Violectric DHA V590 DAC/AMP - Blue Velvet
Aug 11, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #181 of 738
Well, V281 successor technically exists so naturally there will also be a dedicated amp. I don't know when and I am still guessing autum. However autumn is near and we have no confirmation. We're in the middle of the holidays now in Bavaria so news will be very slow.

If you're from the US I'd really think about the ongoing deal with grabbing the reed relais for the same price as the RK27 version. A standalone V5XX with reed relais is now very close prise-wise. Might as well grab a great DAC along with it too.

However I understand if people want to have one DAC only or want a "pure" amp.

Edit: ok, you're from Russia, so forget about the deal. :slight_frown:
Pretty sure that deal is ended now. IIRC is was 'til the 7th.

Aug 11, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #182 of 738
you're right, just checked Arthur's page. :zipper_mouth:

Aug 11, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #183 of 738
However I understand if people want to have one DAC only or want a "pure" amp.
Well, ideally the DAC should be Roon Ready and supporting the mqa format (just in case...))

Aug 11, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #184 of 738
MQA

vN6biZB.gif

Aug 11, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #185 of 738
Verité is technically and tonally very impressive, however pairing is a difficult thing as high dampening and 0 Ohm output shortens the decay a bit. It becomes more of a technical than romantic showcase but of course it doesn't get polished away and what remains adds to the fine tuning that allows both easier listening and then at the same time battering, getting up and going. It's just a highly capable headphone that never sleeps. Its timbre reminds me a bit of the Fostex family of headphones, just better tuned and much faster, more impressive on transients. Micro- and macrodynamics are outstanding. Only nitpick is that the bass is not as controlled as the HE-6 or let's say how I prefer it. That's nitpicky though.

Firstly, congrats on your V590! :) It is interesting how people hear differently. I had the TH900, Verite and now the D9200 and Fostex family of HPs would be the last ones on my list that would remind me the Verite. I actually preferred the tuning of Stellia, and traded the Verite for PM-1 + €$, which was for me more portable (I used to travel a lot) and I loved the low mids clearity of PM-1.

I am still waiting for my D8000 Pro to arrive and will start the audition tours as soon as it arrives.

Aug 12, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #186 of 738
I've been listening to the v590 with the JAR 650 yesterday and been doing the wrong thing with switching between DACs from time to time instead of just letting it flow for a good while. I've been noticing something very interesting though:

The Bifrost 2 image is bigger but in a slightly zoomed way. Every instrument is actually noticably bigger in presence and the stage is thus more forward, more front row. The V590 DAC is less crowded here and you take a few rows back. That was a very interesting to notice.

Firstly, congrats on your V590! :) It is interesting how people hear differently. I had the TH900, Verite and now the D9200 and Fostex family of HPs would be the last ones on my list that would remind me the Verite. I actually preferred the tuning of Stellia, and traded the Verite for PM-1 + €$, which was for me more portable (I used to travel a lot) and I loved the low mids clearity of PM-1.

I am still waiting for my D8000 Pro to arrive and will start the audition tours as soon as it arrives.

oh, to me it's just a timbre and sounding thing that is somewhat reminding me of the japanese headphones I had.

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #187 of 738
I've been listening to the v590 with the JAR 650 yesterday and been doing the wrong thing with switching between DACs from time to time instead of just letting it flow for a good while. I've been noticing something very interesting though:

The Bifrost 2 image is bigger but in a slightly zoomed way. Every instrument is actually noticably bigger in presence and the stage is thus more forward, more front row. The V590 DAC is less crowded here and you take a few rows back. That was a very interesting to notice.

oh, to me it's just a timbre and sounding thing that is somewhat reminding me of the japanese headphones I had.
Interesting report! I actually found the V281 to have similar properties in terms of having that “few rows back” sound when comparing it to other amps, but of course this could be tweaked some depending on dac pairings. I think Fried favors dynamics over detail for the Violectric series.

The Gumby had a lot of immediacy too if I recall correctly—seems to be a signature of the Schiit sound when they’re not using the AKM chips. It would be an interesting comparison to hear the balanced dac on the Jotunheim with the V590 amp and vice versa, since they both use the same AKM 4490 chip set.

Aug 12, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #188 of 738
I've owned the GumBy for a good while. It's definitely more aggressive than the Bifrost 2 and a bit stronger in macrodynamic swings. It's overall cooler in tonality or less glowing/colorful and transients stand out more, it might be a slightly exaggerated effect with them but it definitely added to the spacing factor when comparing soundstage and headstage.

Yggdrasil is even LESS front row. I personally only had the A1 for a while and it was similar to my GumBy.

Edit: I meant Yggdrasil is less front row, meaning a bit back from the happening than even the Gungnir MB B.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #189 of 738
@Fegefeuer, do you have the Pro-Version of the v590? if so, what are your Impressions and is the 256 Step Relais Volume-Control that much better and worth to spend the extra Money? did you use it as a preamp for aktiv speakers? (i want to use it mostly for my aktiv speakers and do not know which version i should choose. would you recommend the 256 Step Relais Version and what would be the advantages of this?) Thanks for any help😉👍

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #190 of 738
Volume control is very important. The reed relais is perfectly linear no matter at what position, it's the most transparent and detailed solution. Was the same with the V281 only that the new generation of LP's relais is quite superior.

Yes, the upgrade cost is not easy to stomach, it's a whole new headphone or even 2 but still absolutely worth it.

btw: the volume control of my Cavalli is crapping out, it annoyed me to no end these days. I'm looking to have it upgraded. It only got 5 years old. Touching it vs. using the V590 is a universe of difference. I love the Cavalli though, such a gem. Hopefully I have good options for it.

Aug 15, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #192 of 738
I do but they are no Geithain. I am using KRK RP5 4.

Aug 15, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #193 of 738
That is also pretty much my plan, to use the V590 / US4+ for my active speakers (HEDD Tower Mains) in addition to my HPs. If any of the other family members (Niimbus or Violectric) perform good as a preamp, I would expect V590 also perform as good.

Aug 15, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #194 of 738
I've had the KH120A on the V281 for a good while. Was a good run. I don't know why I sold them, was a bad move. (I do but that would a reference to my name)

@Pharmaboy ist the one to talk to with various preamp configurations and cabling, setups etc. as I recall him using 2341 different speaker pairs at the same time.

Aug 15, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #195 of 738
That is also pretty much my plan, to use the V590 / US4+ for my active speakers (HEDD Tower Mains) in addition to my HPs. If any of the other family members (Niimbus or Violectric) perform good as a preamp, I would expect V590 also perform as good.
I'm very satisfied with the V281 and my little Genelec 8331's, FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back