Vinyl, What Is The Deal
Jul 12, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #121 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
If the cart's VTA or VTF is way off, the music can sound thin, hollow and strident.

I nearly drove myself nuts once trying to get the perfect setting for different record weights. I had to put the issue temporarily aside for the sake of my mental health! And then one day watched a newly arrived, badly warped record have my arm imitate the cart on a kiddie carnival rollercoaster "Wheeee!" up and down it went and I heard no fluctuation of tonality. Since that epiphany I haven't been too obsessive about VTA.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW I took a quick leisurely stroll through this thread as I hadn't really read any before my first post and there are some funny things written by the vinyl naysayers. The denials have become clichéd, tired, boring.

Jul 12, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #122 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
I nearly drove myself nuts once trying to get the perfect setting for different record weights. I had to put the issue temporarily aside for the sake of my mental health! And then one day watched a newly arrived, badly warped record have my arm imitate the cart on a kiddie carnival rollercoaster "Wheeee!" up and down it went and I heard no fluctuation of tonality. Since that epiphany I haven't been too obsessive about VTA.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW I took a quick leisurely stroll through this thread as I hadn't really read any before my first post and there are some funny things written by the vinyl naysayers. The denials have become clichéd, tired, boring.

I am so new that I have no idea what is or is not possible, but one thing is for sure, my SME can handle some serious warps! GWN setup my rig and I received this HORRIBLY warped NEW record (bitter bitter about paying 40 bucks for this) and well, the sounds was spot on! The arm did what it needed to do, up and down like you say...a rollercoaster
wink.gif
No problems!

What I am interested in now at this point is learning to setup a cart on my own (I just need a few tools) and trying out a tubed phonostage. I want to try the Ear 834p, the new Eastern Electric Company phono, the new Jolida phono and the Hagerman Trumpet low MC version. The Trumpet is WAY outta my price range (as are all of them save for the Jolida really) but I will sell my blood if needed to get a tubed phono if after hearing, it smokes my P75.

As for the naysayers, they don't know what they are missing, my cd player can sound very warm and rich, and the tubes at that second order harmonics needed sometimes to help the cd along...and even then, the records never have that odd unnatural sound that cd's seem to have often enough. That aspect is worth the price of entry. That and the fun I have watching the big black discs spinning around. Yeah, I'm ADHD and when things cna calm me down, I stick with them
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #125 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool
I think the new Marantz TT is a reskinned Clearaudio deck, a high-end belt-drive.

Yup, that's a Clearaudio design.

Quote:

But the Denon is a highly specified direct drive aimed at the audiophile rather than the DJ market.

DP-500M/1300M? Hmmm... the arm (should be the same as on the pro model DP-DJ151) is a pretty shabby Technics clone, if you ask me. I guess, I'd rather recommend to go for the older DP-47F...

Quote:

This is all the more noteworthy since aside from stalwarts like the Technics SL1200/1210, it's imitators, and a few perfunctory low-end models, no Japanese manufacturer has offered any kind of audiophile turntable for 20 years.

That's a bit of an overstatement, I'd say. For example, Technics at least offered most of their really good stuff till the late 80s, and some of the good Denons were available much longer. Another nice one was the CEC ST-930 (http://www.cec-international.de/pages/s11.htm) - officially available over here till 2001/2002.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jul 14, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #126 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Yeah bad records are still better than bad CDs.

You must have never heard RCA's great contribution to mankind, DYNAFLEX! Pick up a first pressing of David Bowie's Low to hear a bad LP that sounds worse than dirt!

See ya
Steve

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:00 PM Post #127 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
DP-500M/1300M? Hmmm... the arm (should be the same as on the pro model DP-DJ151) is a pretty shabby Technics clone, if you ask me. I guess, I'd rather recommend to go for the older DP-47F...

Yes I think it is the DP1300M. I have never heard either of these decks but Japan's Stereo Sound Magazine ranked this Denon turntable 2nd after the LP12 in their favourite decks of the year last year, ahead of decks by Nottingham Analogue, Oracle, Clearaudio, Avid, Thorens and Wilson Benesh, so I would class it as fairly audiophile in aspiration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
That's a bit of an overstatement, I'd say. For example, Technics at least offered most of their really good stuff till the late 80s, and some of the good Denons were available much longer. Another nice one was the CEC ST-930 (http://www.cec-international.de/pages/s11.htm) - officially available over here till 2001/2002.

Perhaps a little overstatement ! But I think the point that the Japanese are showing an increased interest in making highend turntables again holds? Or maybe they are just keeping it all for themselves and sending us all their Sanyo compo systems.....I never saw a CEC, it looks cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back