Violectric HPA V280 - balanced headphone amp - impressions and discussion thread
Apr 25, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #256 of 1,098
Hey I have a V280 and have never used balanced before. Is it possible to use the balanced output in the front when only RCA inputs are used?

Thanks

Just to note, you should read up on the specs of the amp to check if it will truly output a balanced signal from RCA unbalanced inputs.

If you use the unbalanced RCA inputs you may just be getting an unbalanced output from the XLR connection which defeats the purpose.

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #259 of 1,098
Is the v280 amp components identical to the v281? Im just interested in the headphones amp and not the extra features.

How does it compare to the ragnarox, gsxmk2, moon neo 430 ha?

Planning on upgrading my burson amp with my hd 800 S.

Thanks.

Apr 26, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #260 of 1,098
I asked Arthur if I didn’t need a preamp what amp should I get. He said the 280 without hesitation. He said they sound the same. The 280 has less power but if all you are using is the HD800S, you would not know. The 280 has a firm grip on the HD800S, that is my headphone of choice too. Plenty of power and amazing sound from the treble all the way down. Balanced or rca inputs, balanced or Contact Arthur if you are in the US of A or Fried if not. Great company to deal with. Good luck on your journey!

Apr 26, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #261 of 1,098
I asked Arthur if I didn’t need a preamp what amp should I get. He said the 280 without hesitation. He said they sound the same. The 280 has less power but if all you are using is the HD800S, you would not know. The 280 has a firm grip on the HD800S, that is my headphone of choice too. Plenty of power and amazing sound from the treble all the way down. Balanced or rca inputs, balanced or Contact Arthur if you are in the US of A or Fried if not. Great company to deal with. Good luck on your journey!

Cool thanks! I wonder though if the added power changes the sound signature at all even with the 800S ?

May 17, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #262 of 1,098
I just picked up a V280 from another head-fier. I've only had it for one night so thoughts will be coming soon, but it's looking good!

I had one question, has anyone done a comparison to see if there's any advantage to using a DAC through the balanced inputs as opposed to the unbalanced? Since the V280 is converting the unbalanced signal into balanced, I'm not familiar enough with the design if there is any advantage to using a balanced input?

I'm asking because I currently have a Schiit Bimby connected through single ended of course, but am wondering if all else equal the balanced inputs would be noticeably better?

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #263 of 1,098
Hello, just got few days ago my V280.
And I wan't to know is there a difference between connecting AMP and DAC through xlr or rca?
Thanks!

Jun 29, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #265 of 1,098
Can i plug multiple headphones in amp?
For example first headphone in left 1/4 and second in right 1/4. Or first headphones in XLR and second in one of 1/4.
Will it work if i connect headphones in all outputs?
What the difference is between left and right 1/4 jack outputs?

Thanks!

Jun 29, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #267 of 1,098
Hello, just got few days ago my V280.
And I wan't to know is there a difference between connecting AMP and DAC through xlr or rca?
Thanks!

Hello. While I do not have this unit, I think I may be able to offer some insight into your question. IF your DAC has balanced outs (XLR) and you connect it to the balanced inputs (XLR) on the Violectric, you will maintain a balanced signal throughout the chain up until your headphones.

If your DAC only has RCA outputs, the signal coming out of the DAC is not balanced. Is this important? Maybe but probably not. With short RCA runs (say less than 6 feet) it is unlikely you will notice much difference, if any at all between an RCA and XLR output (when calibrated to the same volume). However, a balanced signal is particularly useful if you need long cable runs (which could be one cause of signal degradation) or if you are noticing any extraneous noise in the signal path...which could be a shielding / RFI, or power grounding issue.

In the professional audio world, RCA interconnects are almost never used, and either 1/4" TRS or XLR balanced is usually the norm for interconnecting equipment (not instruments)....but then again, signal runs are generally much longer in the studio than the DAC / AMP-to-headphone path common in the average audiophile listening setup.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #268 of 1,098
Hi all, does anyone find their V280 gets very hot? Mine doesn't quite reach the 'too hot to touch' stage, but it's decidedly toasty when I put my hand on top. The volume control also gets very warm as well. It takes a while to warm up, so its not an instant thing, and then it stays constant. I only mention it as I saw a comment somewhere about Violectric running cool and that's definitely not the case with mine.

Aug 2, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #269 of 1,098
Hi all, does anyone find their V280 gets very hot? Mine doesn't quite reach the 'too hot to touch' stage, but it's decidedly toasty when I put my hand on top. The volume control also gets very warm as well. It takes a while to warm up, so its not an instant thing, and then it stays constant. I only mention it as I saw a comment somewhere about Violectric running cool and that's definitely not the case with mine.

No problems for me, mine maybe gets normally warm as any other, nothing noticeably hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back