Violectric DHA V590 DAC/AMP - Blue Velvet
Jul 27, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #151 of 738
All the good tube amps (EC, DNA etc) are US based so also a matter of support, tax etc.

One of them is retiring unfortunately. You could get one of the last EC amps until they close shop. They offer special goodbye deals but most of the stuff is gone already @Empyah (german based or based German?) got an EC Studio Jr and he's either going for the V5XX or US4+ for his SS love.

Where are you located?

V281 has reached EOL so a dacless version is naturally inevitable. Expecting October or November.

Which DAC are you using right now?

I am actually either portables or speakers person, and never really considered going for a stationary headphone setup until now. But now entering the planar era with D8000 Pro, decided to go for one. So my HPs are D8000 Pro, Denon D9200 and occasionally HD800 (normally used by my wife for studio work). Just to give an idea: I find the Utopia too mid forward and upper mid aggressive in general. For speakers I have a HEDD Tower Mains + oppo 205 setup and I am very satisfied with it - so the oppo 205 serves as a DAC at the moment. I might get a dedicated DAC in the future but that is for later (also my two portables Hiby R8 and DX220MAX).

I don't want to be collecting and buying/selling equipment in this price range too often, so wanted to get something that I will be satisfied with for a long time. As speakers, I am always inclined to studio monitors with dead neutral signature (though both D9200 with its U signature and D8000 Pro might be a bit on the fun side of the spectrum).

I am located in Berlin / Germany.

Jul 27, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #152 of 738
I am actually either portables or speakers person, and never really considered going for a stationary headphone setup until now. But now entering the planar era with D8000 Pro, decided to go for one. So my HPs are D8000 Pro, Denon D9200 and occasionally HD800 (normally used by my wife for studio work). Just to give an idea: I find the Utopia too mid forward and upper mid aggressive in general. For speakers I have a HEDD Tower Mains + oppo 205 setup and I am very satisfied with it - so the oppo 205 serves as a DAC at the moment. I might get a dedicated DAC in the future but that is for later (also my two portables Hiby R8 and DX220MAX).

I don't want to be collecting and buying/selling equipment in this price range too often, so wanted to get something that I will be satisfied with for a long time. As speakers, I am always inclined to studio monitors with dead neutral signature (though both D9200 with its U signature and D8000 Pro might be a bit on the fun side of the spectrum).

I am located in Berlin / Germany.
Since you’re in Germany there’s always the option to reach out to Lake People and take a road trip to Konstanz to get a listen to the V590 and US4+ in person. If/when Americans are able to travel to Europe again(!) I’d really like to go there myself. Fried Reim is a great guy to talk audio component design with as well. As for longevity, I and many others can definitely confirm that Violectric/Niimbus products are built to last a lifetime and are great amps to build a headphone collection around.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #153 of 738
Yeah, Bodensee is immensely beautiful.

Very worth it to be there for a few days or weeks and of course visit LP to have a good listen.

Wanted to go there too during the summer holidays but i'm stuck between two other locations and I have to write a 15 page essay before the second trip starts.

About "gewaltfreie Kommunikation" etc.

I would prefer to hook up my headphone setup, have the professor listen to it for an hour and then she would understand how music is the ultimate expression of "gewaltfreie Kommunikation".

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #154 of 738
While I have no reservations about recommending the Niimbus US4+ (and you would no doubt love what you hear!) it seems prudent to wait until Violectric releases their next-gen dedicated amp based on V590. It should be just around the corner.

And since you are fairly local, it also seems very feasible to try them both out in person, either via some local dealer or a trip to Lake People HQ. Then decide for yourself. Nothing I can say to describe the sound will come remotely close to replicating this experience.

Side note - I really like your quest for purchasing "long haul" gear that you can enjoy well into the future. I think that's an approach many people overlook as they keep switching to the latest/greatest gadgets. I'm guilty of it myself but I like to think it comes with the "reviewer" gig, and that if I was just listening for fun I'd only swap things out every 5-10 years. If that's the case, all the more reason to choose wisely in the first place.

Jul 27, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #155 of 738
Yeah, Bodensee is immensely beautiful.

Very worth it to be there for a few days or weeks and of course visit LP to have a good listen.

Wanted to go there too during the summer holidays but i'm stuck between two other locations and have to write a 15 page essay before the second trip starts.

About "gewaltfreie Kommunikation" etc.

I would prefer to hook up my headphone setup, have the professor listen to it for an hour and then she would understand how music is the ultimate expression "gewaltfreie Kommunikation".

Bodensee: I know! I am working as a freelancer and I had a project down there a couple of years ago as we were living in Nürnberg and it was absolutely fantastic. Then took some time off, brought our bikes and rode through the small towns / villages around the lake. I miss it now... Still avoiding long distance trips on trains / planes, though, due to covid.

I will stay with the decision between V5XX and US4(+). Looks like "Hifi im Hinterhof" in Berlin has Niimbus and Violectric products. I will visit them after I receive my D8000 Pro, which is like next week and/or after we know more about the V590 based dedicated amp.

Thank you all!

Side note - I really like your quest for purchasing "long haul" gear that you can enjoy well into the future. I think that's an approach many people overlook as they keep switching to the latest/greatest gadgets. I'm guilty of it myself but I like to think it comes with the "reviewer" gig, and that if I was just listening for fun I'd only swap things out every 5-10 years. If that's the case, all the more reason to choose wisely in the first place.

I have been down that hole hunting (didn't we all) portables, IEMs, HPs etc. Though "new toy" joy is momentarily fun, a few days later the itch come back! :)

Jul 27, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #156 of 738
So you have pre-ordered one? Can't wait to see your impressions and comparison:)
Sorry for the delay on responding, I didn't get the notification and just saw this browsing the thread. Yes, I absolutely pre-ordered one. In fact, I was told I placed the first order lol:laughing: . I will post my initial impressions when it comes in. Maybe after some "break in" time I will try to compare it with my Benchmark HPA4 and Phonitor XE

Jul 27, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #158 of 738
Currently I have the V281 and a Soekris 1541. I'm interested in sliding my listening experience closer towards neutral, however my DAC does compensate for the V281 warmth.

I typically use a Diana V2, Verité, or Clear.

I'm extremely on the fence with the V590, but I'm not sure if losing my existing combo is worth it. I'm also tempted to wait for a possible refreshed Soekris line and the next amp only V281 successor.

Any opinions?

Jul 28, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #159 of 738
Currently I have the V281 and a Soekris 1541. I'm interested in sliding my listening experience closer towards neutral, however my DAC does compensate for the V281 warmth.

I typically use a Diana V2, Verité, or Clear.

I'm extremely on the fence with the V590, but I'm not sure if losing my existing combo is worth it. I'm also tempted to wait for a possible refreshed Soekris line and the next amp only V281 successor.

Any opinions?

I'm also running DAC1541, but through an EC Black Widow 2 where the DAC1541 does balance the warmth of the BW nicely. Sounds somewhat similar to your scenario, except BW2 is likely even warmer. My concern is the V590 may be a sidegrade at best to the Soekris.

I'm hearing vague hints of new stuff coming from Soren, but I've seen nothing credible so I have no idea what's really happening there.

FWIW I know the DAC15451 amp is lacking, but how does it sit tonally with you as a shift to neutral vs V281? Especially with the Clear? I run HD600 which BW2 was tuned for, but I take direct out of DAC1541 to Genelec 8030's which can be a bit sibilant which would be like the Clear.

Jul 28, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #160 of 738
Sorry for the delay on responding, I didn't get the notification and just saw this browsing the thread. Yes, I absolutely pre-ordered one. In fact, I was told I placed the first order lol:laughing: . I will post my initial impressions when it comes in. Maybe after some "break in" time I will try to compare it with my Benchmark HPA4 and Phonitor XE

I would be very interested in those comparisons.

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #161 of 738
@Fegefeuer thanks for your comments vs Liquid Crimson, that really does help. I'm curious if there's a DAC that seems similar to the V590 so we can get a relative impression?
I can't say anything about the V590 (DAC) yet. After summer maybe.

For now others have to chime in. @project86 and a few of those who preordered.
I could ask a friend to borrow his 1541 but he ripped out the PSU and built his own with the same size as the DAC itself. I don't think that's a helpful reference point for you guys but it surely looks crazy and is very much worth it according to him.

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #162 of 738
The DAC section of the V590 is pretty unique - I've not heard anything that I'd say is really similar. I do hear shades of the Yulong DA10, which happens to also be AKM-based. Both have a bit of similar midrange sweetness, just a touch, that I find really engaging.

Aside from that the V590 DAC feels a little smoother which could be heard as more relaxing/non-fatiguing or else less detailed/precise depending on your viewpoint. Not to say V590 DAC is slow or murky or anything, just the overall presentation is a very liquid well controlled.

Jul 28, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #163 of 738
That’s a nice solid state amp collection right there. I’ve owned the Benchmark, Phonitor 2 and the V281. I’d probably take the V590 over all of those but it’s much better to not have to pick at all!
I’d be very curious to hear your impressions of the V590 dac fronting the Benchmark amp in particular. The sound signatures of those units are so different and the HPA-4 is so transparent, I imagine that combo would give a good sense of what the V590’s dac section is bringing to the table on it’s own. I heard the V590 dac w/a Niimbus amp and it sounded great, if not quite endgame-caliber, but obviously those amps have the same dna, unlike Benchmark/Violectric. Does the high quality and character of the V590’s sound depend upon the synergetic engineering btwn amp & dac working in concert, or can you mix and match the different sections with other high quality components and get some nice variations on the robust, warm Violectric sound?

Jul 29, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #164 of 738
That’s a nice solid state amp collection right there. I’ve owned the Benchmark, Phonitor 2 and the V281. I’d probably take the V590 over all of those but it’s much better to not have to pick at all!
I’d be very curious to hear your impressions of the V590 dac fronting the Benchmark amp in particular. The sound signatures of those units are so different and the HPA-4 is so transparent, I imagine that combo would give a good sense of what the V590’s dac section is bringing to the table on it’s own. I heard the V590 dac w/a Niimbus amp and it sounded great, if not quite endgame-caliber, but obviously those amps have the same dna, unlike Benchmark/Violectric. Does the high quality and character of the V590’s sound depend upon the synergetic engineering btwn amp & dac working in concert, or can you mix and match the different sections with other high quality components and get some nice variations on the robust, warm Violectric sound?
The Niimbus amp not endgame caliber? That's interesting. Do you think it was the V590 DAC holding it back, or the Niimbus amp itself?
I can definitely mix and match any combination of equipment that I have. It will be interesting to see how it pairs with the Benchmark and the SPL Phonitor XE, since both are considered to be very detailed and neutral. While I am sure there is synergy between the DAC and AMP parts of the V590, which is the same thing as synergy between a DAC and AMP separate from the same company, I do think the DAC of the V590 will be very impressive based on what I have read on this thread so far. Hopefully that will hold true or months of non-patiently waiting for the V590 to ship will be wasted :sob::sob: lol.

Jul 29, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #165 of 738
The Niimbus amp not endgame caliber? That's interesting. Do you think it was the V590 DAC holding it back, or the Niimbus amp itself?
I can definitely mix and match any combination of equipment that I have. It will be interesting to see how it pairs with the Benchmark and the SPL Phonitor XE, since both are considered to be very detailed and neutral. While I am sure there is synergy between the DAC and AMP parts of the V590, which is the same thing as synergy between a DAC and AMP separate from the same company, I do think the DAC of the V590 will be very impressive based on what I have read on this thread so far. Hopefully that will hold true or months of non-patiently waiting for the V590 to ship will be wasted :sob::sob: lol.
I was afraid I was kind of unclear! No, the Niimbus is definitely endgame in my book, (famous last words for every audiophile of course), it’s more the V590 dac as a pairing with it that I was saying could be improved upon. The Niimbus is revealing but so enjoyable to listen to that I couldn’t see being unhappy with it as long as the source is halfway decent, but I (for example) upgraded my dac as soon as I could after getting it because I wanted to maximize its potential. Anyway, I digress. I look forward to your impressions. I think you’re in for a treat especially coming from those more clinical/studio-tuned amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back