Vinyl through cans...OH YEAH!
Sep 9, 2009 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 112

Dinan

100+ Head-Fier
Being a high-end audio guy, I put together a pretty nice headphone rig to primarily to listen to MP3 files on my computer in the morning as I replied to email. Once again again being a high-end audio guy, I couldn't leave well enough alone and started wondering about spinning records on the headphone rig. One thing lead to another and and I ordered a Clearaudio Emotion CMB (perfect size for my smallish headphone rack), Meastro cartridge, and Smartphono phono pre to give a whirl...

OMG! I have to say that I am BLOWN away by a relatively affordable ($3K) analog rig through my headphone setup compared to my pretty serious digital front end. I think I might have to go vinyl with headphones almost 100% of the time now.
L3000.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 112
Yeah. I do love spinning vinyl on my more modest VPI HW-19 Jr (modified) through headphones. Especially now that my subwoofer is off in the shop. Breaking in my HF-2's this way.

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hm.. i dont get that oh yeah on my clearaudio emotion
do i need an upgrade on the cartridge
angry_face.gif

^what cartridge do you use? what is your preamp?

My clearaudio ambient cmb /Lyra Helikon SL/ASR Basis Exclusive is unbelievable, I agree with the OP, vinyl is the crap! Ive never heard any digital source that approaches the sound of analogue, sadly, I mostly use my headphones with digital, having a TT in my office is a no no.

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 112
Yep. This is why I stopped using and eventually sold my computer-as-source setup. Vinyl is that good. SACD similarly put in a deep hook. If you ever get the itch, try some SACDs, too.

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sadly, I mostly use my headphones with digital, having a TT in my office is a no no.

Me too! I can only listen to digital source with headphones at work and must confess that I don't use my turntable nearly as much as my ipod!
frown.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 112
Quote:

i use ortofon super OM thru emotiva preamp.

You definitely need to change cartridge first, and then the preamp!!! For me the highest standard in affordable cartridges its set by the Denon 103R, if its still to much, in the low low end the Shelter 201 also cuts it. You will hear so much difference that you may think you bought a new table
o2smile.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #9 of 112
Quote:

hm.. i dont get that oh yeah on my clearaudio emotion
do i need an upgrade on the cartridge
angry_face.gif

Keep in mind that 90% of the sound comes from the cartridge and the phono-pre, not the table (but the table is still very important).

So a cheap cartridge and phono stage on a killer table will sound bad but a killer cartridge and phono stage on a cheap table will sound fantastic.

I would obviously go for a good balance and in my case it was a $1000 cart and $600 phono stage for the headphone rig.

Based on what I am hearing from it, I am tempted to go to a much better cartridge and phono pre.

So replace your cartridge and enjoy!

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #11 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep. This is why I stopped using and eventually sold my computer-as-source setup. Vinyl is that good. SACD similarly put in a deep hook. If you ever get the itch, try some SACDs, too.

I have a similar experience. I was desperately trying to find a good usb dac for my flac files that was reasonable in price. I managed to setup my VPI and a Dynavector 10x5 while searching and started on my small collection of LP's. After barely a week with my analog setup i gave up on the dac and invested on a better cart (XX2Mk2). My system has never sounded this musical before. A different level of experience altogether.
icon10.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #12 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind that 90% of the sound comes from the cartridge and the phono-pre, not the table (but the table is still very important).

So a cheap cartridge and phono stage on a killer table will sound bad but a killer cartridge and phono stage on a cheap table will sound fantastic.

this is categorically untrue and probably the most repeated audio misinformation. Motor, plater and plinth are crital to sound and changes in any of these can yield large sonic changes and upgrades. The tonearm can make or break you as well.

I'd take a lesser phono pre and cart to step up to a better table, remembering that in analog price and quality can be deceptive.

I'd take a denon 103 on an aries 3 over a shelter 7000 on a scout

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #14 of 112
Quote:

as for pre phono, i think my emotiva is alright.
im now thinking about upgrading the cartridge.

any recommendations, besides denon 103?

Emotiva?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back