Violectric DAC V850 - General Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #481 of 588
So an Iggy it is. :wink:

Thank you!

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #482 of 588
So an Iggy it is. :wink:

Thank you!
Keep in mind that I haven't actually heard the Yggy or the Gumby before bying. I'm very happy with the Yggy, but still haven't heard the Gumby. I know some people that may prefer it. My decision is based on my experience with other DACs (the full range of Chord DACs, Benchmark DAC3, Metrum Onyx, Violectric v800 and the less expensive Schiit multibit DACs) and a lot of praise on the forums for the Gumby and Yggy.

Also, keep in mind that the Yggy sounds best if it is kept always on because it has long warm up time. Also it's obviously big. These reasons can be a dealbreaker for some people. Anyway, I think it is a true end-game DAC and I'm fully satisfied by the way it sounds. If the Chord Dave was at the Yggy's price point I could consider getting it instead, but the Dave is almost 4 times more expensive.

I think you will be very happy with the Yggy.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #483 of 588
I would recommend to try the Lampizator Amber 3 or an Acoustic Invader before you spend your money on a Yggy. The Lampi is something around 3k/A.I. approximately 2.5k, but we came from a V800 (€900)/V850 (€1500) ((which definitely sound different)) to an Yggy ($2400). So why not going straight to the perfect solution...:dt880smile:. If you want to become nerdy, check the Lampizator Golden Atlantic TRP. If you need more, put an Ideon Masterclock between your source and the TRP... If that’s not enough, go with the Golden Pacific + Masterclock... Don’t forget: To get the best possible sound improvement you need great cables. FTA Callisto is my favorite USB Cable, if you find a better one, tell me, I will buy it. Norne Audio Draug Silver is the best sounding full-size hp cable I ever heard. As you see, there are a lot of possibilities...

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #484 of 588
Or wait for the Niimbus US8+. :sunglasses:

Yggy is a great choice though but you will need to have it always on and not live in an area where electricity is erratic or unstable. Takes quite some time to reach thermal equilibrium.
Also, Unison USB is under way in January and Yggy will definitely get an chassis upgrade sometime for remote control and who knows what else.

I hate the relais click when switching sample rates on the Gungnir and the Yggy does the same. Let's see if they resolve this in future iterations.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #485 of 588
@Fegefeuer, any word on the US8+ DAC? I saw a picture from the Munich show a few months ago but no further word. Though I've happy with my DAC V850/V281 combo, I'm always excited with new Lake People/Violectric/Niimbus gear. Also, any word on new offerings for the Violectric brand in 2020?

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #486 of 588
The whole violectric line will get revamped, be it amps or dacs. I don't know anything about the insides yet but form factor I heard will be totally different and there will be more than just 1:1 replacements or let's say there will be a more diverse lineup. I think High End 2020 is the earliest date for them to be revealed.

Too early to say a lot about the US DACs. I created a thread for it because people asked about the DAC line over many threads but the info is outdated as the DAC chips themselves haven't been chosen last time I checked. Here's the links for its main features https://www.head-fi.org/threads/niimbus-us8-us8-dacs-by-lake-people.907613/

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #487 of 588
V850 vs Benchmark DAC3-B vs Chord Qutest? Chord has no balanced output though.

Amps I'm considering are V280, THX AAA 789, or... maybe I just get an all-in-one like Matrix Element X. Or go even more simple with the V280 and optional built-in DAC.

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #488 of 588
V850 vs Benchmark DAC3-B vs Chord Qutest? Chord has no balanced output though.

Amps I'm considering are V280, THX AAA 789, or... maybe I just get an all-in-one like Matrix Element X. Or go even more simple with the V280 and optional built-in DAC.
Imo, V280+DAC or Element X or Monoprice thx 887+chord qutest. All 3 should be really really good.

Nov 13, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #490 of 588
finally got the eitr up and running after several delays to finish my custom coax cable :sweat_smile:.

first impression is very positive, i really like what I am hearing with the eitr included in my audio chain, though can’t compare it with the USB input of RS06 as mine don’t have one, I am comparing it with optical input.

just noticed some things:

1. My Eitr and RS06 still picks up some signal even when no music is being played, though I am not hearing any hum or any noise even when I set the volume of my amp to max with high gain on (no music playing, of course :smile:)

2. I am hearing “pop” when I am trying to switch some appliances on or just switching the lights on and off.

RS05 NEXT! :fingers_crossed:

I think I might need to invest next on a power conditioner as well to fix the points mentioned (please correct me if I am wrong or if you have suggestions as well).

EE0BFB2D-C171-483F-976A-628657053925.jpeg

Jan 31, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #491 of 588
Just hit "buy" button on V850. Currently have V280. So looking forward to listening to this Violectric combo. :L3000:

Read about Lake People's DAT RS05 (with the Femto clock) which can can unjitter, resample, re-clock the audio signal and further improve the sound. I have few questions if anyone can share their experiences:

1) I currently own Totaldac's USB filter cable and also the Wyred4Sound Recovery, is the RS05 worth buying to replace them ? Is the sound improvement really that noticeable in the V850/V280 combo with the addition of RS05 ?
2) With the RS05, the recommendation I read is to switch off the resampling function on the V850 but to use the re-sampling and Femto clock on the RS05 instead, but wouldn't it be a wasted functionality on the V850 ? If I choose to switch on the re-sample on V850, does it mean that I am wasting my money in getting the RS05 ?

If only there is one product that combines the V850 and RS05... (is this the proposition of the new and upcoming Niimbus dac ??)

Jan 31, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #492 of 588
2) With the RS05, the recommendation I read is to switch off the resampling function on the V850 but to use the re-sampling and Femto clock on the RS05 instead, but wouldn't it be a wasted functionality on the V850 ? If I choose to switch on the re-sample on V850, does it mean that I am wasting my money in getting the RS05 ?

If only there is one product that combines the V850 and RS05... (is this the proposition of the new and upcoming Niimbus dac ??)

Yes :)

And I think it is better to use AES/EBU (XLR) to connect them digitally.

Jan 31, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #493 of 588
Yes :)

And I think it is better to use AES/EBU (XLR) to connect them digitally.

Thanks for the tip. My current chain is Macbook Pro > Audirvana > Totaldac Filter > Wyred4Sound Recovery > Herus(replacing with V850) > V280 > HD650/Mad Dogs.
How can I use the AES/EBU on the mac which is restricted to USB line-out ? what would you recommend me to add/buy to leverage on the superior AES/EBU connection from mac to RS05 ? No problem with AES/EBU from RS05 to V850.

Note: I have already purchased Violectric balanced interconnect(V850 > V280).

Jan 31, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #494 of 588
Thanks for the tip. My current chain is Macbook Pro > Audirvana > Totaldac Filter > Wyred4Sound Recovery > Herus(replacing with V850) > V280 > HD650/Mad Dogs.
How can I use the AES/EBU on the mac which is restricted to USB line-out ? what would you recommend me to add/buy to leverage on the superior AES/EBU connection from mac to RS05 ? No problem with AES/EBU from RS05 to V850.

Note: I have already purchased Violectric balanced interconnect(V850 > V280).

I use MacBook Pro as the source too (one of the sources), I use its cheap optical out.
It does not matter which interface you use at the input of RS 05.

But you need to use a good interface between RS 05 and V850.
This is important, because you want the best possible signal at the input of the V850!

No need to spend lots of money for XLR, you can use short Mogami Digital Gold XLR cables, for example.
Violectric can produce AES/EBU too, as I know.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #495 of 588
I use MacBook Pro as the source too (one of the sources), I use its cheap optical out.
It does not matter which interface you use at the input of RS 05.

But you need to use a good interface between RS 05 and V850.
This is important, because you want the best possible signal at the input of the V850!

No need to spend lots of money for XLR, you can use short Mogami Digital Gold XLR cables, for example.
Violectric can produce AES/EBU too, as I know.
I see. Then I can skip the purchase of USB interface and just go for the Femto option. Thanks for the great advice ! Didn’t know Violectric has AES/EBU cable too. Will ask Arthur. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back