Violectric DAC V850 - General Discussion and Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #466 of 588
Oh I forgot to mention as well, I am planning on getting the RS05 with femto clock option before the year ends (hopefully), forgot to mention this earlier. Not sure if this helps though.

If you connect RS05 with RS06 you need to turn the resampling off in RS06, because you want the clock from RS05 (I am sure, you know about this :).

Aug 8, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #467 of 588
But this is another story. The best interface to connect RS05 and RS06 is AES/EBU.

I agree. I would work towards a better transport to avoid USB at all. I'd personally build a system around the PI2AES
Have a DigiOne already though so I'm set for the sessions when I'm off PC.

Aug 8, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #468 of 588
I agree. I would work towards a better transport to avoid USB at all. I'd personally build a system around the PI2AES
Have a DigiOne already though so I'm set for the sessions when I'm off PC.

Well, I use the similar thing. One is the macbook with RME Digiface USB to work from PC (cool thing to make correct mixdown from 5.1 for movies).
Another is Hidizs AP100 (no PC). Both are connected to RS05, and then the signal is coming to V800 (RS06, V850, choose the right one).
PC connected to RS05 via TOSLINK, and Hidizs connected via S/PDIF. Both sources sound equally because they are isolated in RS05.

Aug 8, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #469 of 588
Yeah, the RS05 offers a lot of new possibilites.
If I had the RS05 I'd test

PC -> AES -> RS05 -> AES -> RS06
PC -> AES -> RS05 -> Coax -> Gungnir Multibit
PC -> AES -> impedance converter AES/Coax -> RS06
PC -> AES -> impedance converter AES/Coax-> Gungnir Multibit

RS05 always as an external wordclock to the AES card. Then compare both RS05 femtoclocked chains vs. direct connections.
and at the last just for the sake of it: USB Out of the RS05 (when not in wordclock mode) to Gungnir Multiibits USB in vs. PC to Gungnir Multbit
just to see how effective the RS05 can be.

That all is something for the cold days though.

Aug 8, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #470 of 588
Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #471 of 588
Yeah, the RS05 offers a lot of new possibilites.
If I had the RS05 I'd test

PC -> AES -> RS05 -> AES -> RS06
PC -> AES -> RS05 -> Coax -> Gungnir Multibit
PC -> AES -> impedance converter AES/Coax -> RS06
PC -> AES -> impedance converter AES/Coax-> Gungnir Multibit

RS05 always as an external wordclock to the AES card. Then compare both RS05 femtoclocked chains vs. direct connections.
and at the last just for the sake of it: USB Out of the RS05 (when not in wordclock mode) to Gungnir Multiibits USB in vs. PC to Gungnir Multbit

That all is something for the cold days though.

I tested RS05 connected to V800 with AES, coax and TOSLINK.
The best thing is AES according to my measurements.
There is additional noise floor in the case of coax or TOSLINK on high frequencies.
But I am not sure this can be heared (because this is probably random/gaussian jitter).
And probably, it is caused by the receiver of V800 (RS06 and V850 may be better here).

I don't have the spectrums right now, but the difference between internal clock of V800 and external clock of RS05 connected to V800 may be seen here.

V800 internal (IMD+N swept):
imdswept.png

RS05 => V800 (AES):
imdswept.png

This is not the distortion! The graph represents the IMD+Noise, and you see more gaussian noise on high frequencies here.
In the case of coax or TOSLINK this noise is higher.

But the most important thing here is the clock accuracy, phase jitter. It is better in RS05, I suppose.
I cannot measure it directly, but it is easy to hear the difference.

Aug 8, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #472 of 588

Wordclock is the worst thing you can use. This adds much more non-gaussian jitter!
I compared RS04 with wordclock from RS05, and its (RS04) internal clock. Internal clock produces much better results in this case!
Now I use RS04 as the clock source for RME Digiface, just to be able to change the sampling rate inside my PC by one key on RS04.
And then this clock goes to RS05 as the source. Then it is resampled and fed to V800 in the best possible quality.

Aug 8, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #473 of 588
If this device is "bit perfect", has simple software, and works stable, why not?

I will probably go with the Eitr, because of the 2 year warranty, and based on most feedbacks/opinions from you guys here, and on other threads/sites. And given that I have an experience with a Schiit product before (Mimby).

I just need to wait for it to be in-stock on the site as it is currently in backordered status.

Aug 10, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #475 of 588
Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #476 of 588
Hi!

Has anyone compared the V850 against the RME ADI DAC 2?
Thanks.

Aug 30, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #477 of 588
Hi!

Thanks.

There’s no comparison necessary. V850 is definitely the winner.

Aug 30, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #478 of 588
There’s no comparison necessary. V850 is definitely the winner.

How so? Can you elaborate a bit more? Have you heard it yourself?
I see that you do not own it - why?

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #479 of 588
How so? Can you elaborate a bit more? Have you heard it yourself?
I see that you do not own it - why?

I own a V850, know also the V800, the RS05 and some of Frieds hp amps (the V281 and V280 are awesome and his Niimbus is bombastic!). This guy builds only what he really likes - and he has a very good taste -. The V850 is extremely good and I don’t think you‘ll find a better dac in this price range. Of course it can’t compete with my Lampizator Golden Atlantic but I love and keep it for watching TV and sometimes I use it in my second system. The V850 is a bit perfect hifi gear and the best dac I know in his league...

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #480 of 588
Hi!

Thanks.
I have heard the v800 (which people say is very similar to v850) in a shop and had the Rme for almost a month before returning it.

I couldn't find difference between the v800 and my Fiio X3 II player used as a DAC (the Fiio is much cheaper) on the v281 and HD800S. So, I was disappointed with it and started making conclusions about all DACs not making a difference. That was until I heard the Chord Hugo 2 - the music became alive and colorful, it brought more emotion in me and I was really impressed. The DAC only version of the Chord Hugo 2 is the Qutest.

The Rme brought more detail to the sound but for some reason was giving me a headache if I listen for too long. Maybe too bright for the HD800S. I didn't like it not only because of the headache problem. I was just unimpressed by the sound. I would still choose the Rme over the v800/v850.

I had the opportunity to hear some Schiit gear on an event and I liked the sound, so currently I'm using the Yggdrasil A2. It was really hard choice for me between the Yggy and the Gungnir Multibit and before that the Chord Qutest.

So my recommendation would be to get Chord Qutest or Schiit Gungnir Multibit.

Here are some links to my posts in the V281 thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/vio...-durch-balanced.705318/page-279#post-14911187
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/vio...-durch-balanced.705318/page-282#post-14949202

You could basically see my whole DAC journey in the v281 thread if you are interested. You could find my posts in my profile page.

I'm still using the v281 and it's an amazing end game amp, but I'm not so impressed with the v800.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back