Violectric DHA V590 DAC/AMP - Blue Velvet
Aug 20, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #196 of 738
[/QUOTE]
Hey, I haven't gotten mine yet but it should be here any day
Got the V590 this morning finally.

20200810_143120.jpg
There is a long way to go for individual impressions of headphones and DAC pairings as I am unfortunately still occupied with a lot of stuff like education/training etc. but I will give you a good insight into this amp over the next weeks, months. I will probably post it in streams of consciousness.

I am so jealous! Mine has not gotten here yet, but soon hopefully! MY first question is how does that Relay controlled volume knob feel? It is super smoother, or does it have little "clicks" that you can feel when using it? I will also be waiting for some more impression until mine gets here. Congrats on finally getting one!

Aug 20, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #197 of 738
Has yours been shipped yet?

The normal version has steps that you instantly feel, this here not but there's still a tactile feel when moving it, just not stepped. It's not smooth or "fast" like the Crimson, it feels heavier and slower while you can still move it fast if that makes any sense. Of course there's also the psychological effect involved. It's definitely another world both in physical feel, ergonomics and of course electronics.

My Crimson has been shipped away for a volume control change (do not have a list of options yet) as the standard one is bugging out. I still love it but it's kinda infuriating how this can happen unless the previous owner played DJ with it which I strongly doubt because he packaged it like a nuclear bomb and was very fond of it and it also looked that way.

Volume controls are more important to the sound that we'd want to believe. I'm not only saying this in favor of the focus on volume controls that Fried puts onto but also from a DIY friend who swears by not cheaping out there. He built his own Pass Labs XA25, HPA-1, F7, Autoformers etc... (yes, that's where the Cavalli will go to)

Aug 20, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #198 of 738
Yeah it was shipped on Friday, but it sat overseas until Monday or Tuesday, it says it should have come yesterday, then today, now it says tomorrow. Lol, so who knows when it is coming. I was hoping for the stepped feeling from the upgraded volume control, but oh well! I will use the remote more anyways.

Aug 20, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #199 of 738
Hm, seems to be a very personal choice. I remember one guy who changed the V281 pot to a total stepless normal one because he wanted it as smooth as possible. It looked kinda dumb though as it was from another amp and much smaller.

Hopefully you will get it before the weekend and be able to take your time with it. Waht headphones will you be running with them?

Aug 20, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #200 of 738
Hm, seems to be a very personal choice. I remember one guy who changed the V281 pot to a total stepless normal one because he wanted it as smooth as possible. It looked kinda dumb though as it was from another amp and much smaller.

Hopefully you will get it before the weekend and be able to take your time with it. Waht headphones will you be running with them?
F*CK! UPS tracking says it was delivered this morning but as I just got home there was no package! I hope their tracking is wrong. They are only supposed to deliver stuff to me when I am there and I can sign for it! yet they never once have. ARRRGH! Now I have to go figure this out.

Anyway, yeah, I was hoping to have it delivered to me by this weekend. I was going to use my LCD-3 with them. I also have a LCD-4 I am borrowing and a pair of focal utopias coming tomorrow. Figured that was a good a range to use along with my HD6xx, Ether 2 and Empyreans to test this unit with it showed up...

Aug 20, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #201 of 738
That's a very nice collection of headphones. What will you be comparing the V590 with?

Aug 20, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #202 of 738
F*CK! UPS tracking says it was delivered this morning but as I just got home there was no package! I hope their tracking is wrong. They are only supposed to deliver stuff to me when I am there and I can sign for it! yet they never once have. ARRRGH! Now I have to go figure this out.

Anyway, yeah, I was hoping to have it delivered to me by this weekend. I was going to use my LCD-3 with them. I also have a LCD-4 I am borrowing and a pair of focal utopias coming tomorrow. Figured that was a good a range to use along with my HD6xx, Ether 2 and Empyreans to test this unit with it showed up...
That’s a nice rotation you’ve got going there! Good luck giving those LCD-4s back once you start listening to them with the V590. The Utopias should also sound fantastic. Don’t listen to them right after the LCD4 though. Mine always sound real thin coming from those beastly planars

Aug 20, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #203 of 738
That's a very nice collection of headphones. What will you be comparing the V590 with?
Thank you. The other amps I own are the SPL Phonior XE with DAC768, The Cayin IHA-6 and DAC-6 mk2 stack, and the Benchmark DAC3L and HPA4 stack. So, I will compare the V590 against them when I get it.

That’s a nice rotation you’ve got going there! Good luck giving those LCD-4s back once you start listening to them with the V590. The Utopias should also sound fantastic. Don’t listen to them right after the LCD4 though. Mine always sound real thin coming from those beastly planars
Thanks! Oh I know its going to be hard giving back the LCD-4, but the Meze Empyrean is surprisingly similar. I love my LCD-3 though. I am never giving those up.

Aug 21, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #204 of 738
Excellent, that's a nice list of gear to compare with.

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #205 of 738
This week my D8000 Pro arrived and I am ready for the listening tours!!! Targets for the next week are V590 /US4 and T+A HA200 (for which I also received a good deal from a dealer). I will report back if I have the chance to compare.

Aug 21, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #206 of 738
I missed my V281, but this finally arrived.

Looking to enjoy it with a Diana V2, Verité (O), and Clears. I still have a Soekris 1541 and a BF2, but that will see action later.

1598053032553.png
1598053134246.png

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #207 of 738
This week my D8000 Pro arrived and I am ready for the listening tours!!! Targets for the next week are V590 /US4 and T+A HA200 (for which I also received a good deal from a dealer). I will report back if I have the chance to compare.

A comparison between the V590 and the T+A HA200 would be awesome. I am really interested in it. It seems like it would be, or is, an amazing product. I love the meters on that thing (makes my ADHD happy) along with the matching colored display. It is obviously going for a more polished look than the industrial style of the Vioelectric V590 and I love both. It will be really interesting to hear how similar or different they sound.

Aug 22, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #208 of 738
A comparison between the V590 and the T+A HA200 would be awesome. I am really interested in it. It seems like it would be, or is, an amazing product. I love the meters on that thing (makes my ADHD happy) along with the matching coloured display. It is obviously going for a more polished look than the industrial style of the Vioelectric V590 and I love both. It will be really interesting to hear how similar or different they sound.

This week I was about to pull the trigger for HA200 but fortunately black was not available in the stocks and that helped me to hold myself before I do anything silly. :) I am actually more interested in an analog only device, so V590 is for me to get a feeling for what will come in that family, whcih is also why I am hesitant with HA200. Also HA200 does not have an _official_ pre output, but T+A told me that the XLR HP output can be used as pre-out and they officially sell (a cheap looking but €97) cable for that purpose.

On the paper, both LP and T+A devices have interesting features, and what I like practical with LP is the adjustable gains, and with the HA200 is the adjustable output impedance / damping factor which varies from 8 to 80 ohms. But for IEMs that 8 ohms output impedance will probably ruin the sound of a hybrid IEM.

Someone that tried both US4+ and HA200 told me that HA200 might match my HPs better, but do I want an all-in-one device? Not sure. I was also considering the HPA4 and also got a good offer for it, but as I understand it might not be the best match for my HPs. I can't hear it anywhere here, so I am also hesitant to order without hearing it.

The D8000P is something that I could build around. I will probably never buy anything like Abyss or LCD4 due to weight, and I didn't have the wow factor I had with D8000P from any Hifiman HPs (though didn't try the Susvara). This could also be due to my (lack of) hearing. :) I do value good clear bass a lot, and D8000P has it spot on. Does everything I throw at it well, and there is nothing artificial in the sound. So I reached the endgame status on the open back front.

Tone shaping of HA200 is what makes it interesting for me. I could only find a Korean site only that has a detailed review of it (https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ko&tl=en&u=http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=luric&logNo=222036325514).

Like many others here, I am very interested in hearing how V590 (family) sounds compared to Niimbus devices. So let the impressions floooow! :)

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #210 of 738
@AnimalOnDrums, did you get your V590 ?
I'm quite anxious to see your feedback on how it sounds with a bunch of pretty awesome amps and headphones you were going to test it with :)
I did finally get it! It came just earlier this week. It's a long story involving the original one getting lost/stolen from UPS. I will tell maybe later tonight or tomorrow. First impressions are that thing is just as amazing as I hoped. It has everything you would want from a solid state amplifier and/or a DAC. Yesterday I did go back and forth a bit with the Benchmark HPA4 and DAC3L using my Empyreans and the two things I immediately noticed is that the V590 has a warmer and smoother sound that I thoroughly enjoy. It also has a wider soundstage for the vocals making them sound not as in your face as the HPA4. This is not a huge difference, but it was noticeable. It has plenty of power. I can't go any louder than 11 o'clock with my LCD-3 and 10 o'clock using my Empyreans. The volume control starts at 7 o'clock, so I am not using any of its power. I am going to adjust the pre-gain settings on the back to give myself more volume adjustment range. I got the Pro model that comes with the relay controlled volume and was surprised that it is completely smooth. Its really nice though and works perfectly with the remote control. I haven't experimented with the oversampling options on the DAC, but a difference is heard between them, so I will have to figure out which one I use (if any) or if I let Roon do my oversampling. Lots to mess wit hand figure out but I will get there soon and do some comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back