Vinyl starter rig?
Dec 8, 2007 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Gil Schwartzman

500+ Head-Fier
I just found out today that one of my favorite bands is releasing all three of their albums on vinyl later this month. I've wanted to get a vinyl setup for a while... this is the push.

However, I know very little about vinyl. I have no idea what is good and what is not. As such, I ask for help. I will need both a turntable and pre-amp. I'd like to keep it at $200-$300.

I am open to any suggestions. Also, if you happen to have something for sale, let me know, I may take it.

Dec 8, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 17
Read post number 5 IN THIS THREAD

PM me or post on this thread if you have any other questions.

Dec 8, 2007 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 17
Your budget is just on the knife's edge. You can pick up a good phono pre-amp for U$60, but turntable and cartridge need a bit more luck and patience if you want to score on a bargain.

Dec 8, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 17
The best new deck available is the Technics 1210 @ $399.If I were to go used I would try to find a very clean Dual 1019,build a Hagerman Bugle phono preamp,install an Audio Technica AT120E,and call it a day.I have never owned a Dual 1019 but have it on good authority its tonearm is very underrated and it also has a fashionable rim drive platter.On the down side,its bearings are not as good as the Thorens and has a fairly complicated mechanism.

Dec 8, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what would be a good cartridge and tube preamp for that technics?

I would install a better tonearm on it before I would spend much on an expensive cartridge or tube preamp.A MM Audio Technica with a Hagerman Bugle will take you pretty far.

Dec 8, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your budget is just on the knife's edge. You can pick up a good phono pre-amp for U$60, but turntable and cartridge need a bit more luck and patience if you want to score on a bargain.

I was afraid of that. I could probably spend more if it was worth it... i don't want to put to much into it to find that its not for me. I've never actually even heard a vinyl rig, it's a curiosity as much as anything.

Dec 8, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #8 of 17
I believe Music Direct is selling an entry level Denon table with built-in phono stage for $150. Might be worth a look.

Dec 8, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #9 of 17
FYI - Many vinyl releases today from popular artists are digital transfers. I was as disappointed as anyone after researching this. I was considering a vinyl system as well, but decided against it. Now I am 100% behind computer based audiophile systems. But, I still like vinyl when produced correctly!

Dec 8, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #10 of 17
There are several threads here on low-budget vinyl with loads of excellent information.

I was unsure about vinyl last year, but found an excellent deal locally on a Rega Planar 3 and took the plunge. It was completely worth it. Took a little fiddling, but I loved the sound and vinyl became my favorite source. Still like digital, but vinyl is my favorite.

You might want to read through the Vinyl Anachronist articles:

The Vinyl Anachronist

Heaps of good, well-written information there. It pushed me over the edge on vinyl.

Dec 8, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by cconnaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI - Many vinyl releases today from popular artists are digital transfers. I was as disappointed as anyone after researching this. I was considering a vinyl system as well, but decided against it. Now I am 100% behind computer based audiophile systems. But, I still like vinyl when produced correctly!

Even digital transfers can be superior to the RBCD before the mastering engineers don't typically ruin the music with compression on vinyl.

Dec 9, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would install a better tonearm on it before I would spend much on an expensive cartridge or tube preamp.A MM Audio Technica with a Hagerman Bugle will take you pretty far.

is it that bad on the technics 12x0 MK5?

Dec 9, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

The stock Technics 1200 tonearm is perfectly serviceable.Its basically a high end table with a midfi arm.I sometimes see people installing very expensive cartridges on these things just to end up disappointed that the turntable doesn't sound as good as their VPI Scout.The tonearm is far more important than the cartridge in a turntable set-up.I would much rather spend $2000 on a tonearm than $500 on a cartridge.Tonearms last forever while cartridges are pretty much throw away items.

Dec 9, 2007 at 11:53 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Not really. I know quite a few DJs who have been using the standard arm without it affecting their income.

I went away from all the recommended turntables myself when I bought my decks. I am glad I did since the current price for two of them make my initial purchase a shrewd one. One of my TT is a Micro Seiki DDX-1000. There is one on eBay right now that is making my eyes water at it current auction price of about U$1200 without arm. See here.

Based on my own tests, I also bought a Sony PS-6750 TT. They are going dirt cheap at around U$200 with an arm design that is very similar to another Sony arm that goes for around U$1000 when they show up on eBay. The mat is another advanced piece of engineering. A similar kind of mind sells for close to U$200 these days. Add these figures up, an d that PS-6750 is a real find bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back