Violectric HPA V280 - balanced headphone amp - impressions and discussion thread
Sep 27, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #48 of 1,098
Would love to hear some impressions and comparisons of this unit...

I have mine for 1 month now and I'm very glad with it! Built for last with great attention to detail, impressively heavy for its size. It's dead silent regardless the volume with no perceived distortion up to the full volume. I'm using it with my LCD-XC, conneced with the balanced cable. To my ears the lows are awesome and go as deep as I can hear/feel them, the highs are accurate, smooth without being harsh. The mids are spot on, male and female voices just feel natural.

I also have a Heed CanAmp and had a Burson Soloist. Compared with the Heed, the V280 has a much more natural presentation and feels more effortless. The Heed also emits some noise when my TV set is on, which doesn't happen with the V280. I can't compare it with the Burson as I had a different headphones when I had it.

I'm not thinking on any further upgrade any time soon!

Nov 4, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #50 of 1,098
The first of the best moments. 
evil_smiley.gif

Now onto the impressions. Looking forward to them. 

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #52 of 1,098
you mean vs. HE-6 on the speakertaps of the PM5005?

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #56 of 1,098
Thanks!

I didn't need the preamp function, with HD800s in balance mode, wonder is it worth of spend extra money for 281?

Found you asked the same question in the v281 thread, very helpfull.

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #57 of 1,098
  Thanks!

I didn't need the preamp function, with HD800s in balance mode, wonder is it worth of spend extra money for 281?

Found you asked the same question in the v281 thread, very helpfull.

I personally went with the V281 as I'm lucky enough to have a local hifi store that has them for demo. Would've loved to A/B the V281 against the V280 to know if they indeed had any difference but unfortunately, the V280 is pretty new to the market and my local store has yet to have them for sale/demo.

As for sonic differences, there's one member who claimed that the V281 has more space and air compared to the V280 while another claimed to have spoken with Fried(Lake People/Violectric's CEO) that the two are identical in sound.

Regardless, at these price points, it is imperative that you follow what your ears tell you(and how much your budget allows you to spend). I make it a point that any audio related purchase past $1,000.00 should be verified personally as every single one of us have different hearing ability and sonic preferences. 

Good luck!

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #58 of 1,098
I am one of those who noticed slightly more air and space. The grand soundstage is one of the best traits of the V281, aside from the iron grip and tonality. Truly amazing with the HD800SD and also 800S. Still the V280 is a very good amp in staging and definition of space, with plenty of overhead and grip. The difference is rather tonality related than lack of drive or power.

The transparent top version of the V280 (for demo purposes) is designwise still my favorite out of all their amps. 
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 19, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #60 of 1,098
Based on violectric's website, v281 is " 4 amplifiers for true balanced headphone output"  and v280 is "4 amplifiers with V200 technology".  Does it mean v280 isn't  true balanced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back