Violectric DAC V850 - General Discussion and Impressions Thread
Dec 8, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #181 of 588
It's not hard. Wasn't for me. I got my dac, plugged in the interconnects, usb and power, pressed play on the computer and it worked. Computer automatically recognises it and lists it under SPDIF out (even though it's USB). Brilliant.

All my files are redbook .wav files though so I don't have answers for you about anything else. If I had an album in 176.4 and it was having issues, I would convert it to another sample rate. IMO, you worry too much :p

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #182 of 588
It's not hard. Wasn't for me. I got my dac, plugged in the interconnects, usb and power, pressed play on the computer and it worked. Computer automatically recognises it and lists it under SPDIF out (even though it's USB). Brilliant.

All my files are redbook .wav files though so I don't have answers for you about anything else. If I had an album in 176.4 and it was having issues, I would convert it to another sample rate. IMO, you worry too much :p

No, I don't. Surely you don't buy a DAC not knowing its specifics. Or at least I wouldn't. I hope I'm helpful to other people as well.
normal_smile .gif

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #183 of 588
  On a more practical note - does the new V850 support the so called integer mode playback?

Yes, the Violectric V850 does support Integer Mode. Just enable it in your playback software like Audirvana, Jriver, and several others that support it.

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #184 of 588
Agreed, the NAD is a very competent DAC. It shouldn't be hugely different compared to the V800 or V850. The aesthetic aspect is worth considering, but that would apply more to someone making the initial purchase.... not sure I'd sell your DAC just to get a matching look for your amp.

Still, ,it IS compelling to see a matching stack like this:

Instead of of a hodgepodge this:

Hi Project86!

Read you review of the v281, and based on that, it will be my end game amp (hopefully). I currently have the NAD M51, but im also considering the V850. Would you be able to comment on the differences, sonicaly, between the two? Do you think it worth getting the v850 alonside the NAD?

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #185 of 588
Hi Project86!

Read you review of the v281, and based on that, it will be my end game amp (hopefully). I currently have the NAD M51, but im also considering the V850. Would you be able to comment on the differences, sonicaly, between the two? Do you think it worth getting the v850 alonside the NAD?

Before you read this reply please be advised that my ability to describe audio is fairly limited and I don't exactly understand all the terminology. I have owned both of these dacs though so will have a brief attempt at doing so....

I would describe the M51 as very neutral to the point of maybe being a little bland however it does offer a better range of inputs including HDMI. The V850 is slightly warmer with a degree or two more base. I prefer it but not by a huge amount. I do also like having the matching stack.

I can't see why you would have both.

Dec 15, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #186 of 588
Before you read this reply please be advised that my ability to describe audio is fairly limited and I don't exactly understand all the terminology. I have owned both of these dacs though so will have a brief attempt at doing so....

I would describe the M51 as very neutral to the point of maybe being a little bland however it does offer a better range of inputs including HDMI. The V850 is slightly warmer with a degree or two more base. I prefer it but not by a huge amount. I do also like having the matching stack.

I can't see why you would have both.

Thanks @gonzfi, that is most appreciated. I don't want to part with the NAD as I find it a great pairing with the Burson Soloist, which has been my main amp for the last few years. But if I'm getting the V281, I wanted to find out if the V850 would significantly outperform the NAD - or if it would present an equal-yet-different flavor that would complement the M51. If it's complementary then it might pay to keep both, but if it bests the NAD and it is of the same general sound signature, then the NAD should go.

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #188 of 588
  I agree - the M51 is quite a nice DAC, and maybe just a little neutral or clinical at times. I would expect the differences with V850 to be small. 

Thanks for the reply. It looks like I will stick with the NAD M51 for a while longer. If the V850 goes for a nice price, I might consider it, or perhaps wait for the next gen Violectric DAC. 

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #191 of 588
Question here. Noticed that V850 analogue outputs impedance is stated to be 'significantly lower than 1 (one) Ohm'. I don't think I've seen such a low impedance with other DACs (not headphone output impedance). What's the advantage of the lower output impedance in this particular case?

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #192 of 588
Little off-topic here, but I thought there must be one or two in here who are, or has been using, the V800 V2 DAC.

I have a question about connection between this DAC and a PC. What would be better, optical or USB? I use foobar2000 and got mainly 24bit/92khz songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back