Violectric DAC V850 - General Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 27, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #91 of 581
Has anyone had any issues installing the driver (XMOS) on a windows 7 machine? The driver installs but the V850 just isn't recognized.
Any advise is welcome :)

Sep 27, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #93 of 581
Is it getting sufficient power? Are you using a usb hub splitting bandwidth/power distribution? Try without the hub if so. Maybe try a different usb port (usb 2/3) isssue/conflict. I get some issues using a usb power isolator if my usb microphone is plugged into the same usb lane of my motherboard; simply not enough power/bandwidth for both. Moving one to a different lane resolved the issue.
note: this is with a different dac, but can be universal solutions.

Some usb 2.0 dacs absolutely don't work on usb 3.0 ports in my experience as well. Not sure what else to suggest trying at this moment. Hope one of those suggestions works for you.

Thanks for the quick reply, I tried on the usb 2.0 and it worked. thanks!

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #99 of 581
V281+V850+HE1000 in balanced is extremely good. It's been my couch setup since sunday evening and I can't wait to get home.
On one side I'm a bit sad in it not "doing" DSD but as I only have a couple of files for testing it's not that bad. A lot of people might want DSD though but that's not likely to happen with Fried's products (was talking to him about it last Saturday over a beer)

Anyway, great DAC.

Oct 13, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #101 of 581
I have also been listening to V281+V850+HE1000 for about two straight weeks and it’s a wonderful combination.  I compared the V281 to my reference DAC the Wadia 321 which also does not do DSD and have found the combination of V281+V850+HE1000 had more transparency, faster attack, better dynamics, better extension on both top and bottom in comparison to the combination of Wadia 321+V281+HE1000.  The V850 really performed well compared to the $3000 retail priced Wadia. 

The Wadia 321 was slightly warmer sounding overall and had a tad more body but in combination with the V821 which I think is slightly warm sounding to begin with it lost some of its overall transparency especially when I used the combo with my Audeze LCD 3f.  I like both DAC's equally but I think the V850 helps balance out the slightly warm V281.

I also used the V850 in my two channel rig which comprises of the following:

Sophia Electric 91-03-300B integrated amp
Jadis Defy 7 Mk II
Tekton Design Lore 2.0 Speakers
Focus Audio Signature SE78 Speakers 
Cary Audio 300 HDCD
Siltech Cabling

The V850 performed extremely well...It constantly had better micro detail, attack and a much more exciting sound when compared to the Wadia 321.
The Wadia outperformed the Violectric in terms of Soundstage width, ease of how the music seemed to flow ( a tad slower and less rush), and 3 Dimensionality.

My understanding is that the Violectric V850 uses a Burr Brown based chip and the Wadia 321 uses an ESS ES9018S Sabre based.  I think overall most people would assume based on the DAC chips being use that the Wadia would be more analytical sounding.  My ears tell me the opposite.  If I had to chose on which is more analytical sounding it would have to be the V850 in comparison to the Wadia.  Or I guess I can say the Wadia is just a tad warmer than the Violectric.  This all just goes to show me that the final implementation of how the DAC and analog output stage works together is more important than the sound signature of the DAC alone.

In all instances I tested both using balance and single ended and found that the V281 performs slightly better using the balance headphone out.
I purchase the Violectric product via Arthur of Violectric USA http://violectric-usa.com/ .  He was extremely helpful and with the current 15% discount I think the V850 is really a great buy.

Feel free to contact me if any one needs additional details.

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #102 of 581
First post from a longtime lurker.

Might anyone be able to speak to specific sonic differences between the V850 to the V800 or (perhaps) the Benchmark DAC2? I have the V800 and save for some issues with the USB -- issues which are most likely a feature of Apple's Yosemite and El Cap -- I love the DAC. 

I'd like to upgrade and get something with a remote and something that might better suit current and future USB implementations. Any thoughts? 

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #103 of 581
I had both in my system but I didn't compare both the V800 and V850 at the same time.  The V800 was in my system for a few days prior to my V850 arriving and they crossed each other in shipment back to Violectric-USA. I was in the market for a new DAC so I originally purchased the V800 (with the lower price and the current 15% discount it was truly a great value for the money).   I too also had some issues with USB drivers on my Mac and because of that reason decided to go with the V850.  In terms of sound... the V850 has a similar sound signature to the V800.  If you like the V800 I think you will like the V850 even more.  Basically larger sound stage, wider and deeper, more transparent, slightly better dynamics and much better defined low bass with the V850.  It is not a night and day difference...especially in my Headphone Rig.  When I auditioned the two on my speaker rig the differences in sound stage size layering and imaging is more pronounced between the two with the V850 performing much better.  The V850 is more of the V800 in my opinion.  The Violectric house sound remains the same between the two units.

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #104 of 581

Thanks very helpful, thanks!
  I had both in my system but I didn't compare both the V800 and V850 at the same time.  The V800 was in my system for a few days prior to my V850 arriving and they crossed each other in shipment back to Violectric-USA. I was in the market for a new DAC so I originally purchased the V800 (with the lower price and the current 15% discount it was truly a great value for the money).   I too also had some issues with USB drivers on my Mac and because of that reason decided to go with the V850.  In terms of sound... the V850 has a similar sound signature to the V800.  If you like the V800 I think you will like the V850 even more.  Basically larger sound stage, wider and deeper, more transparent, slightly better dynamics and much better defined low bass with the V850.  It is not a night and day difference...especially in my Headphone Rig.  When I auditioned the two on my speaker rig the differences in sound stage size layering and imaging is more pronounced between the two with the V850 performing much better.  The V850 is more of the V800 in my opinion.  The Violectric house sound remains the same between the two units.

Thanks for a very clear and helpful response. Which version of OS X were/are you using? I'm currently on El Cap, which has been great, save for USB DAC issues.

As I understand it, I may be able to upgrade the V800 to the XMOS USB used in the V850 (I'm waiting to hear back from Arthur). I may also end up picking up the V850, as I listen to monitors and headphones in different rooms and currently have a set of HD800 and an amp sitting on a desk without a DAC. Plus it'd be very nice to have a remote with my current setup. If I end up with the V800 and V850, I'd really be stuffed to gills with DACs. 

I have the Benchmark DAC2 on order and may end up returning it for the V850. I've been really happy with the V800 and tend to think all the USB issues are apple related. 

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #105 of 581

I tried it on one Mac with El Cap installed and a Mac without.  The one with El Cap definitely had more issues than the one without.  Arthur had also mentioned to me about the USB upgrade to XMOS but I decided to go with the newer DAC.  I may use the V850 on my speaker rig once in a while and found that it had better synergy compared to the V800.  The better synergy plus the USB issue being the deciding reason why I went with the V850 over the V800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back