Violectric HPA V280 - balanced headphone amp - impressions and discussion thread
Mar 18, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #406 of 1,098
What amps did you listen to?
Main testing rig was project Head Box RS plus the external power supply.
Total cost 1200€.
Other stuff were daps and one dac/amp.
IMG_20200303_214240608.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #407 of 1,098
My combo is the LP RS05>Vio V850>Vio V280. Glad that I own one too. Yet to upgrade to higher-end headphones as my current HD650 (and even Mad Dog) has scaled up so much that I am enjoying a lot without FOMO.
I would like to have a listen to the V850.
I am very curious.

Mar 18, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #408 of 1,098
In the past month or more I have been busy reviewing stuff at the 1K region , amps and players.
Today I am listening at last to my old trusted V280.
Now seriously guys , this is good , really good I am glad that I own one!

Old?! I just got mine in the last few months, I hope it's not obsolete yet :D

Yeah, this is a seriously good amp.

Mar 18, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #410 of 1,098
I would like to have a listen to the V850.
I am very curious.
IMO, you should not deprive yourself of having a listen on the synergistic combo V850/V280. Better still if you add a LP RS05 with Femto.

Mar 18, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #411 of 1,098

Well, anything more than few years in Head Fi world is consdered old :)
But new does not always equate to good.

Mar 18, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #412 of 1,098
V280/281 will not start sounding worse once the next generation arrives.

Mar 18, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #414 of 1,098

Even if new models come out, it will still be a seriously good amp. It's designed and constructed well and does what it is supposed to do. Newer amps might have more bells and whistles, but arguably won't be better.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #415 of 1,098
Yes but the next generation will surely sound better.
And that's a problem...

Yes it will, by Fried's comment. Hopefully I can listen to it sometime sooner or later.

Also, plenty of time before it drops and after more than 5 years I think a new generation isn't such a bad thing. I am glad they are not spamming successors but instead go for broadening the palette.

That's why the new gen starts with DAC/Amps

Mar 18, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #416 of 1,098
Yes it will, by Fried's comment. Hopefully I can listen to it sometime sooner or later.

Also, plenty of time before it drops and after more than 5 years I think a new generation isn't such a bad thing. I am glad they are not spamming successors but instead go for broadening the palette.

That's why the new gen starts with DAC/Amps
Is it better to have separate dac and amp vs integrated dac/amp ? I think former should be better although more costly approach. Views?

Mar 18, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #417 of 1,098
Always better to separate in any case but not everyone wants to give up real estate for separate devices and more cable clutter.

Mar 18, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #418 of 1,098
Always better to separate in any case but not everyone wants to give up real estate for separate devices and more cable clutter.
That is what I like about Violectric dacs and amps. They are stackable. So space is not really an issue.

Wonder what Fried is planning for the next gen. How do you improve something that is already so good without cannibalizing into Niimbus US4/4+. I remembered reading him saying that V281/V280 are already at the summit in terms of amp design and internal wiring topology,etc. Whatever is the new successor range, for amps, he should definitely keep the pre-gain switches. This is something I do not see in all other amps. And of course, balanced is the way to go !

Mar 18, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #419 of 1,098
Higher price brackets for marginal improvements is the norm so whoever wants the best technical upgrades has to pay more. Sometimes a lot more. That's true for a lot of gear in this Hobby. There is of course a psychological aspect behind it.

Anyway.

Not many can go the full path of the Niimbus line and stack all what is available and what is yet to come. Yet many of those wish to stay close and have good reason to be excited.

Oh, and DIP switches will remain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back