Violectric DAC V850 - General Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 28, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #451 of 588
@NDonchev, congrats and maybe we can help each other. I'm opposite of you. I currently own a V850 which I pair with an SPL Phonitor X. I just last week bought a Violectric v281. I like the idea of using one brand and have been smitten with my V850 so far. My intention to do a A/B comparison and see for myself if the V850 works best with it's sibling, v281. My guess is that it will have a great synergy with the two pieces, playing into the fact that they are both Violectric produced. I'm also interested in this stack do to the fact that its narrower in footprint.

Now to your question. Unfortunately I have no experience with your Fiio DAP you are currently using. Nor have I ever heard the Violectric v800. If you look in past pages of this thread you can read the differences between the V850 and the V800. Off the top of my head, I know Violectric V850 has better care taken in the USB signal routing and in relation to reducing jitter. I know alot of thought was taken into refining other smaller areas in the V850 from the V800. The term that gets used alot is that the V850 is a evolution from the V800. I'm sure all of the work in many areas, though maybe seeming small to some, has produced a better DAC. I'm very happy with my V850. So munch so that I now have a growing level of respect for Violectric that I jumped in to also purchase a V281, as I already said.

Maybe others that already own this V281-V850 combo stack can chime in and share. I'm currently out of the country and wont have my hands on my new V281 much less have it working with the V850 for a few weeks. So my impressions will be slightly delayed. But when I get a chance I'll post when I have it all working as it should.

My final thoughts for you and you question is this. Generally sister products produce a greater sum together than that of the individual parts. Meaning, DAC V850 is a fantastic unit. I'm sure V281 is also a great unit. Many people over the last few years regard it very highly. So my gut assumption is that together V850 and V281 will marry very well and have a beautiful synergy together. At least this is what I'm hoping.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #452 of 588
I don’t know the Fiio but I can tell you, it’s not easy to find a better dac in this price range.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #453 of 588
Thanks for the answers.

I read a lot before making a decision and yes, there are a lot of positive impressions about Violectric products around here. Also I had the opportunity to hear some of their units at a local store. That is why I went with v281 and now probably the v850. There are also one or two hate Violectric threads on other forums, but that is definitely a minority. They usually point to Schiit stack as a better alternative, but I don't have the possibility to hear Schiit's stuff as they are not available in my country. Maybe in the future I'll find some big audiophile event in Europe and go try some audio stuff there.

My intension was not to find comparisons between the v800 and v850. I already found those around the forum. Ideally, I'll be happy to find a direct comparison between the Fiio X3 II and the v850, but that's not very likely. So I hope to get some opinions on the difference between cheaper dacs and the v850.

For example, on Headphonia's review of v850 it is stated that "V850 plays in a different league, both in versatility and sound quality" from other cheaper dacs, including the Fiio X7. In the same time in the comments for the review it is stated - "I have V850/V281 ->HD800 balanced cables all the way" and later in the same comment "Mojo->V281 and V850/V281 have very minimal sound differences which is difficult to identify". That is what worries me. I think sometimes there is a tendency to overstate differences between gear.

Nevertheless, in my experience difference between amps can be really big. Going from Fiio X3 II -> HD800S to Fiio X3 II -> Teac HA-501 amp -> HD800S the differences are really big. And currently going to Fiio X3 II -> v281 amp -> HD800S from the Teac setup it is definitely another big step. I don't need to AB test a million times before hearing any difference, I just need a few seconds with the new gear.

@RobertSM, I'll be happy to help, but I'm not sure how I could. I have read that often there is better synergy between gear of the same brand and that seems logical. Also, visually it usually looks a lot better. I don't know much about the SPL Phonitor X, but it seems like a quality peace of equipment and it is similarily priced to the v281.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #455 of 588
Apr 23, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #456 of 588
Hello

I want to ask something which is so important for me and I have no idea

V850 + Audioengine A5+

What do you think this match? :L3000:

* my english not good :ksc75smile: and ı have no idea technical data ( dac and monitors ) just want to listening referance sound :o2smile:

Aug 1, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #457 of 588
Hello
V850 + Audioengine A5+

I don't have the V850, but I have the RS-06 and with A5+ the combo is really good, I can hear details more clearly than before (using the SMSL SU8 before) and can perceive better bass. I though this was just a "new toy syndrome". But after listening to them for almost 3 weeks now, I can safely say that the SQ did improved (compared with SMSL SU8).

Hope this helps.

PS: I plan to acquire the RS 05 as well hopefully before the year ends, as I really like how the RS 06 improved the SQ on my system. I think the RS 05 + RS 06 will make it more better :D

Aug 1, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #458 of 588
With the RS05 you can skip the Windows volume setting and use its 24 Bit volume control, assuming you have connected your A5's to the RS06.

Since I also have the RS06 I might be able to give you some impressions with the RS05 in a few weeks.

Aug 1, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #459 of 588
With the RS05 you can skip the Windows volume setting and use its 24 Bit volume control, assuming you have connected your A5's to the RS06.

Yep the A5+ is connected to the RS06.

Since I also have the RS06 I might be able to give you some impressions with the RS05 in a few weeks.

Oh thanks! That would be really helpful, if possible as well, can you try comparing the RS05+RS06 vs Gumby. Not that I am interested with the Gumby, I just want to know on how it fares against Multibit Dacs.

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #460 of 588
Hello, as I have mentioned previously I am currently using RS06 but with no USB INPUT, and I am currently looking at the USB TO SPDIF converter and so far, I've come up with 2 choices

1) Schiit Eitr - 179 USD
2) Topping D10 - 65 USD

I was actually leaning towards the Schiit one, due to feedbacks and reviews, but would it really matter on what USB to SPDIF converter I choose? given that the RS06 has a separate oscillator or clock that works when the RESAMPLE is ON?

Any opinion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #461 of 588
Hello, as I have mentioned previously I am currently using RS06 but with no USB INPUT, and I am currently looking at the USB TO SPDIF converter and so far, I've come up with 2 choices

1) Schiit Eitr - 179 USD
2) Topping D10 - 65 USD

I was actually leaning towards the Schiit one, due to feedbacks and reviews, but would it really matter on what USB to SPDIF converter I choose? given that the RS06 has a separate oscillator or clock that works when the RESAMPLE is ON?

Any opinion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

It does not change the sound quality when the resampling is turned on.
Personally, I would prefer the most simple, accurate and stable device which has all software features I want.

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #462 of 588
Get the EITR, don't bother with more expensive USB stuff,

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #463 of 588
It does not change the sound quality when the resampling is turned on.
Personally, I would prefer the most simple, accurate and stable device which has all software features I want.

That is what I assume as well, since the oscillator inside the RS06 will take over once the resample is on (i have them on always actually) then there wont be really a difference in which usb to spdif I will choose and going with the Topping one would be the better path (and cheaper as well).

What do you think? ..

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #464 of 588
Oh I forgot to mention as well, I am planning on getting the RS05 with femto clock option before the year ends (hopefully), forgot to mention this earlier. Not sure if this helps though.

Aug 7, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #465 of 588
That is what I assume as well, since the oscillator inside the RS06 will take over once the resample is on (i have them on always actually) then there wont be really a difference in which usb to spdif I will choose and going with the Topping one would be the better path (and cheaper as well).

If this device is "bit perfect", has simple software, and works stable, why not?

Oh I forgot to mention as well, I am planning on getting the RS05 with femto clock option before the year ends (hopefully), forgot to mention this earlier. Not sure if this helps though.

But this is another story. The best interface to connect RS05 and RS06 is AES/EBU. So you need to get the digital XLR cable (as short as possible).
I have expensive high end cable (Tchernov Cable IC AES/EBU Ultimate) and the cheap but HQ cable (Mogami Gold Edition AES/EBU).
They both work pretty well, I cannot hear (or measure) the difference for this task. Mogami is really good enough, IMO.

UPD. Your USB device will work fine in this case too (connected to RS05).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back