Next week mini reviews:
•Stokowski Rhapsodies 45rpm
•Pearl Jam Rear view mirror (Greatest Hits 1991-2003) Vol. 2 double LP
•Nat King Cole Ultimate Nat King Cole 2LP
If I have time…..
•’18’ Jeff Beck and Johnny Depp album
And
•Jethro Tull Stand Up just released Analog Production reissue

This one will probably deserve a little more in depth look.
👍
(Hopefully there’s something for everyone? :wink: )

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #1,997 of 2,710
I bet that that Victor Feldman was never a cheap record.

I'm listening to Kenny Burrell now, and indeed it's another sonic pearl. The only thing... It's very left speaker, right speaker stereo. Or maybe it's because I had to move my speakers today although I have scotch tape markers on the floor. The music is very relaxing. And the pressing and mastering is so good you'd never know it's an lp (if your not an audiophile).

This is just like perfect street food like a po' boy. . Simple, no frills but a taste of heaven.
Sorry, I’ve either missed this part or you added that part a little later.
Honestly, I am not sure about original price of that Feldman record? It was a side project for Kevin and this other guy with name that escapes me at the moment.
It was probably low budget. Not a lot of fancy gear, sessions, post production cost or advertisement. Recording and cutting was probably done in one day. 30 percent of profits went to musicians , 30 to Kevin and the other guy and 30 went to the label/studio. Don’t know how many copies were made (couple to several thousands, maybe?) but certainly not a whole lot.
It’s not a difficult record to find these days. Prices vary. I would say $10-30? Maybe….? Depends on condition I guess. My copy looked clean when I got it but whatever solution the previous owner used to clean it (or make it look clean/mint) was a nightmare to get rid of. I rather deal with dusty, dirty vinyl than some schmock using some shoe shine to make it appear presentable. I don’t remember how much I’ve paid for it. I am guessing around $15-$20?Sound is fantastic. Dynamics through the roof. Separation, realness, imagining all exemplary. There was enormous surface noise when I tested in my basement rig. Two cleanings later, it got a whole lot better. Manual/vacuum + ultrasonic. It probably still needs a one over just to make sure that all that crap is completely gone. But worth it. At least for me, as a huge K. Gray fanboy, it certainly is.
As to soundstage, imaging of your Burrell record well, I can check that for you. But it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s how it was mixed.
Rudolph Van Gelder had a habit of experimenting with relatively young stereo recordings so who knows? What was it, four years since BN started recording in stereo? And for the first year, year and a half they were mixing/cutting in both stereo and mono at the same time.
It has been a while since I have played that record but I’ll be more than happy to confirm that for you.
And yes, it’s a gem. Sonically and musically. 👍

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #1,998 of 2,710
Moving on to the Red Hot Chili Peppers, this one is close to perfect. It's a thoroughly modern recording in the best way. The only thing is, my room is only just under 4m wide (13') and it's hard to imagine the real band in this space. Because older recordings are a bit further back. It's just like the instruments overlap. Don't take this as a criticism because it's very subliminal and subjective. If my room were bigger it would be unreally realistic.
Glad you like it. Very surprising how well it was done. In this day and age and with that type of music, you usually expect less.
Probably one of my fav releases this month. And probably in top 25 of 2022.

Oct 21, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #1,999 of 2,710
This just arrived for the Dual;

780972E9-8270-46BC-8D45-91B712338B54.jpeg

Oct 21, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #2,000 of 2,710
Looking forward to testing it this evening.

411F97AF-7ACB-44A5-B787-C74BB3694BFF.jpeg

Oct 21, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #2,001 of 2,710
Some of the new 180gm lps i have bought arrive warped to the extent that the stylus bounces (although it does track ok) - i am returning the last one which is a double billie holiday compilation as while i can accept warps on s/h discs, i do not expect it on new ones. I bought it from Amazon UK - the last one i bought (dolly parton/emmylou harris/linda ronstadt trio outakes double was perfect though)

Am i just unfortunate or is this a common experience?

d

Oct 21, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #2,002 of 2,710
It’s a crap-shoot really.

Oct 21, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #2,003 of 2,710
I have also had mixed experiences with Amazon. Sometimes fine, sometimes warped or dished, sometimes with the LP bashed out through the jacket!

On average, I return Amazon LPs at least once…

Oct 21, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #2,004 of 2,710
Some of the new 180gm lps i have bought arrive warped to the extent that the stylus bounces (although it does track ok) - i am returning the last one which is a double billie holiday compilation as while i can accept warps on s/h discs, i do not expect it on new ones. I bought it from Amazon UK - the last one i bought (dolly parton/emmylou harris/linda ronstadt trio outakes double was perfect though)

Am i just unfortunate or is this a common experience?

d
I haven't ordered on Amazon often as I don't like their business practices (especially worker policy). But last time I ordered 2 records bot of them were prepackaged in a labeled sturdy mailorder box (the 1 lp kind made of brown cardboard). These 2 were mailed in a big box. What I take from this is that they are stored in prepackaged boxes. That means they can't be damaged or bent in the Amazon storage facility. Look for the labels on the box. If there's one stating the album title + barcode it's probably an automated storage facility.

So, that leaves only lack of quality control at the pressing plant. Or the time between leaving the plant and automated packaging (unlikely).

Quality control has to work with margins. So that returns stay under a certain %. The tighter the control the less returns. But if the pressure is on... You know what happens to QC. And due to high demand waiting cues are immense. Over 6 months now.

There's only 1 reason I can think of why a 180 grams can cup or twist. And that is not enough cooling time in the mold. The pressing of the puck causes tension in the vinyl and when the vinyl hasn't cooled through it doesn't have the strenght yet to resist that tension, resulting in deformation. Now 180 grams is thicker so it takes considerably longer to cool. If you don't give it that... You got a problem.

If you have problems with warped lp's there are several remedies to tackle the problem.
1 make sure your arm+cartridge are compatible so the resonance is around 10Hz. If it's to low your stylus will hop with the warp. This is rather technical. Most standard arms and cartridges are ok.
2 get a disc flattened to 'iron out' your lp. Very costly but some people have one.
3 and last option and the most practical that helps with discs that are not completely flat is, get a clamp or weight or platter ring to push the record to the platter. The best way that doesn't stress your spindle bearing unnecessarily is a clamp that grips your spindle and pushes your record to the platter. That's why some turntables even have a threaded spindle for the clamp they provide.

I use a smart clamp (Clearaudio or Michel or look on Aliexpress) with a little foam ring around the spindle. This gives the record a little stress that bends it flat to the platter. Like this

____________v--------^||^---------v____________

I actually never get any bent new lp's. I have the og of 'Trio'. Nice record.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #2,005 of 2,710
About Amazon, I have a few things in my basket now. If you monitor the availability you can get pretty nervous. Things jumping in price, not available, different shops that demand high p&p. Even Amazon raising the price of things in your wishlist... It's making me paranoid (or better: wondering if it's chance, change of deliverer or on purpose)

Oct 23, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #2,006 of 2,710
I did some initial listening to both of these yesterday. Just a casual needle drop to get the feel what to expect from these releases.
Well, don’t expect much. However, packaging and pressing was surprisingly satisfying. Sound on the other hand…… well, I am still going to test both on my headphone rig, just to confirm the disappointment.
Especially with Pearl Jam.
Nat King Cole didn’t have any jaw dropping moments either, it shouldn’t have, it’s a compilation after all. But, I expected a little more from that release. Acceptable, listenable, enjoyable even, but such a disservice to the legends of the music. And the costumers.
Cole might be fine for casual listening on Sunday morning. Good tune to set the tone for the day.
I won’t recommend it but I don’t have enormous regret with that purchase. It will get play in my house (probably more than once).

Pearl Jam on the other hand, is trash. I mean TRASH. Cassette tape quality. Maybe good radio station quality??? I think you get the picture.
Perhaps it’s a little too harsh but giving it an actual score would be an insult to the word “score”.
9FBEBF86-CE5F-4EE1-BD7F-4682A2D4035E.jpeg

As trashy as it comes. Will become part of my wood cutting shop background music collection.

8409F452-0FB6-446C-BBFB-27AFAC2F6BA1.jpeg

Just OK. Easy back-burner listen. Initial score:
Sound 3.25-3.5 out of 5. Packaging/pressing 4.25.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #2,007 of 2,710
I had this spinning yesterday as well but I was already in such a disappointing mood that I decided to give it a rest. It sounded very good but I felt that listening session needed a reset after Pearl Jam disaster. Today, football is mostly on the menu but I’ll get to some fun stuff tomorrow. 👍🔥
7178E3B3-8519-4629-8492-5118DAFC4384.jpeg

After having a bitter taste in my mouth after listening to some new releases, I went for some older and OG pressings. And my mood improved dramatically.
689CA433-CB71-48AC-836A-A209F5A87B6D.jpeg

A little shootout

And
0CE421A0-F602-4935-AAAF-2D9FCC47CF3D.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #2,008 of 2,710
About Amazon, I have a few things in my basket now. If you monitor the availability you can get pretty nervous. Things jumping in price, not available, different shops that demand high p&p. Even Amazon raising the price of things in your wishlist... It's making me paranoid (or better: wondering if it's chance, change of deliverer or on purpose)
I ordered maybe a total of 10LPs from Amaz (probably less). Never had to return any. Packaging was always exceptionally bad. Prices on Amaz are always attractive. I can probably save 25 percent on average on popular releases. I choose to deal with others tho.

Oct 23, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #2,009 of 2,710
Probably can’t go wrong with any of these but I’ll let you know more about that. Soon.
4D12E927-D70E-4896-8A6A-DC760A73ECB1.jpeg

F8AEFEFA-2E50-4D1B-8C1D-3617D33E9F0F.jpeg

6B42B07E-C119-43DE-ABDE-57319B587BB0.jpeg

7420596C-D2D6-49C8-8D4C-F3D512E19DBE.jpeg

03BBDAFF-00CE-48D1-9B30-528D624E7652.jpeg

Oct 23, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #2,010 of 2,710
I had this spinning yesterday as well but I was already in such a disappointing mood that I decided to give it a rest. It sounded very good but I felt that listening session needed a reset after Pearl Jam disaster. Today, football is mostly on the menu but I’ll get to some fun stuff tomorrow. 👍🔥

After having a bitter taste in my mouth after listening to some new releases, I went for some older and OG pressings. And my mood improved dramatically.

A little shootout

And
I would expect Stokowski to sound really good.

Pearl Jam is not something you would relate to audiophile, but there is probably better quality in the original records. Compilation records used to reek of easy profit and lackluster execution. Really disappointing when people don't give a s#it, yet still want you to pay in full. That's what they call a 'bad actor. Kinda like that guy in the armygreen t-shirt with the green screen demanding, screaming we give him more billions.

And Elton John, wasn't that the guy who was to blame for monkey pox? Or what did Mr president thank him for? If there's one guy who can snif people out... "You know, I'm the go-to guy! " Exit stage LEFT. NO LEFT. LEFT! JOE LEFT!

I just ordered one more lp on Amazon. I had no idea it was available. Amon Tobin - Isam on lp.

Edit: nice records. The RHCP 'blood sugar sex magic' is arguably their best record musically., sheer drive and energy. I have the original.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back