hip-hop music, rnb / funk and I also enjoy classical. yesterday I was listening to The Weeknd, the new album Starboy and the album Beauty Behind The Madness, was also listening to the new SOHN album, Rennen. Starboy is a very well recorded album IMO, specifically the songs "Secrets" and "I Feel It Coming". if you have any albums you can recommend me, please do. gonna be having some long listening sessions over the next few days.

Jan 25, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #2,591 of 5,977
  It really truly is crazy how good the amp is. I know those of us that own devices are usually very bias towards them but I am actually shocked how great the amp is. 

Agreed. At any given moment I've got a half a dozen or more amps in my system. And at any given moment the V281 tends to be my favorite.

Jan 25, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #2,592 of 5,977
Yeah, my search is definitely over for now, this is such a great amplifier. the sound is so musical, easy to listen to. I sold off my HD800's a few months back because they sounded very bright on my EF-6, now I kinda wish I still had them here to test with the V281, can imagine it being a great pairing.

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #2,593 of 5,977
Agreed. At any given moment I've got a half a dozen or more amps in my system. And at any given moment the V281 tends to be my favorite.

Yeah! Everytime I use the V281 I wonder why the heck I have an expensive tube amp.

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #2,594 of 5,977
That beautiful glow in the dark. 
evil_smiley.gif

at this year's High End Show I will try convince Fried again to build a tube amp.
LIKE EVERY YEAR IT WON'T HAPPEN.

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #2,595 of 5,977
  Yeah, my search is definitely over for now, this is such a great amplifier. the sound is so musical, easy to listen to. I sold off my HD800's a few months back because they sounded very bright on my EF-6, now I kinda wish I still had them here to test with the V281, can imagine it being a great pairing.

V281 + HD800 + Balanced cable + Sonarworks Reference 3 = incredible sound.

Seriously. Completely transforms the HD800 into an absolute beast. Nothing can come close for that money (especially if you get the HD800 second hand). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back