Violectric DHA V590 DAC/AMP - Blue Velvet
Nov 22, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #286 of 738
DAC: RME ADI-2, Matrix Element X
Amp: Bryston BHA-1, GS-X Mini

I haven't heard the Element X or the GS-X Mini, so I can't comment on those.

RME ADI-2 - I really love the features of this thing, and it also sounds very good by itself even without any EQ etc. It's a bit sharper and more "precise" sounding, more treble energy, smaller and more focused soundstage. The V590 DAC is more organic, has less treble extension or at least not as spot lit up there, and has a bit more tonal saturation and richness (particularly in the midrange). Soundstage is quite a big larger which becomes particularly obvious with speakers, but also some headphones can showcase this aspect. I'd say they are roughly on par but each having a different focus - I could assemble different rigs where either one would be a better fit.

Bryston BHA-1 - solid amp if a bit bland or uninspiring for my tastes. I vastly prefer the V590 amp section... it's on a whole different level. Bigger, bolder, more detail, superior technicalities, it's just better in pretty much every category. As I suppose it should be considering the price difference involved.

Curious to know a comparison with a GSX Mini as well - and the Moon 430HA. I currently have both

I don't particularly enjoy the amp section in the 430HA - HERE is my old review to discuss why. I would take the Violectric eleven times out of ten.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #288 of 738
YMMV, but I can say I prefer the GSX-Mini to the V281, so that might transfer over to the V590 as well. I found the older Violectric a touch dark.

Agreed as I had both here as well (GSX Mini is still here). A touch dark is what I found as well on the V281 and the GSX Mini also had a lower noise floor.

I am wondering if the new 590 improved on things.

Nov 23, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #289 of 738
Agreed as I had both here as well (GSX Mini is still here). A touch dark is what I found as well on the V281 and the GSX Mini also had a lower noise floor.

I am wondering if the new 590 improved on things.
As Project called the v590 a touch more neutral, they might be similar. I would be surprised if it was really better. It does seem like a killer all in one.

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #290 of 738
Having not heard the GSX Mini, I will say the V590 amp is very competitive with the GSX MK2. The GSX is faster, brighter, more lit up in the upper mids, and has a lighter tonality. V590 amp section is thicker, weightier, much more controlled in the upper mids/treble (but not dark!), and surprisingly has superior imaging/soundstage. So very different presentations but both among the very best examples of their type.

I don't know where the Mini fits in though.

Also V590 will get the Black Friday treatment from 11/27 to 12/2, priced at $3150 with the standard volume. That's $350 off the regular price so definitely a great time to buy if anyone was interested. Lots of other Violectric discounts available then as well.

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #291 of 738
Having not heard the GSX Mini, I will say the V590 amp is very competitive with the GSX MK2. The GSX is faster, brighter, more lit up in the upper mids, and has a lighter tonality. V590 amp section is thicker, weightier, much more controlled in the upper mids/treble (but not dark!), and surprisingly has superior imaging/soundstage. So very different presentations but both among the very best examples of their type.

I don't know where the Mini fits in though.

Also V590 will get the Black Friday treatment from 11/27 to 12/2, priced at $3150 with the standard volume. That's $350 off the regular price so definitely a great time to buy if anyone was interested. Lots of other Violectric discounts available then as well.

Some will say the Mini is perhaps a better version of the GSX MK2. It benefits from improved power supply, is less bright, and has added a little additional weight

Nov 26, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #292 of 738
At the moment I’m testing a V590 in my house. My headphone is a Hifiman HE1000 V2. Compared to my Hugo 2 the Violectric seems to drive the HE1000 V2 much more easily. Further I notice that I can raise the volume higher without feeling the need to turn it back.
is the difference big between both as to me hugo 2 was a lame combo with he1000v2, if the difference between both is small I will be very very surprised. As I expect 590 to be on a whole different level than the hugo2 especially with he1000

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #293 of 738
is the difference big between both as to me hugo 2 was a lame combo with he1000v2, if the difference between both is small I will be very very surprised. As I expect 590 to be on a whole different level than the hugo2 especially with he1000
The last interesting article Inner Fidelity did before they went defunct is compare how the Hugo 2 sounded with its built in amp vs connected to an external amp, and, without fail, they felt it was better connected to a better amp. With something like the HE1000, I can imagine an amp like the 590 paying dividends.

Nov 27, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #294 of 738
i am considering the 590, is there any difference in sound quality between the pro and regular version that is worth to spend the extra cash on, as for I would only do that if there is a notable sound quality difference, I do not care about volume knobs or so on to spend money on that. But if there is a difference then by all means

Nov 27, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #295 of 738
Has anybody hear both the Meier Audio Corda Soul and the v590? They're pretty much in the same price bracket.

RME ADI-2 -...I'd say they are roughly on par but each having a different focus - I could assemble different rigs where either one would be a better fit.

You're talking about the RME as "all in one" unit?

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #296 of 738
i am considering the 590, is there any difference in sound quality between the pro and regular version that is worth to spend the extra cash on, as for I would only do that if there is a notable sound quality difference, I do not care about volume knobs or so on to spend money on that. But if there is a difference then by all means

I haven't tried the V590 regular and Pro version back to back. But I did that comparison with the V281 and the difference was not massive. I could hear the improvement, but I'm not sure it was worth the price. Now keep in mind the V590 uses a newer design based on reed relays - combined with the amp section being more resolving than V281, the difference could be more obvious here... but I'm not positive.

Also worth noting - Black Friday sale in effect right now, so the Pro version would only end up being $250 more than the regular pricing for the regular version. I realize that's a serious bit of mental gymnastics but it may help. Or just snag the regular version for the discounted price and be happy.

Has anybody hear both the Meier Audio Corda Soul and the v590? They're pretty much in the same price bracket.

You're talking about the RME as "all in one" unit?

I believe Lake People is building the Corda Soul for Meier Audio (Jan Meier obviously designed it though), so there are similarities in terms of looks (and price, since you mentioned it). The sound is likely quite different though. Personally I think the Soul is only interesting if you have need for all the adjustments. It's something I would cross shop if I was in the market for an SPL headphone amp. Beyond that, I don't think either Meier or SPL would be competitive in pure amplification quality. But I'm speculating as I haven't heard the Soul (seems not many have).

And no, I was strictly comparing the RME DAC portion to the V590 DAC. Imho the RME is "mostly" a DAC, while the V590 is truly balanced between DAC and amp. The amp section of the V590 completely leaves RME in the dust.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #297 of 738

I found the difference too small to buy the 590. I don’t think the Hugo 2 is a lame combo with the HE1000v2, but that’s just my personal opinion. I can’t hear what you are hearing. Nevertheless I’m very curious to read what other people think of the difference between the two devices with a HE1000v2.

Nov 28, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #298 of 738
I found the difference too small to buy the 590. I don’t think the Hugo 2 is a lame combo with the HE1000v2, but that’s just my personal opinion. I can’t hear what you are hearing. Nevertheless I’m very curious to read what other people think of the difference between the two devices with a HE1000v2.
it was simply feeling that the sound was lean and thin on he1000v2 using hugo 2, compared to my hugo tt2,

the bass was lacking, mids where thin, lacked fullness and body and soundstage was not as wide when I used hugo2 compared to hugo tt2. Hugo 2 simply did not push he1000v2 to full performance, and if you mention that the 590 and hugo 2 difference is small, then I have to rethink 590

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #299 of 738
Hugo 2 is softer, thinner and more lit up up top vs. the V590. More forward too with the "in your face" wall of detail and "detail". Eggshaped Hifiman headphones love good, clean power with bass presence, heft, slam and generally a stronger fundament down low (not meaning a boost). V590 gives them that and a slightly enhanced lower mid.

Or you could go Qutest + V550. Gets you galvanic isolation on the USB and do away with the amp part which is nothing special.

I still prefer the V590 as a whole (and its DAC too) and would always take it over the Hugo 2 even though the price difference is substantial. The DAC part is very well done.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #300 of 738
Hello, I'm new here. I am very interested in the HDA V590 / V380 and I find it funny that I (from Germany) get more information about the new Violectric V590/V380 on this international platform than at home.

I am a little surprised that the V590 / V380 is never mentioned together with the Questyle 12 Master. In my estimation, the two devices are definitely on a similar level

or is that a misjudgment of mine?

What do you think, is it still worth looking at the Questyle, or is the new HPA more suitable? I mainly want to operate a Mr. Speakers Ether2 and an SRM T1 on the Mac.

The main thing for me is the choice between HPA V380 (which has a similar internal structure to the 590) and the 12 Master from Questyle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back