Vinyl, What Is The Deal
Jul 1, 2005 at 9:44 AM Post #61 of 127
The compact disc gets its bad reputation for sound quality due mainly to all of the poor sounding recordings processed before about 1990.No machine can do anything to fix these discs.I have LPs that sound better than CDs and CDs that sound better than LPs.It all depends on the quality of the software.There is one thing that digital media cannot seem to duplicate.The sound of fast plastic.LP sized recordings spinning at 45 RPM has a hot sound that I have never heard duplicated on CD nor SACD media.

Jul 1, 2005 at 1:24 PM Post #62 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
Digital: Meridian G08

Analog: VPI Super Scoutmaster/Grado Statement/Ray Samuels XR-10B

Is the Meridian of comparible cost to the entire Vinyl rig you've listed there?

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #63 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Is the Meridian of comparible cost to the entire Vinyl rig you've listed there?

No. The Vinyl rig cost about 3 times more. Nevertheless, I think they are both fine examples of their respective media (i.e. digital and analog) and should serve as a useful basis for comparison. I would love to have an 808, but, alas, I'm stuck with the lowly G08.

Jul 1, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #64 of 127
Quote:

Within the next few weeks I'll have a good analog and digital rig sitting side by side in my 2 channel setup:

Digital: Meridian G08

Analog: VPI Super Scoutmaster/Grado Statement/Ray Samuels XR-10B

both running through an EAR 864 preamp and Meridian G57 amp.

I dropped by Amoeba records in SF today and picked up about 20 180 and 200 gram records. I made it a point to pick up albums I already have on CD. I'll try to get a few head-fi members over and do some llistening comparisons.

May I make some suggestions.

Try to get MoFi's copy of Pink Flyod's Dark side of the Moon both in CD and LP. They're expensive. But they'll give an idea of what the best manufacturing is capable of.

Elton John's Tumbleweed Connection. It can hear detail on CD that's not on LP. But it also expose the weakness of CD because it showed the defect on the master tape.

Lastly, get some Chesky sampler. To me the music is boring, but with a good speaker system, it has incredible soundstage. It gives you almost live like experience. IMO, Chesky has the best recorded CD.

For LP, get some direct to disc, especially Japanese import. They're simply incredible.

In your evaluation, please ignore the sonic signature because you are listening to two different systems. Try listen more for the detail, definition and the dynamic. I don't know about the Grado. But MM are typically warmer. If you can get your hand on a MC, try it. MC has a more neutral sound.

Let us know your finding.

Jul 1, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #65 of 127
Quote:

No. The Vinyl rig cost about 3 times more. Nevertheless, I think they are both fine examples of their respective media (i.e. digital and analog) and should serve as a useful basis for comparison. I would love to have an 808, but, alas, I'm stuck with the lowly G08.

i also have the g08 and comparing to my rega3 with rays phono I must say a $1,500 vinyl rig is easily taking the g08 which is said to be the closet to vinyl a cdp can get...the g08 retails somewhere around $4500?

lol damm

Jul 1, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #66 of 127
There were and are still a lot of good vinyl records which will sound very good, especially over loudspeakers. I can imagine that it would be fun discovering this trove.

The market has spoken on the respective virtues of analog vs digital a long time ago and digital won handily. Most initial purchasers were audiophile types who, like me, had a lot invested in lps' and who were quite happy with the new format, in spite of some fairly obvious flaws. When the mass-market came on board about 5 years later, vinyl dissappeared from the record stores very quickly.

There are good and bad cd's and lp's and quality of playback equipment and proper set-up can make a big difference in sound quality for both formats. On balance I prefer cd's by a large margin. I acknowledge that digital sound needs improvement but analog has major defects with very little likelihood of remedy.

LP's have considerable limitations but I think they were better than cassettes which outlasted lp's by a decade and more. Anyone want to argue that cassettes are a high-fi medium? That was an analog format too.

Jul 1, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #67 of 127
Quote:

So the Vinly rig costs 3 times more and you are comparing it to a Meridian, which is arguably one of the more dry anemic sounding players out there. I would expect these two rigs to sound completely different and you will either fall in love with the 'warmth' of the vinyl or you will hate it. That is the problems with these types of comparisons.

It is possible to get a warm sound on a digital setup as well, without sacrificing detail. You don't absolutely need vinyl to get that.

Jul 1, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #68 of 127
Quote:

So the Vinly rig costs 3 times more and you are comparing it to a Meridian, which is arguably one of the more dry anemic sounding players out there.

I don't know where you got impression of the G08, but I would have to disagree. The Meridian is very warm and smooth, and hardly anemic. Of course, that is just my opinion. I'm sure there are unhappy Meridian users out there, but many people I talk to name the G08 as one of their all time favorite sources. I would have to say that the G57/EAR864/G08 combo I use is one of the more "vinyl" sounding digital setups I have heard... and certainly the reason TTVJ loves it so much.

Jul 1, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #69 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow
LP's have considerable limitations but I think they were better than cassettes which outlasted lp's by a decade and more. Anyone want to argue that cassettes are a high-fi medium? That was an analog format too.

Cassettes were a hifi medium too... as long as you had a good deck, high bias tape stock and recorded them 1:1. However many people used them for listening in the car and prerecords were cheap stock duplicated at 4:1 or higher.

See ya
Steve

Jul 1, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #70 of 127
Cassettes "outlasted" LPs? You've got it backwards. You don't hear anyone talking about the cassette renaissance.

Jul 2, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #71 of 127
Quote:

I don't know where you got impression of the G08, but I would have to disagree. The Meridian is very warm and smooth, and hardly anemic. Of course, that is just my opinion.

Well, I have only heard the 588, so take my comment with a big shake of salt. Do they sound very different or does Meridian have a distinctive 'house sound'?

Jul 2, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #72 of 127
Quote:

Well, I have only heard the 588, so take my comment with a big shake of salt. Do they sound very different or does Meridian have a distinctive 'house sound'?

I have never heard the 588 so I can't really say. I only know how the G08 sounds. You should definitely try to listen to one. I can't say for sure, but I don't think you will find it dry or anemic. Keep in mind though, that both my amp and preamp are also somewhat smooth and warm.

Jul 2, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #73 of 127
The Meridian G08 is a much better CD player than the 588 - I actually prefer the Benchmark DAC1 and Bel Canto DAC2 to the 588. Still your description of the 588 is odd. Every Meridian CD player I've heard had a warmish, analogue-leaning sound; the G08 simply refines that, increases resolution and impact and sounds even more vinyl-like. While the G08 does share the Meridian clan's smoothness, it is much more resolving and impact-full. I prefer the G08 Redbook to the DP-85 and DAC1 Redbook any day. Now DP-85 SACD and DAC1 192 kHz DVD-Audio are other issues, however. I cannot wait to hear your rig, Richard!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #75 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kieran Comito
I broke down and ordered a VPI Scout and a Shelter 501 cartridge from Todd. It should be fun comparing the two formats. For cd players I have the Naim CDS 2 and a Cary 303/200.

You made an excellent choice in tt's. It sounds great and looks great. It was one of the few audio components I had that my wife actually commented on how good it looked. Enjoy your new tt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back