Vinyl Corner. Music, Gear, Experiences.
Jan 14, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #2,476 of 2,710
I feel just talking about Wagner is liberating. A bit salty too. Plenty for a big Meatloaf. It's disgusting if you think about it. A minor argument just seems meaningless compared to that.

I enjoyed the silly movies, only I didn't get who is who. Or what clip started it all. Or was it just a comment? To what video? Link?

Jan 14, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #2,477 of 2,710
Oh, I just had a friend over to show off my streamer. Compared Dominique Fils-Aimé to lp. I had Qobuz in 16/44k, on SSD in 24/88 both over Ares II r2r dac, which sounded quite good, but then on lp... So much better. More fluid, lifelike, dynamic. More dynamic was his first comment. I agree.

Jan 15, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #2,478 of 2,710
I could be wrong but wasn’t Dominique Fils-Aimé recorded natively in digital?
For whatever reason, LPs with digitally recorded albums still have an edge over digital streaming.

Jan 15, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #2,479 of 2,710
Yup. Strange but true.

Jan 18, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #2,480 of 2,710
Better sample of ultrasonic vs new LP.
Two copies of exactly the same Blue Note title. One, brand new and opened in front of your eyes. No cleaning whatsoever. The other, my older copy. Played once or twice and ultrasonic cleaned before demo via HumminGuru ultrasonic cleaner.

Jan 19, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #2,481 of 2,710
I listened on my bedroom system and what I could tell is that the new lp is pressed on considerably better vinyl. The 2nd sample had a lot of crackle for an almost new and thoroughly cleaned lp. However... I don't think it sounded bad. I had the idea it sounded fresher, maybe different mastering.

I'm a bit occupied with my new toy. So I don't gave much to say atm about vinyl. It'll come...

Jan 19, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #2,482 of 2,710
I listened on my bedroom system and what I could tell is that the new lp is pressed on considerably better vinyl. The 2nd sample had a lot of crackle for an almost new and thoroughly cleaned lp. However... I don't think it sounded bad. I had the idea it sounded fresher, maybe different mastering.

I'm a bit occupied with my new toy. So I don't gave much to say atm about vinyl. It'll come...
Actually, first sample is opened/played and ultrasonic cleaned vinyl. Second sample is brand new out of the box.

New toy enthusiasm is understandable. 😂

Also, this is available for preorder. First Kevin Grey all tube engineering, recording and mastering from his new label studio.
CC9CBCFC-BBB2-4A57-A2EB-664550FE332E.jpeg

If any of my thread buddies in EU isn’t able to get it but want it. Let me know. I’ll have more then few copies of it.

Jan 19, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #2,483 of 2,710
I have no idea what that is.... Yet.

Also: so I got it the wrong way 'round? The crackling lp is the new reissue? That can't be right. That's not new as it should be.

The fun thing about new toys is that you discover old things. Like an old video of my system filmed with a crap mobile phone. About 15 years ago. Totally different system. Yet it sounded very good. I had only a Pro-ject Perspective with the Kiseki (I guess) and maybe still the crappy Musical fidelity xlp can? The tube amp is a simple Chinese 10W SE: Yarland FV34a with KT77 tubes. I can see the Audio Note Oto SE (EL84 parallel for 10W) that was demoted. A myriad cd100 cd-player that was quite 'meh' compared to modern dacs. And the Reference3a Master Controls were blazing! You could see the 8" woofers blaze. With just a few watts.

Strange that that stuff was quite expensive. It's just since recently that I've bought new gear that is really more expensive. I have constantly upgraded, but 'downvalued' as far as pricing. Now I have a much better system, yet the fun factor was already great. It had a lot more irritating flaws though.

Fun to see how that journey goes.

I also got my longer cables today. A usb a to b and an hdmi 8k. In a bag around a bubble envelope and another box, containing a luxury display box where there was a other plain glossybwhite box inside, and there... I found a beautifully made €30 Chinese 2m HDMI cable with real metal plugs and shiny silver braid. So I had to do the shelf crawl. Its nice to have proper cables hidden out of sight that work as expected.

Now I have the streamer connected via USB, and everything (PCM and dsd) works native and it sounds a bit better. Good. But still it can't hold a candle to vinyl.

This does make me realise, old tech and new tech, everything is still improving.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #2,484 of 2,710
I have no idea what that is.... Yet.

Also: so I got it the wrong way 'round? The crackling lp is the new reissue? That can't be right. That's not new as it should be.

The fun thing about new toys is that you discover old things. Like an old video of my system filmed with a crap mobile phone. About 15 years ago. Totally different system. Yet it sounded very good. I had only a Pro-ject Perspective with the Kiseki (I guess) and maybe still the crappy Musical fidelity xlp can? The tube amp is a simple Chinese 10W SE: Yarland FV34a with KT77 tubes. I can see the Audio Note Oto SE (EL84 parallel for 10W) that was demoted. A myriad cd100 cd-player that was quite 'meh' compared to modern dacs. And the Reference3a Master Controls were blazing! You could see the 8" woofers blaze. With just a few watts.

Strange that that stuff was quite expensive. It's just since recently that I've bought new gear that is really more expensive. I have constantly upgraded, but 'downvalued' as far as pricing. Now I have a much better system, yet the fun factor was already great. It had a lot more irritating flaws though.

Fun to see how that journey goes.

I also got my longer cables today. A usb a to b and an hdmi 8k. In a bag around a bubble envelope and another box, containing a luxury display box where there was a other plain glossybwhite box inside, and there... I found a beautifully made €30 Chinese 2m HDMI cable with real metal plugs and shiny silver braid. So I had to do the shelf crawl. Its nice to have proper cables hidden out of sight that work as expected.

Now I have the streamer connected via USB, and everything (PCM and dsd) works native and it sounds a bit better. Good. But still it can't hold a candle to vinyl.

This does make me realise, old tech and new tech, everything is still improving.
Let me clarifiy.
I have 3 copies of that Blue Note album.
Exactly the same copies/pressing.
All bought around the same time.
One was opened and played couple times and there other two were in their original sealed plastic.
For that demo, I’ve cleaned that older/opened/played record and recorded.
That would be sample one.
The other sample (you can see it it the vid) is from never opened or cleaned copy of the same pressing. That would be sample two. The noisy one.

BTW I’m not familiar with that artist that K. Grey is releasing as well. I have heard her music before but that’s about it.
At least for me, it’s a bit of a historic/sentimental release since it’s his very first release that he engineered, mastered and produced. On all new, all tube system. That’s probably the only reason why I am getting this album. But it doesn’t sound bad from what I’ve sampled. So…. it should be interesting.

Jan 20, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #2,485 of 2,710
Fun fact. All HDMI and most if not all USB cables are made in China.
Even the ridiculously priced boutique brands. 😉

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #2,486 of 2,710
That is correct. It's not feasible to make cables locally. There are only a few that make boutique cables and they are very expensive because of the hours required.... And then they get copied in China.

Don't get me wrong, cables do make a difference. Like I told you a with my recent 3 arm vinyl setup, it was not so easy to get everything hum free and quiet. The smaller the voltage the bigger the problems (capacity matters). Cables is something that is elusive and mysterious to most 'audiophiles' and so shops make a lot of money on them as accessories.

You can save a lot of money on great cables from China. The big caveat however is that maybe it's the same cable, but if you solder them wrong, it works completely different (as in: it doesn't sound good). Like my nordost copy that has the core and the wrapped around wire soldered together.

Here's a beautiful needledrop I'm enjoying as I type. Beautiful.

Jan 20, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #2,487 of 2,710
That is correct. It's not feasible to make cables locally. There are only a few that make boutique cables and they are very expensive because of the hours required.... And then they get copied in China.

Don't get me wrong, cables do make a difference. Like I told you a with my recent 3 arm vinyl setup, it was not so easy to get everything hum free and quiet. The smaller the voltage the bigger the problems (capacity matters). Cables is something that is elusive and mysterious to most 'audiophiles' and so shops make a lot of money on them as accessories.

You can save a lot of money on great cables from China. The big caveat however is that maybe it's the same cable, but if you solder them wrong, it works completely different (as in: it doesn't sound good). Like my nordost copy that has the core and the wrapped around wire soldered together.

Here's a beautiful needledrop I'm enjoying as I type. Beautiful.

As far as I know, only few dare to make their own USB and non makes their own HDMI. At least that was the case years ago.
Very nice needle drop. Unfortunately I can only do an in room recordings. Not a direct to digital files.

Jan 20, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #2,488 of 2,710
How many people are actually reading this thread?

Jan 22, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #2,489 of 2,710
Ouch...

Do you know that feeling when you see a skateboarder try a slide on a railing next to a flight of stairs and then the skateboard takes it to a different direction? Like that Tchaikovsky Ballet? You can almost feel it... 🥴

That's the feeling I got when I was watching Jay telling what happened to his turntable setup while doing a Q&A about the MoFi speakers. He casually mentions he snagged the cantilever of his $9000 cartridge in the cleaning cloth...

That's like some 20 year old jock folding his new Maserati around a hardwood tree. Some people still need to learn to start small.

Jan 23, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #2,490 of 2,710
Ouch...

Do you know that feeling when you see a skateboarder try a slide on a railing next to a flight of stairs and then the skateboard takes it to a different direction? Like that Tchaikovsky Ballet? You can almost feel it... 🥴

That's the feeling I got when I was watching Jay telling what happened to his turntable setup while doing a Q&A about the MoFi speakers. He casually mentions he snagged the cantilever of his $9000 cartridge in the cleaning cloth...

That's like some 20 year old jock folding his new Maserati around a hardwood tree. Some people still need to learn to start small.

Tragic but funny. I've been blessed with luck in that regard. I did mess up one cart that was loosely stored in inappropriate box. But never while mounted on tt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back