Violectric HPA V280 - balanced headphone amp - impressions and discussion thread
Nov 15, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #827 of 1,098
Uhh yes. It's not worth it. Too expensive. Postage, customs, tax ..
Thanks anyway
I know

It was expensive getting here into Australia too :)

Nov 15, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #828 of 1,098
Sorry for the dumb question but I just can not find the answer on google. To listen SE do you just plug the headphones into one of the outputs are does your cables need to split into two?

Nov 15, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #829 of 1,098
Sorry for the dumb question but I just can not find the answer on google. To listen SE do you just plug the headphones into one of the outputs are does your cables need to split into two?
just the one

Nov 15, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #830 of 1,098
Nov 15, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #831 of 1,098
There are two, 1/4 inch jacks, one on the left of the XLR and one on the right. They are out of phase. Oddly, the jack on the right is the in-phase jack so if you're listening SE use that one.

You can get balanced output by using the XLR jack of course, but also by using a double-ended splitter terminated in an XLR. I got one with my Brooklyn, I'll post a pic later.

Nov 15, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #832 of 1,098
Thank you @gimmeheadroom I am still considering adding this to RME. Just on the fence because I have no complaints at all with the RME other then the Sennheiser issue we discussed on the RME thread.

Nov 15, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #833 of 1,098
Thank you @gimmeheadroom I am still considering adding this to RME. Just on the fence because I have no complaints at all with the RME other then the Sennheiser issue we discussed on the RME thread.
Sorry, I forgot the details. You have the RME pro with two jacks or you mean you're thinking of buying a V280 to run off your RME?

Nov 15, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #834 of 1,098
I had all his amps tested at home. I do not know. Deimos was very good along with the HD800. At the time, I had an Aune S16 for a dac. However, Deimos is far too expensive. That's how it is if you do everything yourself - by hand. With home-made materials.

What about the other models?
I have a perfidus incoming for review but I have listened yet.

Nov 15, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #836 of 1,098
Here's a pic of the Metropolis-branded cable from Mytek I got when I bought my Brooklyn DAC+.

XLR adapter.JPG

It's available here https://mytekdigital.com/storeeu/hifi-products/bal-head-adptr.html

I think it is very well made and a nice cable but I don't use it since I have separate amps for both DACs. If you don't yet have an amp with balanced output or you have cans that need a little more horsepower from your DACamp that has two SE outputs out of phase, I can recommend the cable.

Nov 15, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #837 of 1,098
There are two, 1/4 inch jacks, one on the left of the XLR and one on the right. They are out of phase. Oddly, the jack on the right is the in-phase jack so if you're listening SE use that one.

You can get balanced output by using the XLR jack of course, but also by using a double-ended splitter terminated in an XLR. I got one with my Brooklyn, I'll post a pic later.
Running the V280 off of the RME

Nov 15, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #838 of 1,098
Running the V280 off of the RME
Ok, so then just use two XLR cables from the RME to the V280 and then XLR out, or for SE, use the right hand 1/4 inch jack.

BTW I think RME into the V280 is going to be very hard to beat, and probably impossible to beat for the money.

Nov 15, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #839 of 1,098
Ok, so then just use two XLR cables from the RME to the V280 and then XLR out, or for SE, use the right hand 1/4 inch jack.

BTW I think RME into the V280 is going to be very hard to beat, and probably impossible to beat for the money.
Thank you for the clarification on the output options. Yes you have mentioned in the past that you enjoyed the combo. I am not looking to use the amp to run my Sennheisers (I use tubes for that) but am wondering if it is a substantial upgrade in sound if I am listening with my ZMF Verite and Hifiman Arya. I have not heard anything from anyone with that combo.

Nov 15, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #840 of 1,098
Thank you for the clarification on the output options. Yes you have mentioned in the past that you enjoyed the combo. I am not looking to use the amp to run my Sennheisers (I use tubes for that) but am wondering if it is a substantial upgrade in sound if I am listening with my ZMF Verite and Hifiman Arya. I have not heard anything from anyone with that combo.
I don't use my RME into my V280 but from what I know of the two components it would be killer. @Fegefeuer has said the Arya is great out of his V280 but I don't remember what source(s) he uses. I guess the Verite would react in a similar way to Sennheisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back