Violectric DAC V850 - General Discussion and Impressions Thread
Aug 16, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #421 of 581
I can't seem to get kernel streaming or ASIO4ALL or the Violectric ASIO drivers to use the correct sample rate on foobar2000. 192khz or whatever and the violectric control panel shows 44.1... Only way around issue is to use the primary audio driver and set it manually to 192khz.

Google has not been my friend in finding a solution.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #424 of 581
As usual. AES and coax. Of course it also depends from where you are coming. If you are on the PC and you have no better output than the USB port then you are stuck with it unless you get a Lynx/RME card and go AES out or you have a transformer coupled SPDIF output from a soundcard. I don't know any. Afair ESI Julia XT does have it.

AES/Coax/BNC > good USB solution > optical > bad noisy USB that is routed between two RTX 2080TIs witout shielding while the same USB controller is also supplying voltage and data to a dual akimbo gamer mouse setup

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #425 of 581
So you think using the Allo Digione to my DAC would be superior to using the Allo USBridge? Any suggestions for a good value Roon endpoint with AES output?

I have my core on my Mac mini but also have my router on the desk. Sounds like going Cat5 from the router to an Allo product would be superior to going straight from the USB in the Mac Mini.

Oct 6, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #426 of 581
The Allo DigiOne is quite excellent. The best transport right now. I would always take it over any USB output. Has two outputs as well (BNC, coax). Don't sweat it not having AES. It's so superbly clean and well engineered you don't need AES.
If you really really want AES then build a ultra low-noise Intel 945 PC and get a used Lynx AES16. More powerful than any RBPI3 as well but also bigger.

Oct 6, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #427 of 581
I recommend to use an ifi iUSB 3.0 (with an external powersupply like a S-Booster) or a Lake People DAT RS 05 to reclock the usb signal between the source and the Violectric V850 usb in. The ifi sounds very natural and organic. The RS 05 sounds more precise, a bit more studiolike and neutral but still warm. Think it‘s a matter of taste and depends of which other components are used. In my opinion the best options I know to get the best result out of this unbelievable fantastic dac (don’t forget to use a solid power socket and powercords)...

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #428 of 581
True, the DAT RS05 is another option, also covers your AES.
I never tested it, though. Curious how it improves the chain.

If you go for it then definitely choose the Femto clock upgrade

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #429 of 581
Oct 8, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #430 of 581
I have the Schiit WYRD and don't recommend it for the V850. The Galvanic isolation on the USB is good enough and the USB in generell well implemented.The WYRD won't give worthwhile benefits.
The EITR however is a greater way to enjoy USB from a PC/Notebook etc. Does everything the WYRD does and offer a clean transformer coupled SPDIF output with its own PSU.

And then there's the RS05 of course.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #432 of 581
What difference is there in the sound of the XMOS chip in this compared to adding an XMOS DAC to the v281 - what makes the difference in sound quality that the v850 is the better option?

The XMOS chip is only used for the USB input (it's a USB to I2S converter). The DAC chip used for both the add-on DAC option in a Violectric amp and in the V850 is made by Burr Brown (TI). The V850 uses dual DAC chips and has a very stable clock along with resampling options and its own power supply.

The internal DAC option is a very simple single input unit and an excellent value. However, an external DAC is always going to sound better. When you have a dedicated piece of equipment there's not only room for additional features (inputs, outputs, volume, resampling), but there is space for a design with a better topology and improved isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back