Violectric DAC V850 - General Discussion and Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #136 of 588
@ Dreaming Jester.

There is an indirect way to check the sample rate of the incoming digital signal:

The maximum allowed sample rate inside DCA V800 / V850 is quad rate (110 - 210 kHz)
You can check with the sample rate multiplier button (off > x1 > x2 > x4 > Best) what factors are accepted.
If all factors are accepted the incoming sample rate is between 28 - 55 kHz
If the factors x1 and x2 are accepted, the incoming sampe rate is between 55 and 110 kHz
If only factor x1 is accepted, the incoming sample rate is between 110 kHz and 210 kHz

Thank you, Fried Reim

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #146 of 588

Appreciate your sense of humour but my question was very specific - about using a dedicated function without having to purchase the remote control enabled version

Actually I like using the mute button on one of my other DAC's. Especially when I have to walk away, answer a phone call, or if someone walks into the room and starts talking to me. I don't have to lower the volume and put it back to my precise preferred listening level each time.  I find the mute button especially useful when I run my DAC into my speaker system and find I don't use it much on headphones as I can just take the headphones off.

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #147 of 588

Actually I like using the mute button on one of my other DAC's. Especially when I have to walk away, answer a phone call, or if someone walks into the room and starts talking to me. I don't have to lower the volume and put it back to my precise preferred listening level each time.  I find the mute button especially useful when I run my DAC into my speaker system and find I don't use it much on headphones as I can just take the headphones off.

That's why I asked. The older V800 has this physical mute button on the faceplate whereas in the new V850 it's replaced by what looks like remote control receiver. It's only logical to ask if this function is somehow useable (combination of buttons or whatever) without the remote which now has the dedicated mute button. If not, a convenient feature seems lost without having the remote controlled version which may not be needed/preferred by everyone. Then I got this witty remark about 'turning the volume knob to min' as if it wasn't already obvious enough what I was asking about. 

Nov 19, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #148 of 588
@ Dreaming Jester
Instead of a mute button there is the IR receiving window on the front panel of V850.
So the mute function is not directly accessible on DAC V850.
Also I share the opinion that a directly accesssible mute is a nice feature but not a must-have.
There are lots of DACs out there without any controls.
There are several other options to set the volume to zero in case of a telefon call:
hitting the pause button of the play-back device, selecting the next input, push the power button ...
its all a question of habit and practice.

@ Dreaming Jester
The X-Mos chip-set is ready for all standard sample rates from 32 to 192 kHz - EXCEPT 176.4 kHz
This is where the Tenor chip-set is ahead as is also includes 176.4 kHz.

@ hypersonic
The D/A chip PCM 1795 allows two filter settings "sharp" and "soft" roll-off which are featured in this doccument on page 10.
"sharp" describes the standard signal treating which is useful for low sample rates like 44.1 and 48 kHz.
"sharp" is kind of a brick-walll filter at half the sample frequency.

Assuming that there is no real audible content in the extended audio bandwidth with higher sample rates,
"soft" is a filter which begins to attenuate at about a third of the sample frequency and reaches full attenuation at about 80 % of the sample rate.
The "soft" filter is the more "musical" approach and the default setting on all Lake People and Violectric DACs.  

Thank you, Fried Reim

Nov 19, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #149 of 588
Quote:
  ...@ Dreaming Jester
The X-Mos chip-set is ready for all standard sample rates from 32 to 192 kHz - EXCEPT 176.4 kHz
This is where the Tenor chip-set is ahead as is also includes 176.4 kHz...

Thanks, Mr Reim. Although the V850 manual states that 'TheUSB -24/192 circuitry uses the X-Mos chip set. It accepts 32, 44.1, 48,88.2, 96,176.4 und 192 kHz sample rate.
In order to avoid any interference caused from the host, the USB input is fully insulated, with the signal coupled via transformer.' Taken directly from the manual?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back