Vinyl starter rig?
Dec 9, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stock Technics 1200 tonearm is perfectly serviceable.Its basically a high end table with a midfi arm.I sometimes see people installing very expensive cartridges on these things just to end up disappointed that the turntable doesn't sound as good as their VPI Scout.The tonearm is far more important than the cartridge in a turntable set-up.I would much rather spend $2000 on a tonearm than $500 on a cartridge.Tonearms last forever while cartridges are pretty much throw away items.

Theres a few versions of th Technics 12x0 on musicians friend, some have "upgraded" tonearms - is it worth springing for those or getting the cheapest 12x0 and getting a better tonearms, and what tonearm is recommended in this case? thanks!

Dec 9, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Theres a few versions of th Technics 12x0 on musicians friend, some have "upgraded" tonearms - is it worth springing for those or getting the cheapest 12x0 and getting a better tonearms, and what tonearm is recommended in this case? thanks!

All of the tonearms are the same with small improvements in the wiring.The 1210 MKII is the one you want.The Rega 250 is the least expensive tonearm to use.You can get an armboard from either Origin Live or soundsupports.Several places sell upgraded Rega 250 tonearms including Origin Live.I have an Origin Live Silver tonearm on my table and they make 4 models better than that one so you can easily run out of money before you run out of upgrade possibilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back