Violectric HPA V280 - balanced headphone amp - impressions and discussion thread
Nov 19, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #61 of 1,098
  Based on violectric's website, v281 is " 4 amplifiers for true balanced headphone output"  and v280 is "4 amplifiers with V200 technology".  Does it mean v280 isn't  true balanced?

The V281 is also based on V200 tech, their only difference is their PCB and general Circuitry Design. Then again, what is "true balanced" to you?

Honestly, the V281 is not "true balanced" in the sense that it turns balanced signal coming from XLR in and converts it to single ended signal to be amplified by the 4 amplifiers culminating to the balanced out. If what you want is a "true balanced" amplifier, meaning you NEED a balanced in to get a balanced out, then take a look at the HeadAmp GSX MkII or dual Questyle CMA800R monoblocks.

For the most part, the immediate difference you will notice from using balanced input is higher volume. Another would be less noise(that is, if you are still hearing any noise from unbalanced inputs). Tonal differences will be either detected by either prolonged extended listening(which honestly borders to placebo territory, but other members do notice differences that I won't discredit).

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #62 of 1,098
I'm using v200+lcd2f, and want to buy a hd800 or hd800s. I readed on the web, that hd800 works better in balanced mode than single end mode, so I'm looking for a headphone amp with balanced mode. Maybe I should buy the headphone and try it with v200 first.

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #63 of 1,098
Most, if not all headphones will work/sound better in balanced mode. Some, however, prefer to use single ended on certain headphones due to certain tonal characteristics gained from using single ended. Just try first before you buy, the last thing you wanna do is spend $2000 on an amplifier that you can't tell any difference from your current gear.

Maybe I should buy the headphone and try it with v200 first.

It is ok to just buy the 800/800S first and pair it with the V200 first, if you find that it's good enough, then you just saved yourself a lot of cash!

I personally heard the V281+HD800S balanced combo and liked it very much that I purchased them both at the same time.

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #66 of 1,098
  Based on violectric's website, v281 is " 4 amplifiers for true balanced headphone output"  and v280 is "4 amplifiers with V200 technology".  Does it mean v280 isn't  true balanced?

It only implies that V280 uses V200 technology and uses 4 amplifiers to create a balanced output. As far as balanced topology goes The Violectric amps are true-balanced. Others may have a different sense of what balanced mean. But basic concept of what makes a balanced amp is exactly what the V280 or V281 does.

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #67 of 1,098
I just bought a V280 yesterday from the very helpful Arthur Power.   I will pair this with my LCD-X and a PS Audio DAC/Transport front end.  Looking forward to receiving it and getting it plugged in for the weekend. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #69 of 1,098

Nothing really useful on the review though. All hyperbole nothing objective imo. Especially, saying the V280 doesn't have enough power for HE-6 without giving anything how he determine or came to that conclusion. Completely useless if you ask me and may not know what he is talking about. 

FYI, I am using the V280 specifically for HE-6. If you have no headphone like HE-6 perhaps a V200 is still overkill imo.

Nov 23, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #71 of 1,098
I just bought a V280 yesterday from the very helpful Arthur Power.   I will pair this with my LCD-X and a PS Audio DAC/Transport front end.  Looking forward to receiving it and getting it plugged in for the weekend.  :)

I believe you will me amazed with that pairing. I'm using the V280 with a LCD-XC and it's incredible. On the mentioned review, they're using it with a LCD-4 with great results as well, so you can't go wrong.

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #72 of 1,098
The only headphone cords I've ever used have had standard 1/4" jacks. 

I know my HD800S's came with a 'mini XLR' cable for 'balanced' use into an amp that has that kind of input (two small plugs, one for each channel). 

The V280 has a single 4-pin XLR plug. I know people generally say 'balanced is quite a bit better' but is there any benefit at all to switching from a 1/4" plug to a 4 pin XLR? 

I always thought 'balanced = XLR' but I guess I'm not sure about if that holds true for both kinds of XLR plugs, the 'single 4-pin' or the 'two little ones'. 

Any info appreciated.

Nov 23, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #74 of 1,098
@Jodet to my knowledge the hd800s come with a regular xlr cable, 4 pins, not mini, single connector. The mini ones are way smaller and you can find them, for instance, on the audeze lcd to connect the driver to the cable.  
My understanding is  that a 3 pin xlr carries only a mono signal with a pin as ground, so you need a 4 pin one in order to have stereo balanced (+ and - each pin*2 channels ) on a single connector.
Difference it's audible, imho, but it's up to you to decide if it's worth the extra money

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #75 of 1,098
HD800S comes with a 4-PIN XLR balanced cable that goes right into the V281 and V280 to drive them in balanced mode - ditch the standard cable and go balanced RIGHT NOW 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back